PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf armies

Lord Greyskull
30-06-2013, 20:43
The armies I'm talking about are huge armies owned by an employee of GW. From time to time they display them in White Dwarf. And your led to believe that they have been collecting a certain warhammer fantasy or 40k army for years. But amazingly the army only contains models that are currently in production. An example of this is the Warriors of Chaos army in the current issue of White Dwarf. Am I supposed to believe that really is their army collection that took years to amass or is it really something painted to display in hopes of selling figures?

Scammel
30-06-2013, 21:06
In the most recent battle report there's a unit of Chaos Bikers on Fantasy cavalry bases - go figure. It may also be the case that the staff indeed have a single 'army' for a particular race, but they actually own several incarnations of that same army from over the years, with the same characters etc.

Lorcryst
30-06-2013, 22:17
I'll have to check some release dates, but in that particular Warriors of Chaos army, most of the models are already quite old ...

The Mutalith Vortex, Throgg, Forsaken and the Dragon Ogres are "new-ish", but the Warriors themselves, the Beastmen, Skullcrushers, River Trolls at the back, the Giants, etc, are not new.

His BSB is the "old" Archaon on Foot from GamesDay 2004 converted with a big banner ...

One thing is certain tough : his definition of "budget" is not the same as most people that don't work for GW ... there's five boxes worth of Chaos Knight just for the lances for one of his Warrior unit ... 33 of Storm of Magic scenery for a Tzeentch Sorcerer on a very big disk (looks cool, indeed, but :wtf:)

Scammel
30-06-2013, 22:37
€33 of Storm of Magic scenery for a Tzeentch Sorcerer on a very big disk (looks cool, indeed, but )

And then you realise it's hardly much more than the actual disc model. :p

Lorcryst
30-06-2013, 22:45
Heh, yeah, there is that :D

Still, I think guys working at GW HQ have access to loads of bitz, or are paid in miniatures ... no other way to explain ranks upon ranks of Warriors with Chaos Knigths lances :p

That Sorcerer is made from a Balewind Vortex, a Chaos Warrior body, a shield from the Knigths sprue, a right arm from the horribly expensive FineCast Chosen and the head from the plastic Sorcerer Lord ... just buying the parts from eBay bitz stores would reach around €50 (had nothing better to do, cannot manage to sleep tonight, so I searched :shifty:).

Danny76
30-06-2013, 23:55
Isn't the army the one with all the converted flagellants heads in there and stuff?
GW stock army sets never have that sort of stuff, I also seem to remember it having a very personalised looking colour scheme. Didn't it have all the blue to tie the army together too?

Lorcryst
01-07-2013, 09:36
Isn't the army the one with all the converted flagellants heads in there and stuff?
GW stock army sets never have that sort of stuff, I also seem to remember it having a very personalised looking colour scheme. Didn't it have all the blue to tie the army together too?

Yup, that's the one, only non-blue unit are the Khorne Forsaken, that he admits having "just finished".

Evil Hypnotist
01-07-2013, 11:49
While I agree with the point of the thread, I will point out there is probably a surplus of Knight lances from WoC players because ensorcelled weapons are a much better option in the current and previous books. I have 10 spare myself and can probably get another 10-20 from my gaming group. Actually, they do look really good on warriors... :P

zoggin-eck
02-07-2013, 03:09
While I can understand the point of this thread, I don't think it's quite true at all.

For every army that just so happens to have multiples of whatever large monster/unit came out that month, you get one like the recent Beastmen army that had a converted/scratch built Jabberslyth and Cygor etc.

The most believable "I've been playing/adding to this army for years" armies they've show were Rick Priestley's Orc and Goblin army (with lots of different "eras" of models and basing styles) and Jervis Johnson's "Grey Marines" (use as multiple Chapters). Both of which I loved :)

GrandmasterWang
02-07-2013, 04:02
Most of the White dwarf armies seem pretty legit. I remember a recent empire one that had spearmen that were around in white dwarf 153 (my first one).

or 'Vetock's orc and goblin army with the oop night goblins

zoggin-eck
02-07-2013, 04:39
or 'Vetock's orc and goblin army with the oop night goblins

His army is a great example, since we've seen parts of it since the General's Compendium/Skirmish/Black Gobbo.

williamsond
02-07-2013, 04:59
normally im all for beating on gw but in this case there are loads of examples of armies with models which are oop or have been around for years, that brown and green nids army that keeps cropping up for a start.

Alebelly_Cragfist
02-07-2013, 12:02
GW employees will be massive fanbois and have a nice staff discount. That easily explains the newer models in their masses.

Last time I was at WH World, I was chatting to the barman at Bugman's bar and he said he had something like 10-20Ks worth of "legal" Dwarf models.

Darnok
02-07-2013, 12:30
Concerning "odd" conversions: keep in mind that those guys 'n' gals sit at the very source of all bits available. They can easily trade stuff with a huge pool of people, and in some cases might just get stuff for free when asking friendly - they don't need to buy X boxes of models for certain bits. Those folks also are propably deeper into "the hobby" than most regular hobbyists; when you read some of the comments on what the WD staff does every month, you see that they claim to get incredible amounts of models done.

abdulaapocolyps
02-07-2013, 16:14
On a similar note, I'd like to see a hall of fame section with models they no longer produce... I know this would b counter productive to their strategy for the mag but an actual hall of fame would b interesting.

boli
02-07-2013, 18:12
On a similar note, I'd like to see a hall of fame section with models they no longer produce... I know this would b counter productive to their strategy for the mag but an actual hall of fame would b interesting.

Been done already ;) www.solegends.com/citadel/

defunct
02-07-2013, 20:06
I'd love to see many of the staffs armies, especially designers' ones, like all of the sculptors. Plenty of unique stuff to be found I'm sure.

WLBjork
03-07-2013, 10:19
Last I knew, staff discount was at least 50% for boxes (got on one of the Skullz open days)

In addition, there is probably a bin full of bits, there will be the odd miscast sprue that doesn't meet standards, then there's the leftovers from what the 'Eavy Metal team have built...