PDA

View Full Version : Volley fire

Pertinax
30-05-2006, 20:38
Does the base size of all the figures volley firing have to be the same? In otherwords, can a base to base formation of 9 harad archers and a raider with bow fire volley? They have the same weapon, so I would assume the answer is yes.

Likewise, if one of the volley firing figures has the ability to shoot multiple shots, do they fire a single or a multiple shot. In other words, do 9 archers and Haldir in volley formation shoot 10 shots or 11?

And whilst I'm on the topic, if Legolas is volleyfiring with 9 other archers, can he opt to hit automatically?

Argh! Too many questions!

Lord Gordonis
30-05-2006, 21:37
The rules for volley fire must be 10 models on foot not 9 models with a horse archer, so the answer is no unfortunately. Haldir and 9 bowmen will shoot 10 shots not 11 shots, Legolas cannot opt for the automatically hit b/c that is reserved for combat only. Going to read the volley rules again, most likely post another reply here in the morning/afternoon.

LG

Sniper Kelly
30-05-2006, 23:09
The rules for volley fire must be 10 models on foot not 9 models with a horse archer, so the answer is no unfortunately. Haldir and 9 bowmen will shoot 10 shots not 11 shots, Legolas cannot opt for the automatically hit b/c that is reserved for combat only. Going to read the volley rules again, most likely post another reply here in the morning/afternoon.

LG

That's the way I've always interpreted the rules, although the rulebook doesn't specifically answer any of those questions. I think there may have been a FAQ in White Dwarf a few years ago (around the time of TTT) that cleared things up a little. I'll have a look and see what I can turn up.

Just had a quick look, and found this on the GW UK site:

Q – If Legolas or Haldir are part of a group of archers performing Volley Fire, can they still benefit from their special rules to let them have multiple shots ?
A – No, in such a case they may take one shot only.

I also found this, which I didn't know:

Q – Can Might be used when Volley Firing (to alter the chance to hit and/or to wound), or is the Volley Fire shot classed as "random", meaning that Might can’t be used ?
A – Yes it may.

Hmmm....

Pertinax
31-05-2006, 06:09
So if Legolas only fires one shot, can he opt to hit something automatically? His autohit thing only negates any obstacles...?

Gondorian
31-05-2006, 09:06
It doesn't say anywhere that volly firing models have to be on foot. It says any ten bow armed models may fire provided they all have the same bow and move no more than half.
It says that the bases must all be in base contact forming an uniterrupted chain. It says nothing on base size.
I would say you could fire 9 models on foot and one mounted provided the above conditions are met.

Legolas and Haldir get one shot a piece when vollying.

It doesn't say anywhere that you can't use Legolas to hit automatically in vollying but it does say that such fire is completely random so I would suggest that he cannot.

Lord Gordonis
31-05-2006, 11:01
Yes Legolas does get his automaticaly hit while ignoring 'in the way' rolls, now thats very interesting indeed!

Long_Fang
31-05-2006, 18:32
After reading the volly rules I would say they can be used to volly fire as long as:
-uninterupted chain since the beggining of the shooting phase
-no more then half move
-same bows

So yeah you it seems like you may have 5 mounted models and 5 foot models or all mounted models or any combination, as long as they fit the above criteria.

Pertinax
31-05-2006, 20:16
That's my take on it too.

But questions 2 and 3 are in reality the more interesting ones. Especially question 3.