PDA

View Full Version : High Elf restructure - 2000 points

Kahadras
18-07-2013, 23:18
Having played a few games now with my current High Elf army I think it's time to have a rethink and restructure of the list.

Prince + Barded steed + Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone and dragon armour
Archmage + Barded steed + Talisman of Protection

Noble + Griffon (Swiftsense and Swooping strike) + Sword of Might, Dragonhelm, dragon armour and shield

9 Silver Helms + FC and shields
10 Silver Helms + FC and shields
5 Ellyrian Reavers + bows

10 Shadow Warriors
10 Shadow Warriors

Frostheart Phoenix
Eagle
Eagle

Going over the list. I decided that I wanted an Archmage back in the army as I found that I was missing the flexibility. I've decided to swap out Lore of Beasts for Lore of High Magic due to the fact that I really couldn't afford a level 4 caster. High Magic offers the advantages of two signature spells giving me a great choice of what I can take when I roll in addition to giving me the +1 to cast meaning that he casts as though he's a level 4. By giving him the Amulet of Protection I can buff his ward save via Shield of Saphery. In addition to taking the Archmage I also wanted a hitty character to join one of the Silver Helm units to give them a boost in combat. I decided to take a Prince over a Noble due to the fact I could have a leadership 10 general for the army and I could load him down with some decent gear for combat. He's got 4 strength 6 attacks, a 1+ rerollable armour save, a 6+ ward save and Fireborn so he's not too shabby.

I decided to upgrade the Noble on Griffon as well. I wasn't satisfied with the lance as he's got bogged down in protracted combats so I decided to go for +1 strength every combat turn rather than +2 on the first. I also decided to give his Griffon Swooping strike as I had some points left over at the end of constructing the list. This essencialy gives the Griffon the strength 6 hits on the charge rather than the Noble. I gave the character the Dragonhelm as I wanted him to have a 2+ save in combat in addition to his 6+ ward and Fireborn.

Core pretty much has remained the same. I just dropped a Silver Helm from the Prince's unit to save a few points.

In special I decided to add in another unit of Shadow Warriors. These guys have worked very well for me so far. Their high BS and Longbows mean they pose a real threat to small chaff units and by hanging back at long range and keeping in cover they've make themselves a lot harder to deal with. If my opponant wants to kill them they he's either shooting at them with a lot of penalties (long range, skirmishing, soft/hard cover) or moving into charge range of other unts from my army. In addition they also scout so I can set them up after I've seen what my opponant is doing.

Rare is remaining the same as well. The Frostheart Phoenix has been fantastic in every game I've used it in and the Eagles are far to useful to drop.

The plan for the list remains fairly much the same. The Frostheart Phoenix and the Noble on Griffon tag team an enemy unit. The Shadow Warriors clear off enemy chaff while the Eagles and the Ellyrion Reavers act as my chaff. Silver Helms look for the opportunity to support the Frostheart/Griffon combo or tag team another enemy unit.

Kahadras

wargame_insomniac
21-08-2013, 12:56
Hi

Have you tried this new list out yet?

Cheers

James

Halbeard
22-08-2013, 19:37
Hi,

Have a terrible winratio with my High Elves so I should probably not tell you what to do, but I used to play a quiet simular build with my Dark Elves back in the 6:ed. I use to have 3 units of 5 dark riders, Cold one knights and a Manticore... It was a very fast army, and I had a lot fun with it.
I really like your concept, but I wonder how you gonna beat all those steadfast troops? I mean even if you flank them they still don't run away. 1A with base streght of 3 is not really a threat. 2+ AS is nice but sooner or later your opponent will kill them or make them flee. I wouldn't expect to much with your lvl 4 archmage either. Doubble 6s (had three in my last battle I took one, with the result of a ended magic phase, dead seaguards and a Arch mage that when he was wanted the most was lost!), bad rolls for winds of magic, and yepp you get 4 spells but you still not get to choose the ones you really want, magic is very unrealible in this edition. That means while the lore attribute is very nice, you can't take it for granted. You almost get 20 spearmen for a unit of Silverhelm. I would have dropped 4 of the silverhelm and put the rest of them in one unit. Then I would have dropped the Griffon, (the griffon itself is in points like a bunker unit of spearmen or seaguard for your mage). I would have dropped the frostheart phoenix to get me a bunch of swordmasters. If you have the points go for 21 and run them 7 wide. I would have dropped the archmage for a lvl2. Use the Silverhelm to flank what the Swordmasters charge. But as I said I have a terrible winratio with my High elves!

Kahadras
22-08-2013, 21:34
The main troop killer in the army is the Griffon and Frostheart Phoenix combo. Both have a massive charge range and bring plenty of strength 5/6 attacks to the party. On top of this they're generating 2 thunderstomps, forcing a fear check every round and are benefiting from the Aura of Cold that the Phoenix projects making it harder for my opponant to wound the weak link in the chain which is the Griffon. Although steadfast units will hold me up; realistically I'll be winning every round of combat and be grinding them down at quite a conciderable rate.

The Silver Helm's main job is to provide mobile cover for the army. While they won't grind down steadfast units they're great for chasing down flanking units, beating up support units or going after enemy artillery. Basically they shouldn't be getting into protracted fights unless it's absolutly nessicery. Basicaly the Griffon/Phoenix kills stuff, the Eagles hold up strong enemy units while the Silver Helms beat up weaker enemy units or go after enemy artillery.

An Archmage is a really important element of a High Elf army IMHO. Although magic can be hit and miss he not only provides buffs and ranged damage but he also helps you counter your opponant magic phase. Throwing that double 6 is always a danger but you can generate a decent ward save (if you don't IF on your first spell) against any damage you may incur. I'm more tempted to put the mage on foot, ditch the Prince and sink points into a large unit of Phoenix Guard with the Banner of Swiftness. This would give me another unit which can put out plenty of damage and can take quite a lot of punnishment. This would make the army look something like this...

Archmage + Dispel scroll and Talisman of protection

Noble + Griffon (Swiftsense and Swooping strike) + Sword of might, Enchanted shield and Dragon armour
Noble BSB + Shield of the merwyrm and Dragon armour

19 Phoenix Guard + FC and Banner of Swiftness
10 Shadow Warriors

Frostheart Phoenix
Eagle
Eagle

Kahadras