PDA

View Full Version : Chariots and the missed opportunity of open topped transports.

dooms33ker
27-06-2013, 06:36
Wouldn't it have been awesome if open topped transports had gotten rules similar to chariots that allowed them to charge into combat and their passengers being able to attack as well? If passengers get to shoot out of an open topped vehicle, why not attack in close combat as well? Open topped transports are chariots of a sort, aren't they, so why not treat them that way?

solkan
27-06-2013, 06:44
Put a dozen Ork Boyz in the back of a trukk, ram the trukk into something, and ask the Boyz to make melee attacks across the front of the Trukk.

That's why not.

dooms33ker
27-06-2013, 06:54
Put a dozen Ork Boyz in the back of a trukk, ram the trukk into something, and ask the Boyz to make melee attacks across the front of the Trukk.

That's why not.

That's why they have boarding planks and whatnot. What's to stop the boyz from jumping on the hood of the truck to krump some heads from an elevated position?

Also, if making that kind of logic, how can the boyz shoot from the front tip of the trukk bumper? The rules allow it even though it is in no way realistic. The point I'm making is that the rule abstraction for close combat wouldn't be all that different from shooting, and would make for some nice combats.

I did fail to mention that any unit attacking an open topped transport in close combat will be able to choose to hit either the passengers or the vehicle.

Belly
27-06-2013, 08:42
I can imagine DE venoms doing this. It would need to be limited however, that only certain open-topped vehicles would allow it, and only certain infantry models can take advantage.

Say allowing each Wych embarked on a venom to make a single CC attack against a unit, should the venom make a tankshock like move. (as a venom cannot tank shock, I don't think they're tanks, are they?)

MyNameDidntFit
27-06-2013, 08:42
Because they were designed to transport people, not have people leaning over the edge hitting stuff. Charioteers are on specifically designed platforms and generally using weapons specifically chosen with that use in mind.

Menthak
27-06-2013, 12:47
Also, if making that kind of logic, how can the boyz shoot from the front tip of the trukk bumper? The rules allow it even though it is in no way realistic..

One word: Orks.

I reckon you're correct, that there is more potential in chariots, but it would take quite a bit of fiddling to get it to work.

Charistoph
27-06-2013, 21:32
Because they were designed to transport people, not have people leaning over the edge hitting stuff. Charioteers are on specifically designed platforms and generally using weapons specifically chosen with that use in mind.

I thought that's what Dark Eldar and Ork transports WERE designed for.

Maybe not Kabalites, but Wyches definitely, Incubi would be a maybe.

gwarsh41
28-06-2013, 20:38
That's why they have boarding planks and whatnot. What's to stop the boyz from jumping on the hood of the truck to krump some heads from an elevated position?

Also, if making that kind of logic, how can the boyz shoot from the front tip of the trukk bumper? The rules allow it even though it is in no way realistic. The point I'm making is that the rule abstraction for close combat wouldn't be all that different from shooting, and would make for some nice combats.

I did fail to mention that any unit attacking an open topped transport in close combat will be able to choose to hit either the passengers or the vehicle.

You are missing the Ork Logik. There is no engine, just an ork with 20 or so shootas hiding where the engine used to be. He is in a hamster wheel that powers the trukk,

Ruination Drinker
29-06-2013, 01:38
Models inside open topped transport vehicles should be able to challenge a guy who opts for Death of Glory before he gets his swing at the car. Now there's a can of worms no one has opened yet!