PDA

View Full Version : warhammer escalation - High Elves - Need help

BaronGaston
21-06-2013, 02:01
Just to let you guys know the full deal. I used to play Warhammer fantasy often, however I played Orcs and Goblins, and started playing empire just before I got out.

I am taking advantage of my local hobby shop doing a Warhammer escalation league to get back in years later, and I am doing it with a new army, the High Elves, and I need help.

the league parameters are:
week 1&2 1000 pts
week 3&4 1500 pts
week 5&6 2000 pts
week 6&7 2500 pts

For my week one I am thinking:
Lord: (25%)
Arch Mage level 3 on Great Eagle (25%) to lead the army
Heroes: (16%)
Korhil
Core (45%)
20 Spears W/command
20 Archers W/ command
Special (14%)
10 White Lions

totals out at 935 leaves me with 65 pts to put towards magic items.

My thoughts:
On the upside for 1000 pts I have 2 good size core units and a small special unit with a hero to lead it, and I am hoping that a level 3 mage may give me an edge on other players.

My thoughts on playing them would be to hold them back for a couple of turns and let my enemy approach while my archers pepper the advancing units closing \ charging with my spears and White Lions.

Thoughts?

jayg1357
21-06-2013, 12:28
i would take 10 sword masters instead of the white lions maybe if you have the spare points turn them spearmen to sea guard for more range attack or put a bolt thrower in by dropping 1 archer or spearman.

the mage is a bit vanrable aswell with only a 6+ save hes gonna be delt with fast i would have him on foot with the archers.

BaronGaston
21-06-2013, 20:31
Ok so slight mod to the list. You are prob right about the mage being vulnerable, so I bumped out his bird and will put him with the archers. Bumping his bird freed up points for a Book of Hoeth, and that left m 60 points which I put into a magic banner and standard bearer for the lions. I considered swapping them out for the sword masters but I couldn't see THAT much of a diff to do with them over the lions.

new list looks like:
Lord: (24%)
Arch Mage level 3 w/ Book of Hoeth to lead the army (tucked into archer unit)
Heroes: (16%)
Korhil (tucked in with lions)
Core (45%)
20 Spears W/full command
20 Archers W/ full command
Special (14%)
10 White Lions W/ Standard bearer (bearing banne of the world dragon)

BaronGaston
21-06-2013, 20:59
I could drop the spears W/ full command and replace it with 19 Sea Guard with no command. I'd loose the command and one guy but I could shoot with both units for 2 turns before I moved the sea guard into spear mode. Not having a command with it makes me a little nervous. I could drop the banner from the Lions and add a command to the sea guard and maybe 2 more regular archers.

Zwink
22-06-2013, 10:41
i see the play style youre trying to go for but here are some tips:

at low points, its mostly about tankyness and winning combat rounds.
im personally not a fan of archers, i would drop them for a boltthrower instead, 70 pts just as much dmg (6bolts), can also take out bigger threats. (1 big bolt)
take some phoenix guards instead of the lions, theyre almost as good. but have a 4+ WS (which can be improved by high magic)

25 spears FC
20 phoenix guards (3x7 + archmage)
1 boltthrower
1 Archmage with obsidian item and a dispell scroll (mr stacks with the PG WS) effectively giving you BOTWD for 15-30 pts

you could then have some pts to spare. on fun stuff (an eagle if you want one)
maybe less spears and some silverhelms.

oh and at 1000 pts BSB's are really strong. this is because they keep your army on the board.

Moss
22-06-2013, 14:54
im personally not a fan of archers, i would drop them for a boltthrower instead, 70 pts just as much dmg (6bolts), can also take out bigger threats. (1 big bolt)
But HE archers are both a missile unit AND a combat unit, which is especially important in a game this size where the archers account for a third of your units.

oh and at 1000 pts BSB's are really strong. this is because they keep your army on the board.
Sorry, but I disagree with this one too. I'll make the argument that BSBs are LESS effective in smaller games. It's 150(ish) points to influence 1000pts of models, whereas in a larger game you're paying the same number of points to affect even more models.

That said, if you gave your archers armor and command, they would fill your core requirement (while making them a legit threat in combat). You can swap out the spears and use the points on much cooler things, like dragon princes and an eagle. Or sword masters. Or anything, really.