PDA

View Full Version : 6th Ed Codex trends - Resurrecting the past to get a glimpse of the future?

Talons in the Darkness
02-07-2013, 15:58
Over the last few 6th ed releases, it has become apparent that GW is leaning heavily on ideas from Epic and Rogue Trader/2nd Edition 40k and revamping them for inclusion in the updated dex's. Examples being the revamp of the Khorne Lord of Battle from Epic, the inclusion of an Eldar Knight, the Heldrake to some extent (arguably an evolution of the Tzeentch Firelord) and the offensive capabilites of the wave serpent shield (not sure on this one but I heard it mentioned that this was a throw-back).

I know this will occur to some degree for every codex update but it seems to be more apparent with this faster paced update cycle. So for all those books currently on deck (Orks, Tyranids, Marines, Black Templar (?)), are there any old players from the rogue trader days that can chime in on what they think might make a comeback? Personally, I'm hoping for Lictors getting back the abilities that made them great assassins and the Carnifex going back to being a wrecking machine (Terminator class armor on a high toughness body). Thoughts? Even just reminiscing about what made your favorite units great back in the day would make a good discussion.

Starchild
02-07-2013, 16:11
I'm expecting Forgeworld to make the old Epic Chimera variants when they get around to the Adeptus Mechanicus: Chimerax, Chimedon, etc.

Knight Titans for the Adeptus Mechanicus are a given too based on what GW did with the Wraithknight. I also expect Forgeworld to revisit some of the A.M. units that appeared in the 2nd edition mini codex but never got models: Electro Priests, Engineers, etc.

A.T.
02-07-2013, 16:19
So for all those books currently on deck (Orks, Tyranids, Marines, Black Templar (?)), are there any old players from the rogue trader days that can chime in on what they think might make a comeback?Orks - some of the old crazy wargear like the monowheel, squig arm, and steel skull of stupidity could make a comeback, and madboyz are perfect for 6th eds random table fetish.
There are a lot of ork vehicles not available in 40k - the old towers, spleenrippas, gobsmashas, and so on. Plus super grots.

Nids - Genestealer hybrids. Fexes used to use the vehicle rules but I don't see that happening. 2nd ed nids didn't have a whole lot.
There are the epic models, the dactylis, exorcine, haruspex and malefactors.

Marines - Dark Angels already ran off with all of the old 2nd ed wargear cards, and forgeworld have been remaking all the old models (anyone who played epic 40k will notice that the contemptor looks just a little familiar for instance). If they get eldar-style supplements a few units like firedrakes and tyrannic war vets might turn up in overcosted splatbooks but the core codex itself is likely to see some absurd high toughness walker thing and a couple of 'more elite than elite' and 'more veteran than veteran' marine units.

Templars - their current book is the book from 'back in the day'
Sisters - not on deck, and not in sight according to GW customer service

And then I guess guard would be the next in line.

Marshal_Loss
02-07-2013, 16:57
As a Chaos player my thoughts are mostly irrelevant as we don't be getting another codex for a long, long time. :(

Personally, rather than hoping for something, I'm hoping that they don't do something stupid with Space Marines and add in the half-Terminator half-Dreadnought marines to the fluff. It would suck if they introduced yet another absurd unit out of nowhere into the setting when there are so many more useful things they could bring in.

Grand Master Raziel
02-07-2013, 17:33
Marines - Dark Angels already ran off with all of the old 2nd ed wargear cards

Ha! That's what y'all get for appropriating all our schticks for your 5th ed Codex Ultramarines! ;)

Lord Damocles
02-07-2013, 18:10
Maybe Black Templars will go back to being a Codex Chapter :shifty:

gitburna
02-07-2013, 20:24
i would look at some of the old epic tyranid creatures, there were several large assault beasts in Epic that could see a return or re-imagination (dactylis/exocrine/haruspex/malefactor/dominatrix), assuming GW & FW want to keep the IP... There are the old robots from Rogue Trader - though perhaps these are already covered in the FW horus heresy range. There used to be mutants (beastmen) for IG and Chaos...and an IG variant of the Landspeeder with (i think) Boardboyz/cyboars for orks and potentially some of their wacky artillery units could return...

Im struggling to think of much more that doesn't still exist in some form or other, genestealer hybrids is the most glaring ommission

Gingerwerewolf
02-07-2013, 22:20
Tyranids had Mind Slaves! Thats how we could get Allies

They also had Zoats. Not sure how that would work.

The above are 1st edition

2nd ed Gargoyles had s flamer like Flamespurt attack

Erm a lot of Tyranid stuff is still there though the Screamer Killer is a fex with 2 sets of Scytals and Bioplasma

Oh and the Waveserpent had a effect in epic that moved enemy troops as well as hurt them!

Sent through the Aether using Astropaths

MajorWesJanson
03-07-2013, 00:15
Marines- old stuff:
Vehicles: Sabre Tank Hunter, Grav Attack tank
Support weapons: Tarantula turret, Rapier laser destroyer, Mole Mortar, Thudd Gun
Weapon Options: Grenade Launcher as a special weapon, Autocannon as a heavy
Characters: Ancient Helveticus of the UM, Chaplain Xavier of the Salamanders, Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists,

Ruination Drinker
03-07-2013, 09:09
Meh, they aren't going far enough.

They need to bring back Cl and Wp.

Gingerwerewolf
03-07-2013, 10:28
Meh, they aren't going far enough.

They need to bring back Cl and Wp.

And Randomly generated Stat lines!

Sent through the Aether using Astropaths

Azulthar
03-07-2013, 14:13