PDA

View Full Version : What's in a channel?

Kung Fu Hamster
27-06-2013, 05:03
I've recently decided to start a YouTube channel for my plasticrack addiction, mostly as an easier and better way to share my love of 40K and Fantasy (but mostly 40K), and since it's still in its infancy, I decided to ask around and see what people like seeing most in 40K channels. Painting tutorials/walkthroughs? Tactica discussions? Battle reports? What gets you interested in someone's work and keeps you from clicking on yet another video of someone doing something stupid and potentially painful?

If possible, I'd like some examples of particular video formats as well. For example, I'm thinking about doing some battle reports. Should I emulate MiniWarGaming's typical style of narration over the events, or MWG Dave's Banter Batreps with the joking and running commentary, or something closer to SkaredCast's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTxeYYH5So8) batreps, focusing on end of turn summaries?

Any additional advice or commentary would be most helpful. Please keep in mind the channel is still very new, and additional content will be uploaded as quickly as I can churn it out. The link to my channel is currently in my sig.

P.S. The video quality will be improving drastically in a short time when I can replace the SD card for my camcorder and can stop using my iPhone for recording.

Gossipmeng
27-06-2013, 16:15
Well it would be great if your channel was able to provide us with everything: tactica, paintings, batreps, whatever.

However, if it is only you adding content then I would advise you to focus on maybe 1 or 2 types of video. Its no use to any of us if you release 1 paint, 1 batrep, and 1 tactica video per month. Your channel will need to be supported weekly or semi-weekly at the least to be somewhat popular/worthwhile.

Far too often you stumble upon a youtube video and check out the channel - only to find that it has been abandoned with no updates in months. It is easy to get discouraged when you end up with under 50 subscribers and 300 views per video, but then again you will be competing against things like miniwargaming who do it for a living.

IcedCrow
27-06-2013, 16:33
You do it for the love of doing it, not for trying to be the next internet celebrity. That's why you see a slew of abandoned youtube channels and sites. People were trying to become the next warhammer celebrity and if that's your ultimate goal, you'll get discouraged quickly.

Do it for the love of doing it and things like that will build over time.

Spider-pope
27-06-2013, 17:48
Personally i love seeing peoples armies and how they went about converting/painting them. So stick stuff like that on and i'd watch. But aside from that listen to IcedCrow for he is wise.

rapterz
28-06-2013, 07:14
If you make batreps, please get as many pictures as you can, and unless you can get a good rigging avoid video batreps, as it'll be really hard to tell whats happening. Road to "____" type series really help to invest viewers into your channel, as they'll be watching you grow to understand an army.

Kung Fu Hamster
30-06-2013, 03:59
You do it for the love of doing it, not for trying to be the next internet celebrity. That's why you see a slew of abandoned youtube channels and sites. People were trying to become the next warhammer celebrity and if that's your ultimate goal, you'll get discouraged quickly.

Do it for the love of doing it and things like that will build over time.

I'm not trying to become the next MiniWarGaming by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don't want to use that as an excuse for poor content and execution quality.