PDA

View Full Version : Iyanden: A Codex Eldar Supplement and possible implications further down the road.

Chem-Dog
21-06-2013, 03:18
The Iyanden Codex Supplement is receiving some fairly warm receptions as an exploration one facet of background to one of 40K's most significant factions, presenting exclusive information about the craftworld and providing a decent variety of tweaks to the standard list to make running the army a nuanced experience in and of itself.

Which leads to the question, are we to expect a similar approach to other factions within 40K?
Specifically: Marines.

We all know there's a bunch of non Astartes factions with sub-groups that could benefit the players by inclusion as a thing (Ork Klans, IG Regiments and Tyranid Hive Fleets for three) but could this herald the way of things for marines?

I am a supporter of the idea that there is too much repetition of power-armoured armies in 40K, I'm not as militant about it as some but I do think that a release schedule cleared of so many Marines releases does open up the possibility for more stuff, which can only be a good thing.

So would "Blood Angels: A Codex Space Marines supplement" be that much of a wrench given that the Chapter already has kits for all of it's unique units (which could be detailed in a supplement if not adequately supported in the core Codex)?

Would Salamanders/Raven Guard/Imperial Fists/ Iron hands ect be a much more pleasing prospect if it didn't clutter up the model releases with umpteen slight variations on different units or unique units that are then retroactively added to the core list months later (Eg: Storm Raven).

Would Marine flavour XYZ players be pleased that additions to the core Codex would then be available in their sub-faction without waiting for an FAQ or the faction's next time in the limelight (EG: Storm Talons)?

I realise we're not likely to see an end of Multiple Marine Codexes (Codex: Dark Angels was the first clue) but I still think it's a topic that can be interesting to discuss. At the very least it gives us something akin to the Index Astartes for Chapters that aren't "special" enough to warrant a full Codex.

Tl;dr. Could the Codex Supplement be the new faction flavour sauce and will it affect Marines at all?

What do you think?

Spell_of_Destruction
21-06-2013, 04:06
I don't think we're likely to see the likes of Blood Angels or Space Wolves rolled into a small supplement (although this was how they were handled in 3rd and 4th) but it makes perfect sense for the likes of BT. Unless a chapter has high codex deviation then a full codex is excessive. This may seem harsh to BT players but I just can't see them getting a full length 6th ed codex. A couple of extra unit entries and maybe a SC is all that is required to distinguish most chapters from the Ultras.

Dwane Diblie
21-06-2013, 04:45
I expect all the special characters to be in the main Marine Codex. Each supplement will have new Warlord Traits and Wargear options, and maybe a new unit that can be made out of existing stuff or additional rules for existing units ie: Sternguard are scoring for Crimson Fists even though you do not have Pedro Cantor there or something like that.

I do not see any chapter that has more than one divergent kit/unit getting moved to a supplement. This is why I see Black Templars moving to a supplement while the other 3 remain as separate Codices as the only kit they got is the Sword Brethren (the update kit does not count for the same reasons Shoulder Pads don't count).

Dangersaurus
21-06-2013, 05:48
Dollars to dognuts there will be an Ultramarine supplement long before we see one for any other chapter.

Hendarion
21-06-2013, 06:27
Does it really matter if you call it "Codex: Blood Angels" or "Blood Angels: A Space Marine Codex Supplement"?

squeekenator
21-06-2013, 08:11
Does it really matter if you call it "Codex: Blood Angels" or "Blood Angels: A Space Marine Codex Supplement"?

A codex supplement would still use Codex: Space Marines and would be largely the same army with a few tweaks and new units here and there, as befits a specific chapter, whereas entirely separate codexes, as we have seen, include all kinds of ridiculous new units and weapons and such in order to justify giving them a separate codex.

Brother Asmodeus
21-06-2013, 08:31
This type of G-Dubya product ends up being utter dogsh*t.

Fanboi's will creeeem mightily up until their Biel-Tan, Alaitoc et al get nothing or need to wait 5 years to have their supplement done. A Space Marine series would be horrific.

I think the product itself is fantastic but the creative desire vs business need vs time constraints and resources is then washed away is a sea of conflicting issues that just ends up annoying fans the world over. I would love for this to be how its done as a format but the universe is just that, a universe. Its too damn big.

WH40K is a far future space opera. The company supporting has weak 1930's radio transmitter that cannot hope to reach the scope of its products grandeur. Shame really.

Gingerwerewolf
21-06-2013, 08:41
I dont think that they will use it as the way forward for Space Wolves or Blood Angels.

Those two Codecies have been around since 2nd edition and as has already been said, are fully deviant from the Codex forces that Ultra's represent. Hell Space Wolves was the first Marine Codex of 2nd edition - making it the first Marine Cedex ever!

What you are kinda failing to see is that if they release a Blood Angels Codex, they leave themselves available to do a Blood Angels Suppliment for Flesh Tearers / Blood Drinkers.

The Iyanden Suppliment was a test, but to be fair it probably is where they want to go with this - as a way to release waves of new models later on all tied up in a book release - This one was the Undead Eldar release - Wraith<insert name here> And we can all see the Wild Riders / Saim Hann one next for eldar

Im also pretty sure that news has sneaked out that there will be Marine Suppliments, and that the first will be White Scars. Its also been leaked that Codex: Marines will be exactly that, not "Codex: Ultramarines and any other Codex Chapter" and that Ultras will get their own suppliment.

If this is the way forward though - Rulebook per race and then Suppliments for additionals I could not be happier. Even if I turn out wrong about BA's and SW's

Hendarion
21-06-2013, 09:43
A codex supplement would still use Codex: Space Marines and would be largely the same army with a few tweaks and new units here and there, as befits a specific chapter, whereas entirely separate codexes, as we have seen, include all kinds of ridiculous new units and weapons and such in order to justify giving them a separate codex.
Blood Angels may not use the vanilla Codex currently, but is still quite the same in many regards. Nobody officially stated yet that your guess is correct. So in my eyes, I don't see any difference between a possible coming supplement or a stand-alone-Codex in that regard, that it doesn't make a difference if there's a Codex or a supplement for Blood Angels. Both means a separate book with BA-stuff inside. The only difference is the name on the front.

T10
21-06-2013, 12:17
Seeing as Dark Angels already have their own Codex, it seems odd to introduce a common Space Marine Codex plus Chapter-specific supplements to cover Blood Angels and Space Wolves.

Not saying that it wouldn't work, though.

-T10