PDA

View Full Version : What are the best/recommended miniaturealternatives to Warhammer Fantasy armies?

Campaigner
06-07-2013, 19:36
I'm new to Warhammer and want to start with Warhammer Fantasy but GWs prices are insane! I checked the pricethread here and know that most of you think the same.

A few days ago at the local gameclub I watched a game of WHF between Vampire Counts and Empire and noticed the Empireplayer had Roman miniatures....he told me that many use miniatures from other companies since they are much cheaper and that GW are so obscenely expensive since they have a monopoly. I talked to the guy working there and he confirmed that GW has a monopoly. Oh joy....

I wonder which miniatures that are recommended as replacements for WHF and if there are replacements for everything. Is there a list or something?

The local store (Not a GW store. It's called Playoteket) have a 20% discount on all GW stuff. If I'm going with GWs miniatures then the best deal would be the Island of Blood + High Elf Battalion Box. That would cost me 75€ + 84€ = 159€ With 20% of that is 127€.

A part of me wants magic, artillery, ranged firepower and big, cool units so was thinking of The Empire since they have the best artillery according to the boss of my local gamestore. Plus they have the cool Steamtank and the Luminark of Hysh/Celestial Hurricanum.
Downside is, the Empire is very expensive. When I asked the boss of the store (Göran) about which army to choose between High Elves and Empire he said:

Him: "You got alot of money?"
Me: "Yeah".
Him: "You got a really good amount of money?"
Me: "Uuuh yeeaahh..? (but wasn't thinking of spending everything I own on some ******* miniatures) () = thought, didn't say.
Him: "Empire"

mrtn
07-07-2013, 12:50
I'm currently working on a historical army for the Thirty Years War that will also work as a Empire army (just add a few sorcerers). I'm using plastic miniatures from Warlord Games (http://www.warlordgames.com/store/pike-shotte.html). Other popular alternatives are the Hundred years war models from Perry Miniatures. The Empire should be one of the easiest to find alternatives for, at least when you look at the "normal" models, but if you want the crazy chariots (steam tank and so on) then you should look at GW. Or convert something, but that may be a bit daunting if you're a newbie to the hobby.

StygianBeach
07-07-2013, 12:58
For the Rank and File Emipre alternatives are easy to come by.

For the big stuff like the Steam Tank, Demigriffs or Buff Wagons cheaper alternatives are not so easy to find.

ElBeaver
07-07-2013, 13:25
Going by 'time is money' and factoring in the time spent assembling and painting, they are suddenly not that expensive (time wise).

Anyways you can save 20-25% on buying gw or other brands online. Sometimes even get free shipping.

Johnmclane
07-07-2013, 22:14
Check out gamemaniacs.se. cheaper and got more or less every other companies ranges. And swedish *guessing you're a swede. Can't see your profile when on my phone

Gerod253
08-07-2013, 00:06
Not sure about most of the big items in the Empire list, but I bet that you could convert a Warlord Games Sherman Tank into a steam tank by just replacing the cannon with something time period appropriate and adding some smoke stacks and such to the end to emphasize the 'steam powered' feel of it.

The volley gun can be represented by a historical organ gun. Rocket batteries you could probably make yourself just using a simple stick frame and some handmade rockets.

Also take a look at Wargames Factory. They have a decent selection of Vikings, Romans, Celts, ect. They also have some 17th and 18th century figures in their War of Spanish Succession line that could work for you if you want a more formal feeling.

The WSS guys offer the most variety since their infantry box set is capable of making Swordsmen, Spear/Pike, and different kinds of musket armed foot. Add in the cavalry and you have enough bits to make cuirassiers(Knights), Dragoons(Outriders and Pistoleers), and armored bits to convert your infantry if you wish. I haven't taken a close look at the artillery set though. It does look good with several options for cannons.

The main draw for WF is the price. Full retail is about 20 US for a box. Infantry is 36 figures a box, Cavalry is 12 figures a box, and there are two cannons on wheeled carriages in each artillery box. Here is a link. http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/horse-and-musket

boli
08-07-2013, 01:06
Do not be afraid for unit fillers. A good set of unit fillers not only.adds character to your army but it is also cheaper. Add that to army and battalion deals you can reduce the cost of things.

Plus you can get GW for cheaper than advertised

Ramius4
08-07-2013, 01:37
Going by 'time is money' and factoring in the time spent assembling and painting, they are suddenly not that expensive (time wise).

Eh? Your logic is backwards. Spending time on something in addition to money, when you have a "time is money" philosophy means they're more expensive, not less... Just sayin ;)

Do not be afraid for unit fillers. A good set of unit fillers not only.adds character to your army but it is also cheaper. Add that to army and battalion deals you can reduce the cost of things.

Plus you can get GW for cheaper than advertised

Unit fillers are an excellent suggestion. And I have to say, they can be really fun to build if you're into the hobby side of things.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-07-2013, 05:33
Well, that guy at your shop wasn't very helpful. The Empire Battalion is one of the best. You can very easily get a good sized army for 250 € or so, which is no more or less expensive than almost everything else WFB or 40k, at least not noticeably so.

Perry Minis offer very good quality. They're a little small but perfectly usable IMO.

I also support the notion of unit fillers. I only did it once or twice to test an extreme list with a little stand of trees, which isn't the perfect filler, but an Imperial Ogre or a riding officer or a nice terrain piece can all look good.

valle
08-07-2013, 08:20
Yep, unit fillers are my favorite as well... For units that you feel could have a skirmish feel about them rather than militaristic rank and file its also a great idea to put 2 or 3 on a monstrous infantry base which will fill out for 4 models... I dont know how many of such units empire have other than flaggalants? Perhaps units with a local militia feel?. I would also suggest the GW fences for unit fillers, they have great character and even have some signs in there so you could write the city names from the state that unit comes from on the sign and then make your entire front rank a fence. It would perhaps cause a problem for command groups, unless you either make it look like they are standing just in the opening of the fence or if you just tell your opponent that it is to add feel to the unit and that your command is ofc in the front rank... Most sensible opponents wouldnt have a problem with that.

Yowzo
08-07-2013, 10:18
Yep, unit fillers are my favorite as well... For units that you feel could have a skirmish feel about them rather than militaristic rank and file its also a great idea to put 2 or 3 on a monstrous infantry base which will fill out for 4 models...

That's an option.

For empire things like an overturned cart, a supply wagon (using the poney with the BftSP) or a warmachine you're no longer using (I'm looking at you, mortars), even ogres painted in Empire colours.

Terrain-based fillers work better with armies like beastmen, elves, etc.

m1acca1551
09-07-2013, 02:17
Perry miniatures, saga Vikings etc

But unit fillers are the best way to go, really a great way to promote the fluff of your army, my mercenry unit filler is a pay chest, simple fun and adds a dynamic spark to the unit and the game.

Myster2
11-07-2013, 00:11
You can also check on websites such as bartertown and dakka dakka for classifieds. A lot of times you can find people clearing out their minis for 30-70% of retail.

BigbyWolf
11-07-2013, 08:37
I don't know exactly what the saving is, but I like GameZone Minatures "Imperial" line. Great for an Estallian "Empire" army.

I use Mantic zombies and ghouls (the zombies because I just raise them, so can't be arsed spending loads on them, and the ghouls because I prefer Mantics ones...they look more like the degenerate humans I've always thought ghouls should be).

If I was starting OnG again, I'd probably get my non-Savage Orc Orcs from Mantic too. For the price they're pretty decent models.

MLP
11-07-2013, 09:24
I would say that if you plan on buying alternative miniature rather than GW make sure you actually like the models. I've seen it happen plenty of times when people have bought models which are cheaper but end up just not using them because really they'd rather have the GW miniature.

Personally I think the empire range is full of great models, if you have the money and like the models then buy the GW ones. At a discount of course as there's no point paying full retail unless you have to.

stryperred
11-07-2013, 10:42
Also check out www. the Russian alternative figures. They havn't got that many figures in their range as yet but are getting more and range will also be quite good. But the figure quality speaks for itself imho.

Griefbringer
13-07-2013, 18:58
Other popular alternatives are the Hundred years war models from Perry Miniatures.

While their Hundred Years War range ("Agincourt to Orleans") has very nice models, I would rather recommend their Wars of the Roses range, and the complementary European Armies range - these feature several very nice plastic sets, metal artillery pieces and some other very nice items.