PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs vs Vampire Counts (2996 Points)

Malorian
25-06-2013, 14:23
Last time we played I messed up my list and had a free anvil (that misfired 3 times) and his vampire lord exploded early in the game.

Now we have jumped up to 2996 points to practice for the Warhammer'd tournament, and it was a bloody one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLty2iEpjiQ

Djekar
25-06-2013, 16:23
That was a really enjoyable game - I always feel bad when magic dependant armies try to get anything done versus Dwarves though.

I can't beat Dwarfs with my Vampires, they're just too damn sneaky. I agree that the Anvil makes them truly awesome, especially the ability to make units charge. It's really hard to outflank them when they just reform and charge you. Or even worse, do that trick with the ambushing Miners!

Malorian
25-06-2013, 17:19
Best tool VC has against dwarfs is ethereal and killy characters. Send the ethereal units up to take out warmachines or tie down units, and then a blender lord in ghouls or grace guard can clean up.

To counter the miners simply stick to the middle of the board.

Thanks for the tips, Malorian!

However, Dwarfs have counters to both ethereal troops and my killy Lords. They can dish out a lot of magical attacks, from runic war machines, that zap attack from Anvil and whatnot, and take care of my flanking ethereals pretty easily. They can also build unkillable tank characters that my Vamps can't scratch. But yeah, I should be able to deal with those with better strategy.

It's just that those damned stunties always seem to be able to pull out some dirty trick that forces me to grasp defeat from jaws of victory, like the banner that reduces charge distance. It gets me every time.

Malorian
26-06-2013, 14:38
Their warmachines can be magical, but a cannon shooting at a unit of wraiths is a bit of a waste, and even wrath and ruin will only do 2.3 wounds on average. I wouldn't worry about it.

And if they are running an anvil then they won't have a dwarf lord, but even if they do I wouldn't assume they will go the tank method, and then even if they do the ball is in your court as the attacker. Just make sure your lords aren't matched up and when he challenges take it with the unit champ or some other character, then blender the unit. Some times the best way to kill a dwarf lord is to run him down ;)

Soundwave
26-06-2013, 15:04
Thanks Malorian,that was quite entertaining!I play V.C and absorbed a heap watching this!Like Ville i struggle against Dwarfs and am yet to beat them! What would you recommend against Dwarfs if you where to play V.C?
Ah yep two posts behind silly me!

Their warmachines can be magical, but a cannon shooting at a unit of wraiths is a bit of a waste, and even wrath and ruin will only do 2.3 wounds on average. I wouldn't worry about it.

And if they are running an anvil then they won't have a dwarf lord, but even if they do I wouldn't assume they will go the tank method, and then even if they do the ball is in your court as the attacker. Just make sure your lords aren't matched up and when he challenges take it with the unit champ or some other character, then blender the unit. Some times the best way to kill a dwarf lord is to run him down ;)

Very good tips there! I guess I should invest in some Hexwraiths, then. I usually take very little ethereal troops, as I think they are somewhat gimmicky.

By the way, it would be awesome seeing you play VC and kick some stuntie behind in a battle report.;)

Malorian
26-06-2013, 20:10
I own vampire counts and I'm due to use them again, but there are very few dwarf players in the area.

Mullitron
29-06-2013, 09:09
Nice report, As always your videos are a pleasure to watch.

I agree that the anvil is good fun and very strong, there were a few examples in that game alone; if the black knights weren't slowed down early on the game could of gone quite differently.

I do like the vc\dwarf Match up, the vc player doesn't have a very reliable magic phase but there's still the threat of a spell or two that can change the game. Instead the vc player fights tooth and nail with the dwarf player using its rare\ethereal\character units to turn the fights in their favour. Whilst the dwarf units may not be running away soon they have few options to chew through large units of zombie's\skeletons quickly, they need to make sure they neutralise the correct threats and not get held up in prolonged fights with the wrong units.

m1acca1551
29-06-2013, 11:01
Very good tips there! I guess I should invest in some Hexwraiths, then. I usually take very little ethereal troops, as I think they are somewhat gimmicky.

By the way, it would be awesome seeing you play VC and kick some stuntie behind in a battle report.;)

Hexwraiths can seriously make a massive dent into dwarf lines, if the player is not used too facing them most people tend to overreact, hexwraiths are able to turn a flank and tie up magical cannon, and a y offensive magic on the field.

If they fail to remove the unit, it's incredibly easy to draw a few dispel dice out of the dwarf pool to shut down any attempt to raise the numbers back up. No dwarf player can afford to have hexwraiths running through there back lines.

Askari
29-06-2013, 11:29
This is why I'm not such a fan of the Knight-bus - having 750+ pts of your army doing nothing on a flank and in addition slowing down your mainline due to the General's absence, especially against an opponent like Dwarfs that have no need to move and are excellent at refusing a flank as you showed, doesn't strike me as a great strategy.

Well played as the Dwarfs though!