PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt. Dwarf Tourny list.

static-breed
31-05-2006, 00:36
I'm attending the same RTT in July as Theadium a few posts below me and am bringing my Dwarfs. Now, this list isn't like many other Dwarf lists in that it doesn;t rely heavily on shooting...at all.

Now for the "infamous" 2500pt. Dwarf list that merciously pounded Theadium into the dirt :) .

Lord 273pts.

shield
rune of cleaving x2
rune of snorri spanglehelm
rune of stone
master rune of challenge
rune of warding
rune of preservation

I have yet to lose my Lord (or Thane in smaller point games) and am very confident in his ability to dish out pain and take it. He goes with the Ironbreakers to make, effectively, an impenitrable wall.

Runesmith 145pts.

master rune of balance
rune of spellbreaking

Runesmith 120pts.

rune of spellbreaking x2

Master Engineer 70pts.

He goes with the second cannon causing D6 wounds on models allowing me to take out big monsters (including treemen with rune of burning) and lone characters if need be.

20 Warriors x3 615pts.

shields
full command

Basically just my main fighting force which win combatsmainly through static CR. They are very reliable in my experience, especially 20 of them.

10 Thunderers 140pts.

Small shooting unit to whittle down the advancing army in order for me to win the combats.

20 Rangers 285pts.

Quarrellers
Sields
Full command

Flank disrupters or surprise flank guard...depending on the situation.

19 Ironbreakers 327pts.

Full command
Rune of Battle
Rune of Stoicism

This unit is my anvil and my hammer. The main problem with these units is the enemy's ability, more often than not, ignore them, but with my Lord's rune of challenge I can make them come to me. So far they've killed everything from a Shaggoth, a 20 man Nurgle Bestigor unit, to a Keeper of Secrets.

Cannon 125pts.

Rune of forging

Cannon 130pts.

Rune of forging
rune of fire

My engineer goes with the second cannon, effectively making it into a large monster killer, and with flaming attack it can easily kill a Treeman which so commonly make their way to the table around here.

10 Slayers 110pts.

Mainly used as a detachment to a flank unit or as a small tarpit for weaker enemy troops.

Gyrocopter 140pts.

Because Wood Elves were so common in the last RTT, this is gonig to help me against them tremendously. It can march block, and easily annihilate weaker rank and file troops.

Any comments are appreciated on my list as the tournament is comnig up soon. What do you think it will have problems it? What should I change?

Thanks in advance.

Theadium
31-05-2006, 02:12
Uhh! Damn this list! May it burn in hell! Dude, I heard (dont ask me where) that there were gonna be some more dwarf and lizardmen players this time than last... ;) No difference, still smash 'em to hell anyway

Starbane
31-05-2006, 12:28
For the lord I'd say drop one rune of cleaving and add one rune of fury.
And give him shieldbeares, those thinsg are worth gold IMO.

I'm not sure of a unit of 20 rangers is going to do that much better than one of 10-15...for scouts, 20 dwarves, who have to rank and file, is just too big a unit.
My advice is to slim it down a bit..

Drop one cannon and take an organ gun: you already got a d6 wounds killing machine for the big targets, now take that organ gun to kill anything that comes near the warmachines.

I'd also give the warriors great weapons, but that's just my way of playing...

For the rest i'd say this list is worth a try.

static-breed
31-05-2006, 19:22
The second rune of cleaving is so is for easily wounding normal troops like warriors and knights, and negate their save as much as possible, since last time there was a Bret. and a knight heavy Khorne Chaos player as well as a bunch of lizardmen.

The scout unit is not only meant for shooting. The 20 men is so, if I so choose at the beginning of the game, I can scout them on one of my unportected flanks for a surprise...The crossbows are more of a bonus in my opinion.

Organ guns are not my thing, I have horrible luck with artillery dice, and those runes of forging on my cannon paid for themselves and more, in the amount of misfires that I was able to reroll.

Adding greatweapons onto the Warriors makes them way too expensive for what they do. My warriors don't need kills. They soak up the wounds with a 3+ combat save and T4 and basically win with ranks, outnumber, standard, etc.

Any more opinions?

Starbane
01-06-2006, 07:59
The scout unit is not only meant for shooting. The 20 men is so, if I so choose at the beginning of the game, I can scout them on one of my unportected flanks for a surprise...The crossbows are more of a bonus in my opinion.

I sugest you take miners then, from what i've seen you'll need some luck having terrain that is able to hide your scouts....a unit of 20 rank 'n file troops just isn't hidden easily. Basically, for this you'd need a building, because any other type of terrain you have to hide behind, makes that you have to move the first turn. Thus being unable to shoot, while standing already halfway the tabletop, which makes the danger for charges all the bigger.
When you decide to put them in your deployment zone because you can't put them anywhere, you'll only be able to use one half at its max for shooting.
So my suggestion still stands: don't use 20 rangers

Adding greatweapons onto the Warriors makes them way too expensive for what they do. My warriors don't need kills. They soak up the wounds with a 3+ combat save and T4 and basically win with ranks, outnumber, standard, etc.

I'm a bit scared then that you have too many units to soak up wounds, and far too few (if any) to counterattac. Remember that even the unit with your lord will always have str4. Soaking up wounds is good, since dwarves are immensively tough to hit, but if you only have warriors with hw + sh, you'll soon find out that this can be disastrous.
I always take a least one unit of hammerers, longbeards or even just warriors with great weapons to counterattack in a scary way...
Remember that though they indeed can soak up wounds, they won't when it comes to troops like chaos knights, grail knights, or any other form of heavy cav....

Akiro
01-06-2006, 12:32
Skaven can massacre and be massacred in equal probability and dwarves are the exact opposite. No one is going to massacre your army but, since your opponent will choose the fights and you lack shooting, fast armies which are played right will score minor victories on you time and again with relative ease...
PS: go down to one cannon in any case.

static-breed
01-06-2006, 22:10
Thank you for your advice, it has kind of...opened my eyes, I like to say, to all the other things in the list. I may think about switching the rangers out for the miners...

Thank for all the criticisms, any more are more than welcome.

WLBjork
02-06-2006, 06:41
If you can find the points, consider upgrading 1 or 2 of your Warrior units to Longbeards. Should you come across a magic or shooting heavy army, Immunity to Panic (plus the ability for nearby warrior units to re-roll Panic) will be useful. Only ever needed the re-roll once, but far less embarrassing than a Warrior unit fleeing.

Also has the benefit that they can hit fairly hard in CC due WS5 S4 too :D

Theadium
08-06-2006, 00:13
I can attest by playing this list everytime I set a model on the board, I will lose against this list. I was doing really good one game, but being retarted as I am (duh) I bunched my people up waiting for my Marauder Horsemen to fall back from the combat they were currently in with the Warrior unit. They however lost the combat 1 turn before my setup was complete, and my chosen got charged on the side, they got pursued and killed and the warriors went into my slaanesh warriors. They too were pursued and killed! This list is scary.

I however, when thinking about it, think it is a rather boring list to play with extensivly. Considering it has like 3 warrior units, I personally think it would be awesome to include some more choices. Of course I dont know anything about Dwarfs...

That sucks with the scouts, we forgot they had to set up behind terrain.

Cant wait till I actually beat this list (as a side question, how do you guys suggest beating this?)