PDA

View Full Version : Would fight ______ Because.

Menthak
27-06-2013, 12:53
I'm sure some of you lucky people on Warseer would have had the chance to read Codex: Daemon/Witch hunters in the past. And in the back of those was a section devoted to stating why Daemon/Witch Hunters would fight various factions. I was curious, did any other codex besides these have these little tidbits?

Horus Lupercal
27-06-2013, 13:15
Nope. Just them in that edition.

Menthak
27-06-2013, 13:36
:shifty: Why does everything good have to be cut short.

Thanks Lupercal

Marshal
27-06-2013, 14:56
Because, the witch hunters needed justification for fighting certain races such as the Tau, or Dark Eldar, which contain no psykers or "witches", so they included stuff like that. I think the Daemonhunters had the same thing back then but would have to go through my old codecies to find out for sure, listing things like fighting Eldar because "The avatar is practically a daemon", or Dark Eldar with warp beasts.

Dryaktylus
27-06-2013, 15:02
We're not in the Would fight - Because-Edition anymore but in the Would ally with - Because-Edition now.:p

A.T.
27-06-2013, 15:07
Because, the witch hunters needed justification for fighting certain races such as the Tau, or Dark Eldar, which contain no psykers or "witches", so they included stuff like that.I don't recall ever seeing it used, but the witch hunters codex did include an option for any opponent to upgrade one HQ to a psyker (with a random power from the WH book) for no cost.

The DH had something similar but you had to pay 100pts so it was nearly useless for pickup games.

Menthak
27-06-2013, 15:24
We're not in the Would fight - Because-Edition anymore but in the Would ally with - Because-Edition now.:p

:shifty: Thrice Damned 6th.

I don't recall ever seeing it used, but the witch hunters codex did include an option for any opponent to upgrade one HQ to a psyker (with a random power from the WH book) for no cost.

The DH had something similar but you had to pay 100pts so it was nearly useless for pickup games.

The Witch Hunters one still costed as I recall.

Gossipmeng
27-06-2013, 16:01
I remember that section in the codex.... it was a nice bit of information, but with a little imagination you can come up with your own reasons.

A.T.
27-06-2013, 16:04
The Witch Hunters one still costed as I recall.The 'psychic apocalypse' upgrade was free and available to anyone except psykers and necron units.
Had the potentially devastating puppet dance power which would cause a squad (but not ICs) to fight amongst themselves.

There were additional units that could be purchased as part of a pre-arranged game though, rogue psykers, mutants, traitors, and false cardinals - all added to another army as allies.

Menthak
27-06-2013, 16:48
The 'psychic apocalypse' upgrade was free and available to anyone except psykers and necron units.
Had the potentially devastating puppet dance power which would cause a squad (but not ICs) to fight amongst themselves.

There were additional units that could be purchased as part of a pre-arranged game though, rogue psykers, mutants, traitors, and false cardinals - all added to another army as allies.

Looking through he Codex, you're correct.

I remember that section in the codex.... it was a nice bit of information, but with a little imagination you can come up with your own reasons.

Oh I can, it's just fun to read.

Angry SisterOfBattle Nerd
27-06-2013, 17:58
No. Actually we're not in the Would ally with - Because-Edition but in the Would ally with - Just figure out yourself why if you can, we dare you-Edition.

MasterDecoy
28-06-2013, 01:16
in my last game, I had my tyranids fighting my friends chaos (with deamon allys) and the mission was the relic.

come turn 3 when my gaunts picked up the relic, my opponent stopped and asked me what relic would tyranids be fighting over thats the chaos marines would also want, 2 seconds worth of thought later and I explained:

"This is a first wave specimen of a lictor in a stasis tube that if captured by the enemy will allow them to engineer a virus to enslave the hive flleet, and because the hive mind isnt stupid, it knows it must be recovered and/or destroyed, however doing so will require some time that will be decided at the games end whether we where successful or not"

Chem-Dog
28-06-2013, 01:22
Grey Knights would fight Adeptus Sororitas because EXTRA PURITY.

Iron Hands would fight Ultramarines because Spiritual Liege.

:shifty:

Menthak
28-06-2013, 01:32

Iron Hands would fight Ultramarines because Spiritual Liege.

:shifty:

Sorry Chem-dog, I don't get the second part. When have the Iron Hands fought the Ultramarines?

28-06-2013, 02:27
Instead of fighting, they could just wait a bit, Sisters get a little bit EXTRA PURITY out of their bodies every once in a while :D.

lordreaven448
28-06-2013, 04:51
I've always wondered why Daemons (No CSM involved) would fight Tau. Khorne is rather obvious in that answear.

Chem-Dog
28-06-2013, 10:58
Never, that bit is scratched out because no Marine would dare harm the Paragons of Astartes Virtue. :shifty:

(I picked IH's out of a hat, could just as easily read any other loyalist chapter.)

Azulthar
28-06-2013, 11:23
You non-Ultramarine players are such a bitter bunch. The troll in me wants to start collecting some blue Space Marines now :p

Menthak
28-06-2013, 11:39
You non-Ultramarine players are such a bitter bunch. The troll in me wants to start collecting some blue Space Marines now :p

It's hard not to be bitter when it's said time and time again that 'The best of them are; THE ULTRAMARINES' but then in store, most children collect poorly painted Ultramarines, and because they don't learn the rules, have no chance of winning. I just think it's a cruel cruel joke.

If you really want to troll people, have Ultramarines allied with Grey Knights, if your opponent asks why, say you love the new fluff and state that these two armies are the best in the 40k universe. Model Heavy bolters as Multilazers. And claim that every time a Terminator passes an Armour/Invul save, it's because they've back-flipped over the danger.

28-06-2013, 11:50
I'm so bitter against any other army in the settings that you can basically start collecting any army you want !
But special bonus point for anything with marines in it.
:D

Litcheur
28-06-2013, 18:48
Even bitter against squats ? :p

29-06-2013, 01:41
Nope. Also Dark Eldars are mostly ok ;). Mostly.

AdmiralDick
29-06-2013, 19:51
No. Actually we're not in the Would ally with - Because-Edition but in the Would ally with - Just figure out yourself why if you can, we dare you-Edition.

i'm not sure that's true. 40k comes with an entirely prescriptive 'allies matrix' which completely hampers imagination and becomes a psychological crutch for many players. conversely the allies system in Warhammer allows literally anyone to ally with anyone, with greater or lesser penalties or benefits, which allows a lot more scope for players to either come up with a good back story or simply to have fun and mess around. so they could have made the system so that it encouraged creativity, but they actively choose not to.

(on an tangential note, the inclusion of a similar allies matrix in Apocalypse completely undid a lot of the hard work put into giving players free scope to choose anything to go into their force. as expressed by such posts as 'what if i don't collect Khorne?')