PDA

View Full Version : Bearminator paints (not so) dark eldar

TheBearminator
23-06-2013, 18:18
Greetings and welcome to my first paint (b)log! Some people in this forum might know me as a chatterbox who paints everything in browns and greens. This time though I'll go nuts. For my dark eldar army with eldar allies I plan on using turquoise, black, yellow and purple.

Please note that the army as well as this log will foremost be about vehicles and airbrushing, since that is my new passion. Also, I'll strive to include good quality pictures only, which is why I've employed my girlfriend as photographer. So please feel free to give her some cred if you like the photos. And of course I'm always more than happy to receive some feedback on my paint jobs. Please enjoy! :)

TheBearminator
23-06-2013, 22:48
Scourges
Beautiful models really. Not very happy with my paint job, but Im still learning how to paint armour. From now on I won't be drybrushing as much as it seems to give the models a very dusty not-really-eldar look. On the other hand they look dirty and worn which I like. However, here they are! Feedback and awesome ideas warmly appreciated!:) I guess what I struggle with most is finding a quick way to get nice shades to the turquoise. Ain't more than one such color in the vallejo range. Thought I could shade it with a watery layer of black but didn't work very well.

Memnon
23-06-2013, 23:13
Not happy? Seriously? They're lovely! The wings are especially stunning, bit the dusky blue armour is just spot on!

I'll be watching with interest, keep it coming

Memnon

TheBearminator
23-06-2013, 23:31
Thanks alot mate! I have to say they actually look a lot better in the pictures than on my table. Probably my girlfriends photo skills that did the trick. Also, those schibor bases are truly magnificent. ;)

TheBearminator
24-06-2013, 15:04
Kabalites
The first DE soldiers I painted. Once again, kind of a dusty impression. This time though I applied the turquise with an airbrush to get some natural shade. Will try that again but perhaps using several mixes of the color to get nice shades. If you have a good recipee on dark turqoise, please enlighten me. :)

Sammun
24-06-2013, 21:51
Very cool.

TheBearminator
25-06-2013, 23:10
Venoms
I know, I've posted a picture of these before, but this is my log and so I'm loggin. ;) I really like these models, and I had a blast painting them. Did a first try using home made stencils in a flame (sort of) pattern. Ended up quite nice even though I don't really get the impression of flames when I see them. Also happy with the hazard striping as I think it brings some nice contrasting colors. And finally I love my girlfriend, who was the photographer this time as well. :)

Dizzy91
26-06-2013, 00:08
Liking the venom's man great job, love the colors you have chosen!

Aryllon
26-06-2013, 15:26
Yep, these are looking great. Love the stencil effect!

Dark turquoise - GW have Stegadon Scale Green and Incubi Darkness, either should suffice but judging by your primary colour I'd try the former first. Alternatively just mix black with your main colour (seriously, that's how I got the dark turquoise colour for my witchblades and ghostsword).

I agree on not drybrushing smooth eldar armour... maybe on the cloth bodysuits at a push, certainly no problem on the feathers & hair, but better to edge highlight armour panels with thinned (lahmian or water) paint I reckon.

TheBearminator
26-06-2013, 17:41
Thank you guys! I have to say it doesn't take a lot of time to learn how to do impressive paint jobs with the airbrush. But then of course I've also put a lot more effort into the venoms than the other models above, airbrushing is my new passion after all. Think the venoms was the seventh and eighth model I did with the airbrush.

Will try to mix in some black next time and get serious about zenithal highlighting. Thanks once again! :)

TheBearminator
30-06-2013, 07:33
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/30/aqazeras.jpgReaver in progress
Haven't really decided how to paint the riders yet. I'm just happy I could finally get my airbrush working again. A worn out seal seems to have been the problem. Now I'll just need to find out where to order some new ones.

About paint job then. Think the hazard striping works better on the venoms actually, but I'll still go with it as it's gonna be one out of few things that contribute to a uniform impression in this army if I execute my plan of using lots of colours (reavers were supposed to be purple, now there turquoise with a purple twist, may not show in the picture though). :)

Rogue Star
30-06-2013, 22:32
Very nice! How'd you do the purple-tinted ground effect on the Warriors, if I might ask? :)

TheBearminator
30-06-2013, 22:58
Very nice! How'd you do the purple-tinted ground effect on the Warriors, if I might ask? :)

Oh, that. My memory fails me, but I think I covered the base with the purple colour from the vallejo model range (don't remember it's name), then some heavy drybrushing with vallejo warlock purple followed by lighter drybrush with squid pink and finally some dead white. :)

TheBearminator
19-08-2013, 10:52
Some progress at last! Decided to try a darker approach to the second unit of kabalites. So started off with vallejo Falcon turqouise in a zenithal highlighting manner, then emphasized the shadows using GW:s green and black shade (my girlfriend actually did most of this step).

I'm... quite happy with how it turned out. When you put them next to the first (bright) unit of kabalites, it's obvious which unit has got the most depth. The bright ones would really need some shades as well, and I also realized their shoulder pads never got finnished (pure bleached bone).

However I would like the raised parts to appear more striking. Don't really know how to achieve that. I'm a rookie at using shades. It appears that if I leave areas without shade the result comes out less unified. I guess you could say the shade also works as a filter in that way. So then I try using thinned down shade (and not the black one) on raised areas, but it still kills a lot of the bright turqoise. Guess I must finnish them with some subtle highlighting or something to make the transition smooth. Also have the idea of starting off with a white undercoat.

Almost forgot, here are the pictures. Enjoy! Comments always warmly apprechiated! :)

TheBearminator
20-08-2013, 09:25
Also I was so inspired by another DE log by the talented Mr. Rovient that I couldn't help but try the colors out for myself (even though I use the Vallejo range and not Citadel). It also convinced me to give washes another go. Please note that this is early work in progress. As they don't match the rest of my kabalites, I guess I'll rip the arms of three of them and use them as blasterborn. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/6a4e6a9u.jpg

GlenMorray
07-09-2013, 23:35
Hey Berminator looking good, any more progress recently? You decide on army colour?

TheBearminator
08-09-2013, 04:34
Hey Berminator looking good, any more progress recently? You decide on army colour?

Hi yourself, yeah some progress finally, but not really ready for the camera yet. ;) Yeah, as this is my wacko army, I decided to go with turquoise for kabalites and pink for wyches (as I said, the orange unit was a test but I could always use them as trueborn).

GlenMorray
09-09-2013, 22:16
I really like the Turquiose, glad you've gone that way. The lens flare on the eyes.

1. Sun burst yellow.
2. Orange?
3. Highlight SB yellow + skull white?
4.Rims of armour Orange?

TheBearminator
09-09-2013, 22:45
I really like the Turquiose, glad you've gone that way. The lens flare on the eyes.

1. Sun burst yellow.
2. Orange?
3. Highlight SB yellow + skull white?
4.Rims of armour Orange?

Haha! Something like that. Sorry, I honestly don't remember. Tried to replicate it on the second (darker) unit of kabalites but didn't get it right. Used Vallejo colors, but in what order I can't recall.

Sunblitz
11-09-2013, 20:54
I do like seeing brighter dark eldar but I must admit I prefer the look of the darker ones :) I'm thinking about doing mine in that sort of brightness and tone but with dark to lighter reds instead of light blues.

TheBearminator
13-09-2013, 00:01
I do like seeing brighter dark eldar but I must admit I prefer the look of the darker ones :) I'm thinking about doing mine in that sort of brightness and tone but with dark to lighter reds instead of light blues.

Interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing them in your painting log soon then. :) There's far to many 'eavy metal inspired dark eldar armies around. It sure looks good with that sharp edge highlight over black, but in the end you grow tired of them. In my experience they suffer from the same lack of creativity as Tau armies used to do the first years, when they all used to be sand colors with digital camo on their vehicles.

GlenMorray
13-09-2013, 09:58
Yea agreed Bear,

I like the light colour, it's a bit misleading in that you think "Oh a nice army" Waaaaaait a minute!

BOOM, DEAD....

TheBearminator
13-09-2013, 11:54
Yea agreed Bear,

I like the light colour, it's a bit misleading in that you think "Oh a nice army" Waaaaaait a minute!

BOOM, DEAD....

That could be the key to success. If you put some time and hard work into each miniature, you're opponents are gonna think "Nice army. This guy obviously spends more time painting than playing. I'll go easy on him." :D

TheBearminator
21-09-2013, 20:56
Progress! :)

I've got two new troop choices painted. An experimental unit of orange kabalites, inspired by a certain painting log on this forum, and my first unit of wyches.

I must say both these colors proved a bit tricky to paint. Most of all I found it hard to highlight the orange kabalites without taking away the punch from the color. But other than that they were really nice to paint both of them. Once again, thanks to my girlfriend for photos and detail work. Maybe I should rename this paint log "Army of Two". ;)

As always, feedback warmly appreciated! :)

TheBearminator
17-10-2013, 10:28
Sneak preview of my latest airbrush experiments! :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/u9yjadys.jpg

Bartali
20-10-2013, 11:00
Interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing them in your painting log soon then. :) There's far to many 'eavy metal inspired dark eldar armies around. It sure looks good with that sharp edge highlight over black, but in the end you grow tired of them. In my experience they suffer from the same lack of creativity as Tau armies used to do the first years, when they all used to be sand colors with digital camo on their vehicles.

I agree, and some nice stuff in this thread. Good use of stencils and masking on your venoms

SDKFZ
20-10-2013, 12:11
Hey, looking ace ! Like the mesh in that last picture.

Painting dark eldar, not (well ehh) dark, is a very cool concept. Like what youre doing here, Mate :)

Vehicles really jump at you, the warningstripes are a cool addition.

Im in, sub. added.

TheBearminator
20-10-2013, 16:27
Oops. Sorry. Missposted.

Karak Norn Clansman
20-10-2013, 16:59
Very nice Dark Eldar army. The somewhat bright colour scheme fits the miniatures and is well executed. The airbrushing is also ace.

TheBearminator
20-10-2013, 17:22
Thank you guys! It's always nice to get some appreciating feedback on the many hours of work. Even if the "work" can be very pleasant. :)

I can't really compare to anyone else's paint jobs since I don't have any pals that use an airbrush. But I think I'm currently doing airbrush job number eight and nine (the snakeskin venoms). Maybe... I have a bit more talent for the airbrush than for the regular kind. Maybe it's just not as difficult as I expected. At least I learn faster than I thought I would. Also, I think my choice of colors have worked really well together.

Please stay tuned, I hope to have the new venoms finished in a few days. It's just a shame that I need meatbags to fill them with. Otherwise I'd have an all vehicle, all airbrush Dark Eldar army. :)

TheBearminator
22-10-2013, 11:49
An idea that has been growing in my head is to do space marines using the same technique, but perhaps using an even finer net for a more subtle effect. This could create an impression of a futuristic carbon fibre-ish material. I think it could look pretty unique. :) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/22/hahe3adu.jpg
Think of it as the nano suits in the Crysis games. They're covered in a hexagonal "graphite pattern". Though, that particular pattern would require some other kind of mask/stencil. If you have any good suggestions, please let me hear it! :)

TheBearminator
22-10-2013, 17:32
Eureka! :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/2ymyjyry.jpg

TheBearminator
01-11-2013, 16:50
Airbrush progress! Two new Venoms completed. I experimented with a mesh pattern this time and was very pleased with the result, even though it wasnt easy to work with (looking forward to the release of the Anarchy online adhesive stencils). But this way I can claim the credit for myself when it turns out well. ;) As this whole army is going to be a big creative experiment, I also changed the color on the shooters to really make the models pop. Since my first try with the mesh two weeks ago, I've redone the pattern almost completely, as I thought they needed a more dynamic look and a more striking highlight. Compared to the first two Venoms I did, these definitely have more depth in terms of shades and highlight. Please tell me what you think. :) 180840180841180842180843180844

SDKFZ
02-11-2013, 16:39
Looking very good :)
Like the look of your dark eldars, good work !

TheBearminator
02-11-2013, 21:29
Looking very good :)
Like the look of your dark eldars, good work !

Thank you! They're pretty nice models for all my crazy airbrush ideas. The vehicles at least. ;) And even though the scheme is neither coherent nor unique, it's pretty far from standard Dark Eldar and I like how the colors match. :)

SDKFZ
03-11-2013, 08:03
Yepp, i get what your thinking. Cant remember seeing any other DE looking like yours. Thumbs up from me, Mate :)

TheBearminator
18-02-2014, 18:01
Hurray! Today my HD Stencils arrived! I'm tied up with IG vehicles right now, but as soon as I'm done with them there will be a bunch of new venoms and Razorwings with all kinds of different wacky patterns! :)

Asdrubael108
18-02-2014, 18:19
Looking totaly great!

TheBearminator
19-02-2014, 05:04
Looking totaly great!

Thanks mate! Not much progress for a while but I'm really happy with how these Venoms came out. :)

TheBearminator
09-03-2014, 19:25
Preparations for tomorrow's painting session. :) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/10/sejydajy.jpg

TheBearminator
17-03-2014, 10:27
My Razorwing project has taken an unexpected turn. My intention was to cover the black flyer in ref, orange and yellow flames. But because of the difficulties I had applying the stencils, my white paint acting up and the candy paints not really doing what I expected, out came something else. I was pretty disappointed and thought I might as well start over with a new black undercoat, but my pal and a few guys at the forum liked the "rippling water" effect and encouraged me to take the paint job in a new direction. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/17/ybeve3a4.jpg

So yesterday I applied a thin coat of hawk turquoise, and I must say I find the result pretty nice. Tell me what you think. Always open to suggestions and critique.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/17/he8ahe5y.jpg

Evilgnome
17-03-2014, 12:19
I think it's bloody great! Feels alien!

TheBearminator
17-03-2014, 13:48
I think it's bloody great! Feels alien!

Thanks! :) Gonna add some hazard striping, as can be seen on my Venoms. That could also perhaps accentuate the (Ridley Scott) Alien feeling even more.

SDKFZ
17-03-2014, 17:27
Thats not bad at all, Mate :) Looks like some sort of light effect camouflage (almost electric).
Or maybe some sort of stealth coat.

TheBearminator
17-03-2014, 19:10
Thanks mate! As I've said, this army won't be one theme but rather a series of creative experiments. :)

DarkMark
17-03-2014, 19:21
Love the accident and its cool effect. However, I imagine DE to be about the last race in the galaxy to be fussed with hazards stripes. For me, at least, the stripes are just too humanoid.

TheBearminator
17-03-2014, 19:51
Love the accident and its cool effect. However, I imagine DE to be about the last race in the galaxy to be fussed with hazards stripes. For me, at least, the stripes are just too humanoid.

Cheers mate! I fully understand some people may have a problem with the mix. I think it worked well with the turquoise venoms. Not really sure that it'll fit when I try different colours though. I have some plans for some pink or brass colored vehicles.

Beppo1234
19-03-2014, 13:37
So yesterday I applied a thin coat of hawk turquoise, and I must say I find the result pretty nice. Tell me what you think. Always open to suggestions and critique.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/17/he8ahe5y.jpg

see that did it! the yellow and white with a little blue/green on top of it looks amazing! Nice how the yellow bits turned out a little bit bright green, will the white, a little more blue. Looks fantastic. You could do a whole army like that.

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 15:28
see that did it! the yellow and white with a little blue/green on top of it looks amazing! Nice how the yellow bits turned out a little bit bright green, will the white, a little more blue. Looks fantastic. You could do a whole army like that.

Thanks mate! Glad you convinced me to go through with it. I also think it could be enhanced even further with more intense effects. Like the blue "cloud" over the nose.

What do you suggest I do with the wing flaps? Until now I've done them hazard striped, like this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/6ygaburu.jpgNot sure if it fits this craft. What do you say?

Beppo1234
19-03-2014, 15:34
hazard stripes strike me as being very un-eldar, IMO

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 16:15
hazard stripes strike me as being very un-eldar, IMO

You're not the first to say that. :) however, I like how the colors complement the bright turquoise, and everything about this army is very experimental. So what do you suggest instead of the stripes. :)

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 22:09
Hex grid? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/ezejatug.jpg

TheBearminator
21-03-2014, 00:33
Tomorrow the experiment continues. :)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/21/9ytyzyme.jpg

Beppo1234
21-03-2014, 16:29
nice, your colour choices are really coming out nicely in application.

TheBearminator
22-03-2014, 23:46
nice, your colour choices are really coming out nicely in application.

Thanks Beppo! :)

Gah! Home improvements took all my time and energy today too. As if it wasn't enough with kids and pets. Better luck tomorrow I hope. :( Looking forward to my little stencil experiment.

TheBearminator
24-03-2014, 00:08
Here's the outcome of tonights creative experiment! I had a blast with my new HD stencils. Not everybody was convinced by my hazard striped wing flaps. How about these?
189889 189890

nedsta
24-03-2014, 00:51
Bravo sir Bravo.

TheBearminator
24-03-2014, 10:38
Thanks mate! Probably not really your style, or type of vehicle, but I thought the effect was pretty cool. I remember having VHS tapes when I grew up that came in boxes with the same kind of late 80's futuristic design. :)

Beppo1234
24-03-2014, 14:37
awesome work... I dunno about the mixing of patterns though (everything was nice and organic, until this, I feel like the sharp corners don't mesh with the eldar style), but it looks pretty cool none the less. I had a healthy conversation about his last time I was at the suit store... the guy there was really knowledgeable about colours and patterns, or more so that there were simple rules to how many colours and how many patterns and what types could be mixed in a suit (it applies to the mini world as the rule of 3 colours is in strong effect, especially in 40k). I couldn't tell you what he told me now. But the conversation was relevant in my mind. Might be worth a quick QandA next time I pass by there.

TheBearminator
24-03-2014, 16:21
Thanks for thoughtful critique/feedback Beppo. If you meet that tailor again I'd be thrilled to hear what he had to say. :) The most common criticisms I get for my models in general is that I don't have the courage to add contrasting colors. This time it was quite a clash, maybe not the colors but the different patterns.

Beppo1234
24-03-2014, 16:35
I think it think case you nailed the colours, especially for a fix to a previous mis-step... which are often harder to solve than starting over.

ThatAmigo
24-03-2014, 18:50
WOW!
Fantastic use of aerograph!! Its a truly amazing way of giving an extra touch on thoose vehicles

TheBearminator
24-03-2014, 19:37
WOW!
Fantastic use of aerograph!! Its a truly amazing way of giving an extra touch on thoose vehicles

Thanks Amigo! Comments like that are what keep me going. :)

puckus10
28-03-2014, 13:52
Hey these are great! Very different from the average deldar but executed in a great way :D

Serpent
29-03-2014, 07:07
The solution to the hazard stripe problem was genious. Of all the 40K armies, only Orks seem less inclined to use hazard markings on their vehicles. (Is it because both races find it hilarious when someone is the victim of an "accident", perhaps..?)

TheBearminator
29-03-2014, 12:36
Hey these are great! Very different from the average deldar but executed in a great way :D

Thanks mate! I paint death korps and tanks when I wanna fly low. My DE is supposed to be a never ending series of creative experiments. It won't be coherent but hopefully a lot cool looking individual models and units. :)

The solution to the hazard stripe problem was genious. Of all the 40K armies, only Orks seem less inclined to use hazard markings on their vehicles. (Is it because both races find it hilarious when someone is the victim of an "accident", perhaps..?)

So I take it you like the hex grid better? :)

SDKFZ
30-03-2014, 11:13
Yupp, that look ace, Mate ! Love the change of the hazardstripes to these hexstripes instead. Great work, mate :)

TheBearminator
17-04-2014, 00:18
Yupp, that look ace, Mate ! Love the change of the hazardstripes to these hexstripes instead. Great work, mate :)

Cheers mate! Sorry for the late reply. Stay tuned, finished model to be added really soon. :)

TheBearminator
17-04-2014, 00:34
Ok! Now I'd love to see some help. Here's the base. 191626 The statue's head will be placed in the water to the right, just at the edge of the base.

As you can see there's no rim on the base to hold the water effect inside. My plan was to use low-tac tape to create a barrier that can be removed when the resin has dried. Would that work? I just did a small 1" test base. The problem I encountered that I hadn't forseen is that the angled edge makes it hopeless to create a nice, even rim, as the tape will wrinkle. :(

Another idea was to use gloss varnish instead, like forgeworld did in a death korps diorama in volume I of Model Masterclass. They don't tell how they applied it though. My water has already been airbrushed with Klear, but it doesn't look like water at all, even though I was quite generous with the stuff.

Please help!

TheBearminator
17-05-2014, 22:24
It's been eight weeks since my last confession. But 'ere we go! :)

First of all, I have a new idea on how to speed up the painting process. I'll try to paint my next five kabalites while theyr'e attached to a stick. The idea is, when I look at all the models simultaniously from the same angle , I should be able to see all the details that'll be painted in the same colors, which model requires more highlight and so on. If I can spare one hour per unit its totally worth it. We'll see.

TheBearminator
17-05-2014, 22:32
Then, with a great deal of help from my girlfriend, I've finally completed the last two scourges. It was a tough call, but in the end I decided to give them splinter cannons. So now in 7th they can sit happily on objectives and fire 21 poison shots a turn untill they're blown to pieces. I dont think this unit will ever grow beyond five (if they aren't given a serious buff in the next codex). I love the models, and I love the bases I found for them. But I've had difficulties finding any use for them, and well, they aren't vehicles. ;)

TheBearminator
17-05-2014, 23:11
And then of course I've finished my first three reavers, after ten months. They've given me angry glances every time I open my hobby cabinet.
I must say the highlight on the jetbikes themselves are among my best work with a regular paint brush. I think I'm finally getting it. :)
193466 193467 193468 193469

Comments, hints and questions always warmly appreciated!

SDKFZ
18-05-2014, 13:43
Those jetbikes(and riders) look ace, Mate :) Youve earned the right to be proud of yourself :D

TheBearminator
18-05-2014, 15:29
Thanks mate! Long time no see. :)

SDKFZ
18-05-2014, 16:22
Yhea, sorry :( Works killing me...........no time left for my poor plastic and resin.
Great to see youre still painting these guys :)

TheBearminator
18-05-2014, 17:26
Ah. Too bad. I'll be working full time again from 1st of June. Not really looking forward to it, but you can't be on parental leave forever. Not even in Sweden. ;)

Serpent
25-05-2014, 14:37
Candy-style Reavers! Awesome!

TheBearminator
25-05-2014, 18:40
Candy-style Reavers! Awesome!

Thanks! My first intention was to focus more on stencils and masking job (the black lines), but it turned out ok anyway. :)

Indreth
26-05-2014, 21:31
Absolutely cool jetbikes! I really like your painting style. How long does it it take you to paint one of those jetbikes?

TheBearminator
27-05-2014, 22:15
Absolutely cool jetbikes! I really like your painting style. How long does it it take you to paint one of those jetbikes?

Thanks Indreth! I try to make something different. Currently though I'm actually trying a more conventional scheme on my incubi (black with purple edge highlight). It would kill me in the long run. It's boring, I have to correct mistakes all the time and it looks to much like gw box art.

Oh. I have no idea how much time I spent on them. I'm a slow painter. A wild guess would be around ten hours for jetbike + driver. Would've been more without my airbrush.

TheBearminator
15-06-2014, 21:33
Latest report from the mancave (hm, that could be the name of my next painting log ;)). Two new venoms in the making. Black for incubis (pictures coming) and orange for trueborn. Questions and comment's appreciated, as always.
Edit: New pictures by my awesome photographer. Please note the hex grid stencil.
194930 194931

Hendarion
16-06-2014, 08:56
What mask did you use for the hexagon pattern? I always keep wondering that about the oh-so-modern Wraithknight-heads which use the pattern. I never found a mask being that tiny.

TheBearminator
16-06-2014, 09:37
It's Anarchy model's HD stencils. It's a self adhesive film. The one I used for these is called hexgrid mini. :)

TheBearminator
16-06-2014, 10:14
It's Anarchy model's HD stencils. It's a self adhesive film. The one I used for these is called hexgrid mini. :)

I had been looking for stencils like this for a while when I found them. For two of my turquoise venoms I used the kind of plastic net that you can buy garlic in (in Sweden at least). That was really messy and time consuming. The HD stencils are a dream in comparison. I'm just a bit surprised to see other painters use them on eldar.

Hendarion
16-06-2014, 10:50
Well, if things go well, I can laser-cut my own stencils at work soon. Wohoo. :D Because even the "tiny hex" from them is still 3mm for one hexagon. That sounds still pretty large to me and when I check pictures of Wraithknights, they must be using something else:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/351340
http://www.coolminiornot.com/334137

TheBearminator
16-06-2014, 15:32
You know what. That looks exactly like the mosquito net I have laying around. I have this idea to paint up a space marine with it (black undercoat, boltgun hexagons), to get that nano suit look from the Crysis games. Or just for a more subtle effect on a larger model. :)

But I really envy you for that stencil cutter. There are so many things I wanna do, like brand names and commercial signs on my terrain. I'd love to have my own Orka Cola factory for example. So tell me if you get your hands on a machine. ;)

TheBearminator
16-06-2014, 18:57
Incubi! One of my favourite units in the game. Can't say I enjoyed painting them very much though. As I decided to go with a more traditional Dark eldar look. Purple edge highligt over black undercoat. Not really my kind of painting, but I think these models look their best in dark armour and white helmets. I really hope we'll see these guys in plastic soon.

TheBearminator
29-06-2014, 09:11
Done! Venoms nr. 5 and 6. Awesome pictures by my photographer. :)
195897 195895 195894 195896 195898 195901

TheBearminator
29-06-2014, 09:18
My first Dark Eldar HQ. For a long time I didn't bother painting him, but now I'm happy that I did. :)
195899 195900

SDKFZ
02-07-2014, 16:06
Ohhh, those are some nice minis, Mate :) Like the dark venom.

TheBearminator
02-07-2014, 16:44
Ohhh, those are some nice minis, Mate :) Like the dark venom.

I bet you'd have liked it better in desert camo. ;)

Hendarion
02-07-2014, 20:06
Naa, I also prefer the black one. The beige stripe gives it such a great contrast.

SDKFZ
03-07-2014, 17:51
.....do not think Dark Eldar use desert camo :p :D

TheBearminator
23-06-2015, 16:40
My two year old is showing some serious progress. Not only has she had her first cup of coffee (two drops in warm milk but kept yelling for 'More cappuccino!'), but she's also painted her very first miniature! I'm so proud that I'll forgive her for taking that dump in the backseat today. ;) And I do like her color preferences, purple, pink and yellow, the same colors I'm currently using for my Orks. I might build her a succubus to paint. I'm missing one in my army. And I think that three colors is all a model needs to count as painted in tournaments. :) http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/23/a6fa8709982a961da96d86829d0e1866.jpg

Demonrich
23-06-2015, 17:23
Beautiful airbrush work; I really like the colours you have used as well. It was very brave to go with pink riders, but you made it work. I was thinking maybe you had started to rely too much on stencils and neglected the brush work, but your latest updates show that isn't the case. Nice work!

TheBearminator
23-06-2015, 18:50
Haha! Thank you Demonic. For a while I was just amazed by what could be achieved using stencils. But it can definitely get too much. Damn I hate those riders. Hate painting them (don't like mixing airbrush work with brush painting cause the techniques give so different results). And most of all cause they just fall off all the time.

H3L!X
25-06-2015, 07:03
My two year old is showing some serious progress. Not only has she had her first cup of coffee (two drops in warm milk but kept yelling for 'More cappuccino!')

I had my first coffee with two years too :D Half milk half coffee anf i still live ;) so if she wants more she should have it as a payment for her commisson painting :D

TheBearminator
25-06-2015, 22:17
I had my first coffee with two years too :D Half milk half coffee anf i still live ;) so if she wants more she should have it as a payment for her commisson painting :D
Haha! It's an evil plan, but great plans tend to be evil. And I wouldn't wanna be the only coffeeholic in the house. ;)

Armholeeio
26-06-2015, 15:21
not rain on your beautiful moment as father and child but tea and coffee is bad for kids under the age of 7 it can effect the development of bones, go caffeine free if you do have to give her any. nice painting on the models anyway

TheBearminator
26-06-2015, 15:54
not rain on your beautiful moment as father and child but tea and coffee is bad for kids under the age of 7 it can effect the development of bones, go caffeine free if you do have to give her any. nice painting on the models anyway
Don't worry. :) She won't get any more. Though we often have "coffee" together (she gets an espresso cup of pure milk or water).

SDKFZ
26-06-2015, 16:57
We Swedes need our coffee :D Thumbs up from me ! Now teach her to do the highlights ;)