PDA

View Full Version : Why M3S?

Merqu
17-06-2013, 16:43
I really do not understand why the community has decided to call the 'Multi-spectrum Sensor Suit' an M3S... It's weirdly starting to bug me... M3S suggest that the word consists of MMMS not MSSS. The number following a letter suggests x number of that letter is present; examples including, but not limited to, E3, W3, H2O, in fact scrub that example, ALL of chemistry follows this rule. So why M3S? I personally find MS3 runs off of the tongue in a nicer fashion as well.

Please note this is not meant as a complaint, I just really feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Akwikone
17-06-2013, 16:50
I really do not understand why the community has decided to call the 'Multi-spectrum Sensor Suit' an M3S... It's weirdly starting to bug me... M3S suggest that the word consists of MMMS not MSSS. The number following a letter suggests x number of that letter is present; examples including, but not limited to, E3, W3, H2O, in fact scrub that example, ALL of chemistry follows this rule. So why M3S? I personally find MS3 runs off of the tongue in a nicer fashion as well.

Please note this is not meant as a complaint, I just really feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I have yet to see it called the M3S yet, I mostly see it called the MSS. Though I'm pretty sure I'd be just as confused by it as you are, as it's not really an Acronym. I was thinking people would just start calling it the "Sensor Suite".

WLBjork
17-06-2013, 18:13
For that matter, C3I is a common abbreviation for Command, Control, Communication and Intelligence (usually the 3 is superscripted).

Horus Lupercal
17-06-2013, 18:37
Bjork where did you hear that? Are you US military? I have never used or heard that on Brit terms.

Saunders
17-06-2013, 18:40
C3i (lowercase) is the abbreviation for an Improved Command, Control and Communications network console in Battletech :3

xerxeshavelock
17-06-2013, 18:50
First world problems eh...?

Call it yours and see which catches on.

Horus Lupercal
17-06-2013, 20:22
So a game?

IRL that sort of thing is called "C2"

Blinder
17-06-2013, 20:52
C2ISR is also popular, and I've seen C3 outside B'Tech but I don't think I've ever seen it "formally."

As for M3S, MSSS is rather close to the ever-popular MSS so that's not really an option and even if it were it's surprisingly awkward to string "es" together three times when saying or even typing it. I can't think of many examples of \w\w\d outside of chemistry, abbreviations tend to keep numbers "inside" when possible, and there's also the easy recognition of M3S as "em-triple-es" which may have been how the form originated and doesn't map well to MS3.

Horus Lupercal
18-06-2013, 08:08
You do all know these are not real terms an are phrases coined by people who play a lot of games?

Ergo

Call it what ever the hell you want and screw anyone who says otherwise lol.

Magister
18-06-2013, 14:10
Forgive my ignorance but what on earth are you talking about :confused:

TheGreatDalmuti
18-06-2013, 14:27
Is R2D2 rellevant?

War Corgi
18-06-2013, 14:47
Is R2D2 rellevant?

R2D2 is always relevant.

sprugly
18-06-2013, 18:59
The only abbreviation I regularly use when writing an army list is ass-cannon. For some reason my friends find this amusing?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WLBjork
18-06-2013, 20:17
Bjork where did you hear that? Are you US military? I have never used or heard that on Brit terms.

Usually novels based on US military, coupled with having a pretty good memory to boot.

(Although I think I should have said one I commonly see in such cases.)

Can't be sure which ones, but most likely Clancy, Brown and Bond - the sort that usually put a glossary in.

OldMan
18-06-2013, 20:23
I think i am not inteligent enough for this thread.

Horus Lupercal
18-06-2013, 23:16
Lol course you are, I'm in the Infantry and I manage haha.

theunwantedbeing
18-06-2013, 23:38
You can say it two ways.
1. with a longer pause after the M
2. with a longer pause after the 3

If you're saying it after the M, then the number is relevant to the S, which makes sense as there are 3 words beginning with S.
If you're saying it after the 3, then the number is relevant to the M, which makes no sense because there are not 3 words beginning with M.

MS3 is certainly a better way to say it though.

Blinder
19-06-2013, 17:32
MS3 makes me wonder what MS and MS2 did though.

Also,

You do all know these are not real terms an are phrases coined by people who play a lot of games?

Ergo

Call it what ever the hell you want and screw anyone who says otherwise lol.

That doesn't make it any less fun to speculate (and in fact, is far less depressing than dealing with real-life "alphabet soup"). As for the last part of your suggestion, that would largely depend on who was saying otherwise... :)

Horus Lupercal
19-06-2013, 17:34
Epidemus is saying. Because he is the one who has to rally all the Ms and S.

Sternguard777
20-06-2013, 08:19
R2D2 is always relevant.

I'm sigging this.

On topic I am of the opinion that in good company you can call things whatever you bloody well feel like so if the term bugs you, you can replace it with one you prefer. On the internet you can also do whatever you want as its kind of impossible for us to do anything to stop you.

infamousme
20-06-2013, 16:00
I say MS cubed!