PDA

View Full Version : Blue Horrors: magic attacks?

TheDanish
14-07-2013, 22:15
Hi folks! I played my first fantasy game in a few years today, and I absolutely had a blast.

My opponent unexpectedly fielded Daemons, and having not known I would face them, I was quite happy I had brought the Banner of the World Dragon on my Swordmasters. At one point my SMs got into combat with his Horrors and proceeded to shred them into fine, cube-like bits, but then my brave elves suffered enormous return casualties from the Blue Horror strikebacks. My opponent said he didn't think Blue Horror strikes counted as magical attacks (and he's a great, honest guy so I didn't ask to see the army book), so I let it go through. Needless to say my SMs took a beating without that 2++. But it seemed a bit strange that they wouldn't be magical attacks, since they happen before combat resolution.

TLDR version: do Blue Horror strike-backs count as magic attacks?

Rudra34
15-07-2013, 00:45
I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't. Seeing as how all attacks, even thunderstomps, made by the army are magical, it only makes logical sense that these attacks be as well.

TheDanish
15-07-2013, 15:24
Do the Blue Horrors count as Horror attacks? In that case I think they're definitely magic.

Lord Inquisitor
15-07-2013, 15:55
The blue horror text basically says you put counters down and then after all other attacks are made each counter makes a S2 hit. So they're not attacks from the horrors per se.

That said, the main rule is this:

"A daemon's attacks are magical. This includes any special, ranged or stomp attacks they make."

Personally I'd include this as a special attack.

Daemon players have been trying to find a loophole for the banner of the world dragon (rather understandably!) since the HE book came out. This is a new one but it seems a stretch to me, I don't see any reason not to treat it as a special attack.

Bloodedsoul
16-07-2013, 17:35
Gotta agree with Lord Inquisitor on this one.