PDA

View Full Version : One army man/woman/other?

Bad monkey
12-07-2013, 09:00
Hi folks,

Just curious how many of us are loyal to the one lot if toy soldiers, and if so, why?

Me I have tried other armies and games systems but nothing has caught my imagination quite as much as my emperors children. Going on 20 years in the hobby now and they are the only full army I have collected and used in battle.

The rules/competitiveness of them don't factor into my choice, it's the background and character of them that I love.

One of my favourite quotes that to me serves as inspiration was from the old index astrates articles "we are his children, only through imperfection can we fail. We shall not fail!"

It just sums up the arrogance of the ec.

So are you like me, loyal to your faction, or am I a rare breed?

Sir Didymus
12-07-2013, 09:15
I went through 4 fantasy armies to find the one playstyle that fitted me - actually the third fitted me best, but wood elves were just so different from the rest, that it felt like I wasn't playing the same game as my opponents.

With 40K I'm in it for variety of models, I chose Daemonhunters for variation in models, and is currently expanding with Tau and DE allies and a Tau/DE alliance, as I like those models too.

I started out around '90 - with a big break until about 2008. And have totally disregarded any new fluff since then, as I find the current writing horrendously juvenile - it probably fitted me better, when I myself was juvenile ;) So I just go on with my own idea of the 41st millennium ;)

Felwether
12-07-2013, 09:22
I've been collecting my marine chapter for the last 8 years or so. I've started new armies on a few occasions but I always seem to go back to the Marines Immaculate.

Now all I have to do is actually finish painting them...:shifty:

jackers
12-07-2013, 09:49
I play one army in each system, so I guess that counts :)

In 40k I play my custom Dark Angels successor chapter, and I have no urge to start a second army, cos I absolutely love the theme and background of the Dark Angels. It is a nice bonus that the Ravenwing are very effective in 6th :).

In Fantasy I play Lizardmen. They were always one of my favourite races, but unfortunately 8th ed. has not been kind to them, lol. Hopefully the new book will make them more usable.

I haven't played LoTR in a while, but I do have an Uruk warband. I may have to dig it out soon and see how LoTR plays now.

infamousme
12-07-2013, 10:00
To put it simply, no. I have 9 Fantasy armies and 8 40k armies..... but my thing is that I am a modeler and painter first and a gamer second. So I get project ideas in my head and run out and buy a new army as I have a deep need to fufill my ideas and they wont stop bothering me until i do.

Shadeseraph
12-07-2013, 10:03
My WHFB army is High Elves, so when I started playing WH40K I though eldar would be the obvious option, but I wasn't too convinced. I disliked the models, and their lore wasn't really attractive. Then Tau appeared. I still have my 3rd edition Tau codex, and I haven't strayed from the Greater Good since then. Although the Farsight supplement may tempt me to do so.

Angelwing
12-07-2013, 19:30
My answer is no. I've got quite a few armies kicking around. It prevents things becoming stale for me, and an opponent can always borrow one to try out or change the pace for themselves.
However, I do have a main army, the one I buy new releases for and play the most often. Some of my armies only get a handful of outings every few years or so.

Telemachus
12-07-2013, 19:52
Hi folks,

Just curious how many of us are loyal to the one lot if toy soldiers, and if so, why?

Me I have tried other armies and games systems but nothing has caught my imagination quite as much as my emperors children. Going on 20 years in the hobby now and they are the only full army I have collected and used in battle.

The rules/competitiveness of them don't factor into my choice, it's the background and character of them that I love.

One of my favourite quotes that to me serves as inspiration was from the old index astrates articles "we are his children, only through imperfection can we fail. We shall not fail!"

It just sums up the arrogance of the ec.

So are you like me, loyal to your faction, or am I a rare breed?

Not that rare I suspect. I've been into 40k on and off for around the same length of time as you, and I've only ever collected and played Space Marines.

Everytime I see a Codex release and the new models that come with them, I get an urge to go and buy a new army. However, I soon get control of myself, my wife gives me that look that says 'Go on, try it. Go, on I dare you'. So, I resist the urge, do as I'm told and stick with my Marines.

I did nearly get an Empire army once, but the less said about that the better.

ColShaw
12-07-2013, 20:19
I've tried, painted, played, and enjoyed many armies. But in 40K I'm an Imperial Guard infantry commander, first and foremost.

In WFB, I just can't get away from Night Goblins.

I like really large armies... can you tell? ;)

djhowitzer
12-07-2013, 21:00
Eldar. Since 1988. What can i say - i love my girls.

DarkReaver
12-07-2013, 21:14
It's awkward to me. I love the Lost & The Damned army list from the Eye of terror Codex but that's redundant now.... I've played Slaanesh Marines and Daemons for a bit but I can't shake the calling of my Mutants.

So now I'm using the Ork Codex to make my Lost & The Damned horde.

Ozendorph
12-07-2013, 21:24
Current full armies: Angels of Vengeance, CSM (World Eaters, Death Guard, Black Legion), Khornate Daemons, Alaitoc, Cadian IG, Order of Caliban (GK), and a bunch of 'Crons that used to be a full army...not sure if still the case due to codex changes.

What can I say? War is my master; Death, My mistress.

ForgottenLore
12-07-2013, 21:40
I have several armies, but I always ti them into my tau somehow. IG are human auxiliaries, Eldar are a friendly craftworld that helps them from time to time, space marines will be a renegade chapter that is operating as mercenaries in tau space instead of in a warp storm, etc...

So, yes and no. I collect several lines of miniatures, but in my mind I don't have an "army", I have an Empire, and they are all a part of that empire.

(No idea what I am going to do if and when I finally assemble all those Tyranid models I have been accumulating over the years).

Menthak
12-07-2013, 23:15
1 Game system (unless you count Kill team)
As many armies as I can get my hands on, I'm not a fan of Orks/Dark Eldar, but I realise their place and would love more of their minis.

Fizzy
12-07-2013, 23:35
Hmm yeah I had armies in 40K I were very loyal to. Orks, Eldar, Post heresy World eaters and Post heresy Emperors children. But I sold those after a few years.

Now I am loyal to my Heresy era World eaters. Second to that my Heresy era Emperors Children :)

I read every book I can find on them and every Lexicanum article I can find. I cant stop talking about them and draw Angron smashing enemies to the ground. My latest drawing is the moment when Angron stops a warhound titan foot with his arms.

Chaos all and all since 2002. But mostly World Eaters and Emperors Children.

Ambience 327
13-07-2013, 00:36
Not me. I have owned and played with nearly every 40K faction at one time or another. I think Necrons are the only ones I have never owned or played with. I like variety to my games, and playing different styles really delivers that.

Currently, I have Deathwing, Orks, Tyranids and a small Genestealer Cult in a playable state. (though they all still need various additional work). I also have Adeptus Arbites, Eldar Exodites and Eldar Harlequins forces waiting to be built.

Reasonable Commissar
13-07-2013, 13:30
I play pretty much everything as I get bored with 1 army quickly and like to change things and use new units and things. I dont have all the space marine chapters but have most the other armies.

Herman the Heathen
13-07-2013, 13:33
I started playing orks in the late 80's.
Never looked at another army.
Fungus FTW!

Radium
13-07-2013, 13:35
Is half-half an option as well? At heart, I am an Eldar man. I will always love the army and it will always be my primary army. I also have a deathwing army, a blood angels army and a dark eldar army. My infatuation with the lesser races is always shortlived though, and I always return to the Eldar after a little bit.