PDA

View Full Version : Best Lore for Level 1 High Elf Mage?

iamjack42
01-07-2013, 16:41
I'm building a 2500 point Loremaster led list featuring a unit of Phoenix Guard. I want to take advantage of Shield of Saphery on the Phoenix Guard and am having trouble deciding the best way to do it.

I have conceived three options:

1. Level 1 High Elf Mage (also serving as scroll caddy) w/ the lore of High Magic

2. High Elf Noble with Ring of Fury

3. Level 1 BRB Lore Mage with Ring of Fury

My question is, which lore would be best if I went with option 3?

danny-d-b
01-07-2013, 16:48
your prob best off going option 1- considering your already going to be using all the dice mostly on the lore master, your probably aren't going to be using many dice on him, so its prob best trying to get hand/walk and then subbing one for drain magic for the turn when you realy need to get of that augment/hex

if you were going option 3 I'd go with which ever lore you want to double up the signature spell of a lore as considering how many dice your lore master can go through trying to get a #6 spell through as well with your level 2 might not be as good

Shadeseraph
01-07-2013, 18:24
if you were going option 3 I'd go with which ever lore you want to double up the signature spell of a lore as considering how many dice your lore master can go through trying to get a #6 spell through as well with your level 2 might not be as good

AKA: Beasts, Metal or Heavens. I'd go for beasts.

Option 1 is relatively decent, as a dispel scroll is always a good pick, and you can default to Drain Magic. Soul quench has the problem of being a DD spell, which means once the unit is in combat you can't use it, and out of the remaining spells, only Walk Between Worlds, Apotheosis and Hand of Glory are augments, and both WBW and Apotheosis are a bit situational. On the other side, Drain magic requires 2 dice when cast from a lvl 1, and you are already hungry for dice with a Loremaster. Also, it is dangerous to place a mage on a combat block.

The noble would look like the best option, but you can't use soul quench once the unit is in close combat. Other than that, you can give him a GW or a halberd and some magic equipment to give the unit some punch on close combat, although giving him the ruby, combat ability and decent defense can be tought. My guess would be that running him with the Merwyn shield is the best idea. But maybe your Loremaster is already using it.

wilsongrahams
01-07-2013, 20:26
When you say Loremaster, do you mean a Mage knowing all spells, or a Loremaster of Hoeth, knowing the signature spells? If the first one, is it a High Magic loremaster?

iamjack42
01-07-2013, 21:38
When you say Loremaster, do you mean a Mage knowing all spells, or a Loremaster of Hoeth, knowing the signature spells? If the first one, is it a High Magic loremaster?

I mean a Loremaster of Hoeth.

Basically, I am trying to figure out the best cheap way to get Shield of Saphery on the Phoenix Guard.

The Ring Noble is compelling because I can one dice Soul Quench at the end of a phase once my opponent has used their dispel dice elsewhere. It does suffer from being a direct damage spell and therefore unusable in close combat. On the other hand, I can add a great weapon and get the sort of high strength attacks the Phoenix Guard miss against heavily armored opponents, and I don't have a squishy mage in combat.

The High Mage is compelling because he can serve as a cheap scroll caddy and gets Lileath's blessing. On the other hand, he would likely need at least two dice to cast reliably, unless I was casting Hand of Glory or Apotheosis, neither of which I can be confident that I would get. He's also squishy and in a combat block.

The BRB Mage with the ring (and a scroll) is a bit more expensive but adds some flexibility. There is no Lileath's blessing but there is the opportunity for some very effective spells like Harmonic Convergence, a second casting of Wyssans, or a second casting of Searing Doom. The big problem is the unreliability in picking a BRB lore on a level 1. Getting stuck with a high casting value spell when my Loremaster uses most dice is not appealing. Is there a BRB lore that would be worth the risk?

madival
02-07-2013, 07:41
If yyou are adding him to pheonix guard, go beasts. Wild form is nasty as is transformation. They make for a cheap person who has to bbe dispelled.

ScytheSwathe
02-07-2013, 17:11
The ring of fury is a good trick, and one that I missed previously. But as you said, you cant use it in combat. Which is where your phoenix guard will be wanting the ward save most of the time. I would take option 1 in your case and hope for either of the first 2 spells, using dispel magic if you roll anything else. Because it's great.
If you do want to go with option 3 I would take fire for the extra D3 in the lore attribute. Makes 1 dicing virtually guaranteed to work for whoever casts second, and that's where you want to be with a setup like this. Throwing single dice around everywhere.

that or beasts, but you the loremaster already has it, and casting wildform 2x a turn will eat dice and minimise the strength of the book of hoeth (assuming thats what the loremaster has)

thrawn
02-07-2013, 18:15
i take an archmage with shadow and always a lvl 1 with lore of metal. i'm not sure what it's like in your circles, but high armour save armies (such as chaos warriors and empire) are the new black and my lvl 1 lore of metal has always paid for himself.

if you want that 3++ on the pheonix guard go for a level one high magic and as you said hope for a cheap casting spell (like apotheosis) i can't think of another/better way to do this.

personally if i want that 3++ on a unit i take allarielle with white lions and the banner of the world dragon. your getting a stubborn S6 unit for less points. that way you can also take a level 1 with metals (again nowadays almost compulsory) and still get everything you want.