PDA

View Full Version : Wheres my mech dammit !

cornonthecob
21-07-2013, 09:20
Question - Why aren't any of the major militaries of today taking advances into mecha territory ?

I know the few factors stopping them are the same old ones, power , height and weight but when you have things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8) all I can think of is 'Why hasn't anyone strapped guns to it yet ?

Lothlanathorian
21-07-2013, 10:05
Because it's completely impractical in every situation.

blackcherry
21-07-2013, 10:45
Pretty much. The idea of giant robot fighting anything, whilst cool, is very impractical and for the research costs and costs to build stuff it would be much easier to just use existing tech.

theunwantedbeing
21-07-2013, 12:31
Question - Why aren't any of the major militaries of today taking advances into mecha territory ?
Fairly sure the American military has a development programme for a powered exosuit.
Although this is geared towards loading and unloading heavy equipment, rather than actual combat as that's where the main use of a powered suit is...although once you get much bigger than that a regular crane is far superior.

I know the few factors stopping them are the same old ones, power , height and weight but when you have things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8) all I can think of is 'Why hasn't anyone strapped guns to it yet ?
That thing looks great to a ten year old, but even with guns it would lose horribly in a firefight with anything because it is so damned slow (that is ignoring all the other factors like armour, weapons and so forth).

There are small tracked robots in development (and perhaps use?) that have a gun strapped to them and can be operated remotely.

nosebiter
21-07-2013, 12:38

Balance, armor weight, power generation, control issues...

Take your pick. The tech just isnt there yet.

scavenseer
21-07-2013, 14:52
Because the advert is a spoof!

Sai-Lauren
21-07-2013, 19:22
Fairly sure the American military has a development programme for a powered exosuit.
Although this is geared towards loading and unloading heavy equipment, rather than actual combat as that's where the main use of a powered suit is...although once you get much bigger than that a regular crane is far superior.

Apparently, after Aliens came out, people approached Caterpillar asking about the power loader, and weren't that happy when they were told it was basically a 15 foot tall puppet.

Although IIRC, if there was a suitable power supply, it would be possible to make one. (And there was a story set in the Aliens'verse that referenced Ripley's fight with the Queen, and pretty much turned one into a Furioso Dreadnought.)

As for combat mechs, basically they're impractial in most terrains (even assuming no one just strings a steel cable between two points to trip them), can't carry similar levels of armour to an equivalently sized tracked armoured vehicle, are slower than such, more costly and bigger targets.

But if the military ever decides that they really, really need them and nothing else will do, then they'll start to be produced. Same as powered armour - if we ever need something that's hardened against NBC conditions, armoured against conventional weapons and sealed against vacumn, then it'll happen.

Mage
21-07-2013, 19:54
... if we ever need something that's hardened against NBC conditions, armoured against conventional weapons and sealed against vacumn, then it'll happen.

What are NBC conditions?

angelismortis
21-07-2013, 20:07
What are NBC conditions?

Nuclear, biological and chemical.

Urgat
21-07-2013, 21:09

Well there was the hardiman, but it didn't really lead anywhere.
As for the reason why there's no mecha, well, yeah, there's yet to be situations where they'd be useful. In complex 3D battlefields (say, massive underground corridors, think of a giant ant hive) where you'd need heavy support, you'd need stuff like that probably as wheels and tracks just wouldn't cut it anymore, but, well, obviously, we've yet to face giant ants :p

El_Machinae
23-07-2013, 17:52
I'll continue to put it out there that I have an ongoing savings account that has a segment earmarked for a mech or an Iron Man suit. Any enterprising warseerite engineers should take note of this easy money.

Electromancer
23-07-2013, 18:12
have you guys seen the vids of that robot dog? that seems really cool, will be used to carry equipment, the vid has people kicking it and it slipping on ice but balances itself. Also seen a vid of a guy in a loader type thing, was moving heavy ammo boxes from a pile onto something and made them look like they weighed nothing, think someone got injured in it though. Havent got time to find/post links at the moment

Not sure if we will ever see anything more than that for a while, if at all. Someone could build a massive mech now but it would cost too much and be less effective than conventional weapons.

El_Machinae
23-07-2013, 20:06
I don't care if it's inefficient! I'm currently stomping sandcastles whilst wearing ski boots as a pale, pale mimic of my inner mechwarrior.

simonr1978
23-07-2013, 20:11

Because (And as a long term Battletech fan, this is almost painful to admit) in almost every conceivable military situation a conventional tracked or wheeled vehicle will be cheaper, more easily deployed, more robust, better protected by its armour, more stable, more easily transportable, easier to train crew for, easier to maintain, repair and train technicians for, harder to hit and be able to deploy on softer ground unless you give it snow-shoe style foot plates. Except for power-armour type suits (And even in this case, unless you need to put a human being inside it, a tracked robot is probably going to be a better military option than a walker), Battlemechs or even AT-AT style military walkers are massively impractical.

They do look cooler though.

de Selby
24-07-2013, 18:29
My prediction:

Power armour is going to happen sooner or later, once that happens someone will inevitably just build a big suit for one reason or another. Just wait.

HK-47
25-07-2013, 01:10
One of the main problems with any walker type machine is the legs, a mechanical leg is way more complex to build and maintain in the field then a track or wheel so in a combat situation if the mech loses even one leg it's screwed. The weight will cause it to fall over and it will be hard to fix in the field. A tank loses a track it just turns into a stationary bunker until it's fix and depending on how bad the damaged can be fixed quite easily in the field.

Gossipmeng
25-07-2013, 15:09
I keep thinking of ASIMO falling down there stairs.....

BigbyWolf
25-07-2013, 16:54
I'll continue to put it out there that I have an ongoing savings account that has a segment earmarked for a mech or an Iron Man suit. Any enterprising warseerite engineers should take note of this easy money.

I can probably build you something, provided you can budget up to 10,000 and are happy with something that resembles cardboard covered in tin-foil...:shifty:

simonr1978
25-07-2013, 18:48
My prediction:

Power armour is going to happen sooner or later, once that happens someone will inevitably just build a big suit for one reason or another. Just wait.

My prediction. Certainly as far as military applications go:

...and once the military concerned weighs up how much that's going to cost compared to a comparable conventional vehicle, that programme will die a very quick death. If we're talking about power armour, then once you get something tall enough that you can't enter a building without taking it off or having to smash a suit sized hole in every wall on the way through, you lose almost every concievable advantage to an armoured vehicle.

"Bigger is better" doesn't always hold true for militaries, afterall no-one's built any battleships since the end of the second world war.

El_Machinae
26-07-2013, 02:41
I can probably build you something, provided you can budget up to 10,000 and are happy with something that resembles cardboard covered in tin-foil...:shifty:

Nope. I'm gonna keep adding to the investment account; it's gonna keep growing. I'm only gonna buy when I actually want what is being offered.

Urgat
26-07-2013, 09:46
My prediction. Certainly as far as military applications go:

...and once the military concerned weighs up how much that's going to cost compared to a comparable conventional vehicle, that programme will die a very quick death.

You mean like the B2, F22 and F35 died? :p If there was a lobby or two behind, even a useless mech would make it through in the US army.

Lothlanathorian
26-07-2013, 10:21
I'd have used the Osprey as my example of 'bad idea funded to completion' :p