PDA

View Full Version : Charging multiple characters out of a unit

Vipoid
17-06-2013, 22:11
Let's say I have 2 characters in a unit, and I want to charge them (but not the unit) at an enemy.

1) Can I charge more than 1 character out of a unit in the same turn?

2) If yes, do those characters become a unit, or are they treated as separate units from that point on?

Valheru
17-06-2013, 22:54
Just read the relevant passage in the rulebook so
1) I would say yes you can charge 1, 2, 3+ out in the same turn
2) I would say no they don't count as one unit but separate units, however you can make units of characters so maybe I'm wrong?!?
If in doubt ask your opponent before the game just in case...

N1AK
19-06-2013, 16:31
You can charge multiple characters out of a unit. They cannot form a unit when they do so. The rules for characters joining a unit are described in the BRB. When the first character charges an enemy unit he is on his own and in combat. The second character can't join his 'unit' because the unit is already in combat.

Vipoid
19-06-2013, 16:40
You can charge multiple characters out of a unit. They cannot form a unit when they do so. The rules for characters joining a unit are described in the BRB. When the first character charges an enemy unit he is on his own and in combat. The second character can't join his 'unit' because the unit is already in combat.

Fair enough.

I wondered if they became a unit because they were already a unit when they charged out, if you see what I mean.

medevilmike
19-06-2013, 22:41
answer this one constantly, and it is pretty easy to use the search option.

Page 99 small rule book: combined units first paragraph "whilst a char is part of a unit, both he and the unit(including any other char that have joined the unit) are treated as a single unit for all rule purposes, save exceptions below...

page 101 small rulebook leaving a unit second paragraph A char can charge out of a unit by declaring a charge in the relevent phase-in which case, he will move and his unit will stay still-it is not permitted to make a charge of its own,though it may make moves in the remaining moves phase as normal.

So to answer more realistically with rules NO only one char can charge out of a unit per turn. the second it declares a charge the rest of the unit(chars included) are prohibited from charging.

T10
20-06-2013, 11:05
Let's say I have 2 characters in a unit, and I want to charge them (but not the unit) at an enemy.

1) Can I charge more than 1 character out of a unit in the same turn?

2) If yes, do those characters become a unit, or are they treated as separate units from that point on?

I say yes. The rules do not allow the unit to also declare a charge when a character has declared a charge out of it, but the individual models are not the same thing as the unit.

-T10

medevilmike
20-06-2013, 22:16
yeah yeah it is see...page 99 combined units. not sure where the disagreement is

the rule quote up there is exact wording, I didnt add the quotes.

FatTrucker
28-06-2013, 21:53
The unit isn't declaring a charge, a character is declaring a charge and leaving the unit therefore I don't see the issue with multiple characters leaving in a single turn since its not the unit declaring a charge.

If that were the case the original character wouldn't be able to leave either since he would still be considered part of the unit even if he declares a charge out of it?

Either the unit declares a charge or a character declares a charge out of it. If a character declaring a charge out is no longer classed as the unit then it applies to however many characters wish to do it since its only the unit that can't charge and characters declaring charges out are not considered part of the unit as they are in fact leaving it.

Mid'ean
28-06-2013, 22:35
This question has come up numerous times and you get the same aurguments for each side. Some believe as T-10 has stated. And some believe as Medevilmike stated.Till FAQ'd discuss it with your opponent/TO. I happen to believe and play it as MMike has stated.

Wilhelm das Blutige
02-07-2013, 10:35
Without referring to the BRB, I would say that multiple characters CAN charge out of a unit, but not as a whole new unit of characters. Each character would have to resolve his/her charge separately.

Characters CAN form an impromptu unit comprised solely of characters. However, in order to do so in the scenario given above (i.e. charge as a unit), the characters would leave the unit and form a new unit in one turn, and charge as a unit on the next turn.

If the characters were to leave the unit and charge an enemy unit, at the same time forming a new unit, this would be like a character charging a unit which is already in combat and joining the friendly unit which is engaged in the combat (which is not allowed).

Characters charging a unit separately may also give certain advantages. For instance, some may may able to attack flanks while others attack the front. The only case I can think of where this would be a disadvantage is if the characters belong to a VC army (or other army that has Unstable rules for the army), lose the combat, and have the losses due to the Unstable rule applied to EACH attacking unit (in this case characters).