PDA

View Full Version : In the Swamps of Barbarus: A Pre-Heresy Death Guard log

D-FLINCH
06-07-2013, 06:21
In the Veil Region, near the Manoragoram Sector at stellar grid coordinate 21-VX-0707, lies a feral world where human life struggles to live in poisonous fog that covers it's surface. Some classify this world as hazardous, toxic, and primeval, but to the warriors of the Death Guard, this world as home.

In the swamps of Barbarus a band of uncivilized warriors were united under a god like man. After decades of war and with the help of their leaders own father, they were able to overthrow their dark rulers and their leader bent his knee to this new father. And this new found leader told his army, “You are my unbroken blades, my Death Guard. By your hand shall justice be delivered, and doom shall stalk a thousands worlds.” And so the Death Guard were born, led by their fearless leader Primarch Mortarion, and were the acting hand of the Emperor himself.

This is a blog about the Death Guard during the Great Crusade, before the betrayal of Horus. To begin, I fell in love with the Death Guard when I heard of their story. Through reading their background in Betrayal, The Flight of the Eisenstein, and other miscellaneous readings, I found myself wanting to do an army of these warriors more and more. I finally started them when the Death Shroud terminators came out and purchased the book shortly after. Since then I have acquired 40 infantry, a preator, and a contemptor dreadnought. There will be more coming down the road but until I finish the last 20 men, there wont be much more. And here is a teaser of things to come.

“Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o’er all”
-The Primarch Mortarion

ss_cherubael
06-07-2013, 10:18
Gorgeous!
Perfect!
Amazing!

Can't wait to see more!

Sqallum
06-07-2013, 13:01
They look really nice. I love the sludge effect.

Laborious
06-07-2013, 15:50
Great to see you jumping in on the heresy, Flinch. That Contemptor is exquisitely done; perfectly grimy and corroded. Subbed! :)

naryn
06-07-2013, 22:23
Wow, great weathering on the Dread. I like the plain shoulders, as well; the unornamented green surface is very Death Guard.

D-FLINCH
08-07-2013, 03:59
@cherubael _ thanks and i think i can get some more pictures....:p

@sqallum - Thanks and i really like how the bases are turning out, and bases are super important to me. I will be doing a post about the bases themselves shortly because they are also important to the theme of the army. but it is actually water effects over some cast resin bases from secret weapons miniature.

@Laborious - Glad to know you approve, and you are true inspiration for me mate!

@naryn - I also feel the same way. I even went as far as to take off the decorations from the preator's shoulder. I felt bad about it because it is such a nice mini!

Well thanks for the replys and i will be posting the stuff that has been finished for a while as i take pictures of it. After all we can't have it all at one time, that would be to much. It is best to spread things out.

So what to put up?... How about Death shroud?
These models were the first models that i bought. And when I bought them i wasn't sure about an army of preheresy, but after i built and painted these bad boys i decided that it would be heresy not to do an army. So i took the plunge. Anyways, seeing what i have been painting now and comparing it to these, it is obvious that i have gotten better at the weathering effects. You will be able to see what i am talking about when i put up the tactical squad, which i think is some of the best painting i have ever done.

These models were a true joy to paint and i loved working with the set. They just have so much character that i hope my work show that. Anyways, you can get a feel of the swamp like bases from these pictures. Hope you enjoy!

Death Shroud Terminators

And as always comments and criticisms are always appreciated!

PrimeMinisterSinister
08-07-2013, 13:45
A technique that I think would really fit in to your excellent weathering would be streaking. I'm sure you know it, but in case, you just take a bit of a dark wash and paint it in thin lines so it looks like the grim that would be deposited by water (or whatever horrible liquids you want) as it trickled off the armour.
These guys look incredible. I love the basing. Do you have any plans to do a few marines up to their knees/shins in swamp?

Fizzy
08-07-2013, 15:04
More pre heresy logs! Subbed :)

D-FLINCH
08-07-2013, 18:50
@PrimeMinisterSinister - I have heard of that and will definitely try it out more!And the main reason i haven't sunk any of the marines in the mud is that it feels wrong chopping them up, but i will get over it.

@Fizzy - I feel the same way! I cant get enough of pre heresy logs.

Fizzy
09-07-2013, 04:45
I will start a second one in a month. Got 2 armies now, just waiting for Fulgrim :)

Are you waiting for Mortarion or getting an alternative model while waiting?

ss_cherubael
09-07-2013, 08:24
Death shroud look great! Easily the best per heresy death guard I have seen.

The basing just sets them off perfectly!

D-FLINCH
09-07-2013, 14:23
@Fizzy - I am waiting for Mortarion... it has to be my most anticipated model ever! and his joining this army might be the end to this army but we will see.

@cherubael - Thanks mate! Means a lot!

Chillwind
09-07-2013, 23:14
Love them. The muted colour scheme hints at what they become but still has that Imperial feel to it. The bases are very characterful as well. Subbed!

Fizzy
10-07-2013, 06:11
An army is never finished :) At least in my opinion.

I look forward to some regular marines as well :) Most boring part for me. 40 Normal tactical marines for World eaters.

D-FLINCH
10-07-2013, 17:31
@Chillwind - Cheers mate! And i also like to think that these men will either die as loyalists, die as traitors, or the unlucky few that will live as infestations of Nurgle. Every man will choose his side when Horus starts the betrayal and that is what i am thinking when i paint each model. sometimes i even make little stories for their past and future! :p This is due to that i read Flight of the Eisenstein as i started this army and it makes it more entertaining.

@Fizzy - True but at that point i may be finally happy with the list not just the models. :D
And I found that the first five were a lot of fun but then the next 10 were boring so i broke them up by doing a heavy support squad. I have another 15 but i dont know if i will be able to stomach the other 10 i am planning on getting to fill out the squads.

Laborious
10-07-2013, 18:01
Couldn't comment on the deathshroud the other day as the only interweb access I had was my phone and the browser was squishing up the pictures in a weird way. I thought Squats were making a comeback! ;) They're looking awesome now I can see big pictures of them, and I must reiterate what other have said about the basing being really, really good. I second the call for knee-deep marines though, fear not the knife, D! :p

D-FLINCH
12-07-2013, 16:59
@Laborious - That brings up a good point. I thought the Death Shroud would of been a little taller than other terminators. But i would like to see a space marine squat army. I'm sure there is one out there. And yes the next batch of 5 marines, after i finish the ones i am painting now, will have the knee deep marine. :p

This is actually going in chronological order, the next models I purchased was the Praetor set. These models are again beautiful. The only major problem I had with the set was that the legs of the Praetor are attached to the rubble. Now this would of been fine if I based them in the rubble of a city, but i didn't... So after cutting off the rubble, he fit perfectly on a base I already had. And it looks pretty d$%@ good in my opinion. The only other alteration i made was that I took off the decorations from the shoulder pad to add to the idea that the Death Guard were not superficial and did not make unnecessary decorations or alterations to their armour. The decorations were not a complete waste because i did use the skull in the base. I also love the different marks combined in one set of armor, another detail that i was impressed by. The Master of signal is also a great model, i really like the hand's interaction with the computer on his arm. Any way here arm the models.

Master of Signal and Praetor

And as always, comments and criticisms are appreciated!

D-FLINCH
29-07-2013, 02:04
Update to prove I have not been slacking!

Up next is the first tactical squad of two. I have 20 finished so I got a group shot but I my list is two squads of 15 at this point.You can see how my weathering and even painting techniques have changed. They are much dirtier than any of the previous models. Much more, I feel Death Guard. I am most proud of the sergeant, who's hand i sculpted and I think looks pretty nice. Now to the models!

Tactical Squad

D-FLINCH
29-07-2013, 02:13
Almost forgot that I took the advice and am no longer scared of the knife! Thanks Laborious! We have some ankle deep marines. I haven't decided how to paint the base where, either water or mud will be, I was thinking it should give the allusion of deep murky water or mud. What should it be dark blue, brown, black, with water effects, or no water effects? I am really perplexed and need the communities help! Here is what they are looking like!

Ankle deep marines WIP

puckus10
29-07-2013, 02:23
Great stuff man they are stunning and the sergeant is amazing!

PrimeMinisterSinister
29-07-2013, 02:39
Awesome work! Nice to see some marines who don't mind getting dirty.
As for the base, I would say a thin layer of water effects, just to make them look like they were in sloshing though brackish liquid and not stuck in muck. It reminds me of the scene in whatever HH book it was when Horus gets wounded and it's all mucky and muddy. Please keep it up!

Petay1985
29-07-2013, 10:13
Absolutely fantastic, i am particualry impressed with the basing and overall 'swap' aesthetic. Looking forward to your next update.

Laborious
29-07-2013, 11:57
Fantastic work, mate. Loving the grittier scheme. That sculpted hand is excellent, really well done. Their poor feet!!! ;) See, once you get over the initial panic it's auite simple, isn't it? :) I agree with Sinister about having them stood in brackish water other than mud, think they'll look ace once they're done. Maybe for a future pose you could use one of the knealing leg sets to model a marine whose slipped, with one arm partially submerged as he steadies himself?

thrawn
29-07-2013, 15:14
love it! love the swampy bases, such a great idea for a death guard legion.

D-FLINCH
31-07-2013, 19:39
Thanks for the compliments guys! It really is keeping me motivated!

Laborious - You have some great ideas for posing marines! I really like that idea and will certainly think about it. And I have decided that I am simply going to throw a layer of water effects and call it a day.

So I haven't had time to finish the ankle deep marines but i will have the pictures soon. But now i just have a heavy support squad. Not much of an update but something to keep you wanting more. One piece of background to these guys was that when I was basing them I thought they shouldn't be in deep swamp. I thought since they are a supporting unit they should be on the shore line, so there is less water effects and some barbed wire to show shallower water... Or at least what appears to be water. :shifty:

Heavy Support with Missile Launchers

And as always comments and criticism always appreciated!

Laborious
31-07-2013, 20:00
Love work mate! I love the oldschool missile launchers. Agree with your rational for the basing, makes sense for them to be on the outskirts. :)

Chillwind
31-07-2013, 22:19
Loving the down and dirty look of your DG. Complete opposite of my beloved EC who wouldn't be seen dead looking that dirty!

D-FLINCH
31-07-2013, 22:58
@Laborious - Thanks Mate!

@Chillwind -Thanks and my DG wouldn't be caught de​ad looking that clean!

Petay1985
01-08-2013, 10:50
Nice work fella, a great looking unit!

D-FLINCH
01-08-2013, 20:52
I usually don't post WIP pictures that often because I think it doesn't look very good but I just finished up these guys and am really excited about how they turned out so I thought I should share them. The only problem is that I really don't like sculpting hands at all. But i did manage to sculpt these three. And as you will notice Laborious, I used your idea of him steadying himself after possibly slipping and I think it looks good.

Tactical Marines WIP

And as always comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Laborious
01-08-2013, 23:24
Perfect! That's exactly what i was envisioning! Sculpting looks a little rough at the moment, but some sanding will sort that out. Your first sculpted hand looked beautiful once painted, so i have no doubt these will shape up nicely too. :)

Laborious
01-08-2013, 23:27
Oh, one minor point I'd perhaps change is that sergeants head. I'd either having looking in the direction he's pointing, or alternatively over his left should as if directing someone behind him. As he is he looks a bit nonchalant, if that makes sense. :)

D-FLINCH
02-08-2013, 00:06
@Laborious - My sculpting is getting better and I am learning tricks as I progress. And i agree the shapes are rough but I will fix it. And i also agree that he doesn't look tense enough. Will change that! Thanks!

DeSnifter
02-08-2013, 07:13
I think the sinking marine looks great and will make a characterful addition to your army. I agree with Laborius that the direction the head of the sergeant is pointing should be changed to follow the hand. I really like what you have done with this army so far though. I am a big fan of the contemptor.

K3nn3rs
02-08-2013, 07:39
This army is amazing!
The models are great but the bases add that extra touch that will set apart from equally well painted armies in my opinion.

Tornik
02-08-2013, 16:52
Fantastic work - subscribed.

childsoldier
02-08-2013, 17:01
The basing and weathering (sludgening?) is absolutely amazing on these guys. Love the fellas who are sinking into the mud. Great job so far!

D-FLINCH
02-08-2013, 17:06
Thanks guys for the compliments.
And i changed the direction of the head and changed the picture. It does look a lot better! I think I will start posting more WIP pictures because this feedback before I paint it is great.

Was working on a conversion that I have wanted to do. Unfortunately i don't have a veteran squad for this guy in the list so i now have a squad of fourteen tactical marines. Not that big of a deal because this will force me to get more marines! Only thing is that the green stuff is not to my liking. The shapes are not sharp enough but I am working on it.
FYI The heavy flamer is from the Imperial Guard sentinel kit.

Veteran with Heavy Flamer

And as always comments and criticisms are always appreciated.

ashc
02-08-2013, 17:27
They really look like swamp fighters, well done!

Laborious
06-08-2013, 18:06
Glad you rejigged the sergeant's head, mate. Looks much more natural now. That flame thrower guy looks great so far. If you feel up to it i'd suggest painting the cannister's as clear glass with noxious looking liquid sloshing around inside, or simply with "toxic" markings on it. Something to suggest it's not a bog standard flamer, but some sort of vicious chemical warfare concoction the death guard have cooked up, ala phosphex.

PrimeMinisterSinister
07-08-2013, 00:13
Man, you are a beast. You're doing some excellent work here, boss. I LOVE the guy up to his shins. Such a good looking model. It'll also add a nice variance of hight to your squads too.
Are you going to put a brace over the forearm of the heavyflamer Astarte? It'll look more solid.

D-FLINCH
07-08-2013, 02:03
@ Laborious - Think I might be able to make that work. And the new positoned head is much better.

@Prime - Thanks man. And the squads are looking so sharp. Can't wait to get unit shots. I didnt think about a brace but I will see. I'm still working on him so I may add them.

No updates for a little while, going on vacation then will be working on a model for a painting competition at my local store. Probably two weeks. But I promise it will be worth the wate.

Petay1985
07-08-2013, 11:52
lovely work, the sergeant looks a lot more natural as Laborius says. The heavy flamer veteran is very nicely done, i would consider looking at how the canisters attach to the power pack, perhaps creating a cradle or my substantial fixing for them....

I really do love this project log, looking forward to your next update.

G.Hawke
07-08-2013, 13:08
i look forwards to seeing that swamp dude painted, it's pretty need idea so far.

-hawke

D-FLINCH
16-08-2013, 19:00
Thanks for the comments guys, I will be back soon. The model i am working on for the painting competition is almost done. Hint: it has orange and blue and is on a ruined temple base. Might post a pick because it does have some preherasy bits on the base.

Just saw that a heavy flamer conversion set came out and I am really diggin the looks of them. Now i just need to figure out if i get it and ditch my personal conversions and if i do how i can use them in a list. I guess veteran squads?

D-FLINCH
02-09-2013, 18:42
I am back after a break and with classes starting again things may slow down. But i have an update to share I have finally put the water effects on the guys up to their shins and I painted and finished their brother. Really like how they turned out. Now I just have 5 more tactical marines and then the icing on the cake, which is 5 autocannon heavy support marines. Then it is on to another order from forgeworld! What shall i get next?! so many choices! I am thinking the new praetor set and apothecaries to round off what I have, and then a spartan for the deathshroud's ride.

Tactical Marines

Petay1985
09-09-2013, 09:50
Nice work fella, the basing effects are paricularly delightful and possibly quite unique. looking forward to your future updates...

Laborious
09-09-2013, 10:03
Welcome back, mate. They look brilliant, the water effect has worked really well. :)

D-FLINCH
29-09-2013, 23:01
Been a bit since last post and classes have been rough but I have something to show for the time! I am coming down to the last few models. Will be placing an order in late October from forgeworld for some new goodies to paint up. I was feeling armour and some medics. But I am up for suggestions!

Anyways here are three guys I just finished up! I love the captain and am very pleased with my freehanded XIV.

Laborious
30-09-2013, 19:37
Welcome back, mate! Loving that Captain, cracking pose and I'm glad you've resisted the temptation to embellish your officers. Looking badass is the only sign of rank a Death Guard needs! :P

Petay1985
01-10-2013, 08:06
lovely work fella. your death guard have a great aesthetic!

Sqallum
01-10-2013, 10:18
Brilliant. Are you going to buy some Grave Wardens?

D-FLINCH
26-10-2013, 21:02
Thanks guys for the comments. And I am planing on getting all the death gaurd units! If only more will come out! :p

Final guy of the second tactical squad is finished and my converted heavy flamer, the first man of the veteran squad coming. He turned out well I think and the tanks on the back are my favorite part of the model.

Then the final unit I had to paint was my autocannon heavy support squad. They were my favorite squad to paint of the infantry. You may notice that the bases are different from the rest, well I ran out of bases and I thought they could be on the dry shoreline of the swamp. so they have some grass moss and shrubs and no water effects.

I will have some more group shot coming soon.

But in the mean time comments and criticisms are always appreciated.

Laborious
26-10-2013, 21:54
Very, very cool, mate. The Flamer guy turned out really well, love the tanks on him. :) Also, I like having the heavy Support squad on dry land. It makes sense for them to hang back to offer fire support, plus with their heavier gear they'd be more likely to sink without a trace than their more lightly-armed companions if they ventured further in. :)

D-FLINCH
02-11-2013, 00:40
@Laborious- My thoughts exactly!

So I made a promise of some group shots so I come to you with some sections of the army. I currently don't have a place to take a nice picture of the whole army but I am working on it.

But I start with a shot of the rank and file soldiers.

The Troops

Next, I give to you the men you want behind you when you get caught in a jam.

The Heavy Support

And my personal favorite, I give to you the boys with the really, really nice toys.

The Elites

And as always comments and criticisms are appreciated!

Spider-pope
02-11-2013, 12:22
Rutherford Lodge's shiny beard, these are some of the best Death Guard i've ever seen. Really impressive work D-FLINCH

Ursus
06-11-2013, 09:56
I'm about to start in on my Death Guard, and have been really torn on doing the swamp bases or urban rubble bases. This is great as it gives me something to look at to help the decision. Great models D-Flinch

D-FLINCH
07-11-2013, 00:28
@ Spider Pope - Thanks man, it means alot!

@Ursus - I had the same problem. City Rubble is done a lot. But that is not as to say that it is bad, because it does look great (Laborious' bases for example) and that is why it is done so much. I chose swamps because I decided not only do I want my models to be unlike any others, but also because if I am spending so much on models, then the bases should be just as nice.

D-FLINCH
18-11-2013, 02:19
Hate to keep everyone waiting! but i got a package yesterday and just got to opening it up today! Well I have started building what is inside and I should have some WIP pictures up shortly. Just thought I would let you all know that I am still working even if it is not at the same feverish pace that I was on when I started this project. Till next time:

As always comments and criticisms are appreciated!

(PS Tanks come in really big bags ;))

Laborious
18-11-2013, 13:35
Is the link working? I can't see anything, mate. :o I WANT TO SEE!!!! :p

D-FLINCH
18-11-2013, 22:15
Well Here are those WIP I promised. I only got one apothecary done and let me say these models are beautiful. My only complaint is that they are both posed with one foot on a pile of rubble. Why do they have to be pulling the captain morgan pose?

But I replaced the pile of debris with a stone. It makes more sense and I will have the other standing on a stump.

I am waiting to pick up some magnets for the main gun and I am trying to find out how to magnetize the sponsens. Will be getting around to that sooner rather than later because I cant wait to paint up this bad boy. Now I am trying to figure out if there should be bullet holes on the hull. Any suggestions on battle damage? (of course there will be plenty of chipping and wear and of course mud)

And as always comment and criticisms are appreciated.

D-FLINCH
29-11-2013, 23:46
Finally got around to picking up the magnets from the store and got the tank magnetized up. There are enough magnets on it that I am scared to get metal objects near it!:p I also got around to finishing up the other apothecary so there is that too.
Any ways here are the pictures for the update, there will be more when it is painted of the magnetization. And I got a new camera because the old one broke and the picture quality is a little better so now we can all really see any mistake I make... so enjoy that! :shifty:
(FYI I still have to put on the brass etches but we will see those when it is all painted up!)

And if you remember, a while back I took some time away from the herasy to paint up some competition models. Well I feel bad about putting zenos models on a imperium blog so I will put them in a spoiler.
So these bad boys were so much fun to do. The converting of the wraithlord was so much fun and painting them was even better. The clean and bright colors were a nice break from the beaten to s*** armour and color scheme I usually do. 182506182507182508182509182510182511

ChaplainAvorus96
10-12-2013, 00:14
Awesome work man! I love the work you have done with them. I see that you have been working primarly with Crusade Era armor for most of your Death guard, do you have plans on working with the other marks of armor? I ask cause i am curious to see some different Color scheme application for the Iron armor in particular. Great work on your Death Guard!!

Fizzy
10-12-2013, 08:49
Good news for Death Guard collectors. Calas Typhon is coming :)

Looking forward to seeing these painted.

D-FLINCH
01-01-2014, 14:43
@Chaplain- I plan on adding to the tactical squads with some mk 3 armour and I have plans for some veterans with mk 2 armour but because they have seen more combat than anyone, they will have pieces of mk 4 to show that their armour was repaired with newer marks. And thanks for the compliments!

@Fizzy- I am pretty excited for grave wardens and Typhon. I am just trying to figure out how to work in the awesome typhon base in with my swamp themed bases. And I assume his rules are in Massacre. And look no further, the first one is painted!

And with that here is the first apothecary. I think he turned out just how I imagined him.

And a WIP shot of the tank just to get you interested. The guns and turret are finished.

cpl_hicks
01-01-2014, 23:48
They look sweet, only criticism the plant hung on the apothecarys base dosent work

Craskie12
02-01-2014, 23:20
fantastic army so far. would you care to share how you painted the armour on these

D-FLINCH
03-01-2014, 18:09
CPL_Hicks - not sure which plant you mean but the tall one I think might be too tall

Craskie - Thanks man. And your not the first person to ask so I may do a step by step tutorial with my next purchase. (Typhon and Grave Wardens I'm thinking)

D-FLINCH
03-01-2014, 18:39
I finished the tank! And I am very pleased with it. So much time went into the painting as usual and the weathering takes a forth of the time and hides so much of the painting. But it turned out well. I was trying to figure out how much mud and weathering the tank would have. I decided that there would be more chipped paint at the bottom and less as you go up. And I wasn't sure how much mud there should be on a vehicle traveling through the swamp, but I winged it and it turned out better than anticipated. My favorite part of the model are the plasma color and I am really proud of the free handed XIV.

Laborious
03-01-2014, 19:58
Very nice work indeed, mate. :) I feel your pain on the weathering obscuring so much of your previous hard work, but on the plus side you'll now have a better idea for future vehicles what steps you can skip safely. :)

D-FLINCH
05-01-2014, 16:53
Laborious - Thanks, and one thing I won't need to do again is paint the treads! I did my full metal recipe with washes and all, then covered them in mud never to be seen again... :cries:

D-FLINCH
06-01-2014, 23:54
Nice looking picture I thought I would share with you all!

D-FLINCH
18-01-2014, 04:45
Wrote a little something to somewhat introduce the next addition to the army. Hope you all enjoy, and the story will continue.

Seventh Outpost 456

Cytus’s left foot suddenly slipped out from underneath him. He stumbled but managed to catch himself on a large blasted tree stump. He tried to keep walking, but his boot was stuck under what seemed like a large limb. He couldn’t be sure because he was now up to his waist in the dark mud like substance. He tried to move his foot but as he kept moving it seemed only to get more stuck. He kicked out his foot and managed to break the bond that was holding his boot in place. With the kick, the dark mud splashed up in a spray and managed to rain down on his plated armour. At that point he heard a laugh from behind him; he turned around only to see three marines standing in the shallower swamp he just managed to walk through.

Sargent Gygus was a few meters behind him and was nimbly making his way toward Cytus around the blasted logs and tree stumps. There was the rest of the squad scattered about behind him. He was taking great care with each step he took but still managed to watch Cytus falter in his attempt to free himself from the submersed root. “Now that is how you walk through a swamp!" He yelled sarcastically. "But you really should know how to walk through a swamp by now Cytus!”

“Well Demecius doesn’t seem to be doing much better!” Cytus pointed at another marine that was struggling through the swamp. He was up to his knees in the dark mud. Demecius thought little of being pointed at and kept trudging on.

Gygus glanced over at Demecius and then back to Cytus, who took another step and sunk a little more. “These Terrans are a disgrace.” He mumbled beneath his breath.

“What’s that?” Asked Cytus

“I said that you Terrans that Typhon keeps sending me can’t walk through a damn swamp to save your lives!”

“What is your secret then Gyrus? How does an origonal Dusk Raider walk through a swamp then?” retorted Cytus.

“Well to start with I stay away from the stumps like the one you just managed to get stuck on. They usually have a massive root system that even a powered armoured foot can get stuck on.” Gygus kept walking and came to an area of ground that had only a thin layer of water on it. “So I stay away from tree stumps in the dark mud and stay closer to the lighter brown mud. After an orbital bombardment like the one Prime Ocealios here has gone through, the silt, mud and ash settle to the bottom of the swamp and the water rises to the top. So where there is less of that mud mixture and more water it is usually more stable for us to walk.” With that he took a few more steps to prove his point. On his third step there was crunch that sounded like a broken stick. When Gygus looked down he noticed that there seemed to be a hand sticking out from the mud. He bent over and pulled it out of the mud. It was an arm disconnected at the shoulder from its original owner with a now very broken fore arm. “Well it seems that I wasn’t the only one who had the idea to stick to the lighter side of things” He dropped the arm and it made a satisfying “PLOP!” in the mud,

By now Cytus and Demecius had made their way to the area of light mud and water with much ease. Cytus looked at the arm then at Gygus, “What was Prime Ocealius? This arm seems to of belonged to a servitor judging from the implanted wires coming from the shoulder?”

Demecius intercepted the question and answered, “It was a death planet much like Barbarus, that Gygus here is from, except approximately eighty percent of the planet was covered in dense swamp vegetation. The other twenty percent was covered by worker habs and industrial plants that focused on the conquering of the natural resources beneath the surface. There was rumor about this planet you know, that there were large creature’s that lived in the swamps. I heard Megalesius over there say he saw a track of some creature that was the size of his chest plate. ”

As they were talking, they continued to walk. For Cytus it was more of a difficult tread as he still was having difficulty walking through the swamp and listening at the same time. He also found what the arm appeared to belong to, or at least what remained of the beastly looking thing. By the end of Demecius’s speech they had gotten to what appeared to be a road. As it was slightly raised above the rest of the area and it appeared to have tracks of large vehicles on it. They carried onwards, now much easier as they had a sense of land beneath them. Their target was a small industrial outpost called Seventh Outpost 456 at the end of the road.

Gygus then began, “The government here ignored Horus’s request to increase the industrial production of fuels here and decided that their resources were already at full capacity. After they were threatened by Horus himself they increased their production. This only lead to a rebellion of the workers here, and they soon gained control of the small government and the weapons that were used to defend from the creatures that lived within these swamps. Horus decided that he no longer cared for this death world and gave the 14th legion the right to cleanse it of its inhabitants.”

“Cleanse of course meaning orbital bombardment followed by full Death Guard assault of any remaining structures?” Suggested Cytus .

Before anyone could respond they heard the sound of an explosion in the distance. A cloud rose from the outpost in front of them. Then behind them there came a roaring, they quickly got off to the side of the road only to let a tank come rumbling by.

“Well it seems that the cleansing didn’t get rid of everything on this death world, because that Spartan sure is on a mission,” stated Gygus.

With that the three marines got back onto the road and started to run after the Spartan and towards the outpost where more explosions could be heard from and a few bolter rounds rang out.

Cytus looked to both sides of the road. On the left side, about 20 meters away from the road, ran three other marines and on his right, about fifteen meters from the road ran another six. They ran through the blasted wetlands over fallen logs and around tree stumps, all of them knew exactly what to do without being told, they had to reach their objective and take a survey of what they were dealing with. The twelve of them made up Sargent Gyrus’s Squad, their objective was to secure the outpost. But now there was heavy support and it seemed that it would be more complicated than just a routine capture and control. After all, doesn’t a Spartan seem like overkill for just a few rebel remnants?

Cytus stopped thinking and refocused on his primary objective, reach Seventh Outpost 456.

ss_cherubael
18-02-2014, 05:15
Haven't been in here for a little while, everything looks as awesome as normal!

Those tac marines stuck in the mud look wicked and the apocs are very well done, have you used any weathering powders on these guys or just paint and washes?

Atia
18-02-2014, 11:23
Looks good so far, nice Bases ;)

For Mortarion!!

Red Scorpion
23-02-2014, 18:31
I love this army :) so grim and dirty!

EscalationPainting
23-02-2014, 20:44
absolutely loving your work, I'm am so keen to start a pre-heresy army and death guard are high on my list.

Your bases are amazing!

D-FLINCH
23-02-2014, 21:08
cherubael - thanks and all of it is done with paints. Never tried powders but have been interested. And there will be a painting and basing tutorial because a lot of people are really intrigued in these guys.

atia and Red scorpion - thanks guys

Escalation - Do it! Jump into our world of resin crack addiction. you wont regret it! :p

D-FLINCH
23-02-2014, 21:42
Well it has been a while and I haven't posted much new work. I have had some fun with some writing that I would like to continue. I I will eventually get another order into forgeworld in the near future when my life allows it. I'm liking the heads and torsos for death guard. I'm thinking some mkIII veterans. You will have to stay tuned.

So onto the work. I am not a huge fan of posting work in progress because it is just that. In progress and doesn't look all that good. And let me tell you. This model looked terrible until the last few steps of it. And I had it laying around waiting for the weathering for a few weeks too. But now that I am finished with it it is time to show this baby off. A few notes on the model. I tried OSL for the first time, and i remember someone saying that you should magnetize the weapons because it reduces its footprint by a lot when you store it.

And with that I introduce Mr. Spartan Assault Tank.

And as always all comments and criticisms are much appreciated.

Still Standing
12-06-2014, 08:57
As a man who has just bought a Death Guard terminator army this log has provided lots of inspiration. I am looking forward to seeing your paint recipe too. It's been a while, but keep the painting going would be a shame to give up now. :)

ashc
12-06-2014, 09:36
Great plog, I love seeing well executed death guard

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Phatsquirre1
13-06-2014, 03:51
Wow, these Death Guard are great. :D

I love the Predator, how was it to build? I'm thinking of getting one (or a couple) for my heresy army.

Can't wait to see more of your XIVth!

D-FLINCH
16-06-2014, 03:42
Still Standing- With the return of summer and classes over I am planning on making a purchase soon. Maybe just 5 guys, just a little something to get the gears rolling again cause it has been a long hiatus. I will be sure to do a full tutorial. And maybe even some more short stories. I really enjoyed them. and I'm glad
my army has given you inspiration, that means a lot. Best of luck and keep an eye out here.

ashc- Thanks mate!

Phat squrriel- The predator was a piece of cake to build compared to the Spartan. My only suggestion is to magnetize because its pretty easy on them, and DRY FIT, DRY FIT, DRY FIT. Just to make sure the pieces are where they need/are supposed to be. Also several is a good idea, the model is killer and so are their rules and points. It has been my MVP several times. and like I said, there should be more soon. :p

PrimeMinisterSinister
17-06-2014, 18:01
Still looking great.

D-FLINCH
20-12-2014, 04:59
I did not disappear and I'm not dead yet! I took a long hiatus from Warhammer and am just jumping back in. I finally got some free time to start gaming again. But instead of Death Guard I got caught up with one of my first 40k armies, Blood Angels. I may be posting some pics of what I am working on for them. I am still planning on doing a color scheme tutorial at some point and I still have some additions to this army that I want to add. Now I just need to find some more funds! I'll be back.