PDA

View Full Version : Can I Skip to Angel Exterminates?

Lamont Cranston
10-07-2013, 21:12
Hey,

I am starting an IW army and wanted to read Angel Exterminates, but I havenít read any of the HH books since Mechanicam. I know the first 3 were like a series, are any of the others like that, or can I skip to Angel Exterminates and then go back?

Thanks,

Bad monkey
10-07-2013, 21:15
Yeah pretty much, I did.

MiyamatoMusashi
10-07-2013, 21:56
For IWs, there's only really a novella and a short story or two about them before AE, so I suppose there's no problems there.

AE is also very largely about Fulgrim and the Emperor's Children. There's been a lot written about those guys (starting most significantly with the Fulgrim novel itself, but a number of other books, novellas and shorts building up his/their story). If it's mainly the IWs you're interested in I guess it won't matter though.

jareddm3
10-07-2013, 22:11
As long as you've read Fulgrim, you have the vast majority of the background you'll need.

DarkChaplain
10-07-2013, 22:50
Angel Exterminatus builds on Fulgrim, the novella "The Reflection Crack'd" in The Primarchs and "The Crimson Fist" in Shadows of Treachery.

There are some bits here and there which feature Iron Warriors, in particular one story from Age of Darkness, "The Iron Within", which might be especially interesting to you, since it both shows the Iron Warrior way of war, and Legion Loyalists who were untouched by the treachery. It gets only shortly refered to in Angel Exterminatus.

I would still advise against skipping directly to it. There's been plenty of buildup stories since Mechanicum, and while you can certainly ignore plenty of the books, stuff like The First Heretic and Age of Darkness provide a very nice framework for all the things going on. You'll be familiar with the basics about Calth and Signus Prime, Prospero and co, but I feel that skipping straight to Angel Exterminatus, as well as Betrayer, will scrap a lot of the dramatic development of the war at large.

jakejackjake
29-08-2013, 23:48
I had only read Horus Rising, Mark of Calth, and Fear to Tread none of which connect to AE at all and AE was my favorite of those four by far. From the ones I've read even if you didn't want to learn of the IW I'd still reccommend you start with it. It is still better then most of the ones I've read which numbers about ten of them now and some of the audio dramas.

Nothing in any of the other books I read since including Fulgrim would have made AE more enjoyable had I read them first. If that helps.

Sandlemad
30-08-2013, 10:48
Yes but seriously, read The Iron Within. Absolutely fantastic, badass characters and incredibly cinematic. It follows Warsmith Dantioch, who is loyal to the Emperor and places himself against Perturabo, but is definitely an exemplary Iron Warrior. Any insight you gleam from his mindset and attitude can be safely extrapolated to the rest of the legion.

Crimson Fist is also good and Angel Exterminatus does reference its plot often enough, but it's not absolutely necessary. Focuses more on the Imperial Fists anyway.

dienekes96
30-08-2013, 19:16
Iron Within is one of the (and possibly THE) best short stories in the HH series (and there are a LOT of short stories).

Scribe of Khorne
31-08-2013, 03:06
Really? I wasnt that enamored with it. I put stuff like The Last Remembrancer way higher, but I havent read the Calth book yet as its still in the 'no way will i pay that' range on Itunes.

MiyamatoMusashi
31-08-2013, 12:31
Yeah, I thought Iron Within was OK. Decent read. Nothing special.

Yokan
07-09-2013, 14:49
Well the ending was really nice. You wouldn't have expected it, but if you think it through it's logically and physically possible.

Nazguire
13-09-2013, 15:32
The Iron Within and The Serpent Beneath are hands down the best short stories. Maybe because Rob Sanders is just amazing though. His SMB novel, Legion of the Damned, was incredibly written. He gave in one book more character to a Chapter, the Excoriators, than other authors do in entire series to other Chapters.
If you want a feel of the division between loyalties within a Legion, The Iron Within and The Serpent Beneath will give you that. Another brilliant short story is Little Horus. I rate that very highly too. More meaningful character development in a few pages than Angel Exterminatus, in my opinion, managed in an entire book.