PDA

View Full Version : Another Tau release on the horizon...

DoomedDiceThrower
21-07-2013, 13:08
This is via Natfka over at his Faeit 212 blog:

"I have another Tau release rumor coming at tomorrows Faeit's Rumor Tarot. Something looks like its on the horizon......"
-20/7/2013

I'll try to keep this updated for whatever few droplets might come up for now.

(Try to wait with wishlisting for at least the next 24 hours)

+++21/7/2013+++

via an Anonymous Source on Faeit 212
another Tau Supplement is in the works, I believe its true because it lines up with a few other rumours I've heard about the Tau before it was released to the world. Vespid and Kroot HQ choices, and the ability to play a none "Tau" Lists.
My personal comment on this is "meh" and salt overdose. Too early and too vague. I don't really expect more to come from this rumor direction any time soon (if at all) but who knows.

+++24/7/2013+++

"via Stickmonkey on Faeit 212 [/COLOR](slimmed down to essential information)

wasnt planned be out til Q1.

either this or one of the eldar supplements would be the first with a model wave to go along with it. I wasnt told which models or which eldar supplement.

warning: what follows is my speculation
My best guesses are a plastic pack kroot hq, which I saw in design before. This would be a slightly bigger kroot than the current troops. Had a tau rifle, not a kroot gun. A bit more armor than a standard kroot. Standing on a rock in a "crossing the Delaware" pose. Caveat that this was still in CAD, lots can change, and it was last fall.

Also a vespid plastic kit thats been ready for a while.

My eldar guess would be the first round of the plastic aspects with beil-tan.

When the tau dex was released I went back to my sources about the allied races not getting support after seeing so much studio work on them, and this was eventually what I was told."

+++29/7/2013+++

Selective Copy/paste from Faeit 212:

we had a very reliable source kick in and inform us that yes, Tau Mercenaries are in the line up, and that yes, another supplement beyond even that for Tau.

Tau Mercenaries
So what rumors do we have that give us information on what this might mean? Obviously it will focus on Kroot, and possibly Vespid, giving us HQ options, wargear, new army rules. There is a good chance that we will see Tau Mercenaries in 2014, could it bring a new model or two?

This will be a big release for the Hobby, as a kroot codex is something highly desired by a good section of our hobby.

Recent Whispers
My best guesses are a plastic pack kroot hq, which I saw in design before. This would be a slightly bigger kroot than the current troops. Had a tau rifle, not a kroot gun. A bit more armor than a standard kroot. Standing on a rock in a "crossing the Delaware" pose. Caveat that this was still in CAD, lots can change, and it was last fall.

Some old Past Whispers
1. Kroot HQ is in the works!

2. Kroot to get own transport

3. Kroot will get light armor saves (6+)

4. Kroot shaper will allow for the unit to have a special genetic trait.

5. Vespids reworked and getting a Heavy unit

Some Older and Speculative Whispers
Vespids get two slots (unknown if this is an additional two, or two overall). Kroot get an additional unit

No Knarloc riders,though perhaps something big (new WFB monster-szied) for the Kroot

minor psychic powers for Shapers or Shaper like character

Tau Expanded Empire
Now this supplement is intriguing because I do not know where it is going. Could it actually include the Demiurg? Human Conscripts? or is it just another part of the Empire and will be Tau centric. This one is still so far out, and unknown that really speculation is all we have beyond a temporary title that we can use for reference. Tau Expanded Empire.

Worldeaters
21-07-2013, 13:15
What else is there to release? Only thing I can think of would be a new crisis suit kit being released at the same time as the physical farsight release in October which would be hilarious for all the bandwagon jumpers who loaded up on the existing suits with the digital release.
But isn't October a new boxed set release month?

dangerboyjim
21-07-2013, 20:11
Kroot Hounds and Shaper are still metal, maybe a plastic kroot box? Seems unlikely. Could go to Finecast I suppose. (who cares?)

Alien allies in the Tau Empire were a bit underwhelming, but a whole supplement on them?

To make non-Tau lists you'd need a load of stuff to make it workable, intrigued, but doubtful so far...

Shadeseraph
21-07-2013, 20:41
Kroot Hounds and Shaper are still metal, maybe a plastic kroot box? Seems unlikely. Could go to Finecast I suppose. (who cares?)

Alien allies in the Tau Empire were a bit underwhelming, but a whole supplement on them?

To make non-Tau lists you'd need a load of stuff to make it workable, intrigued, but doubtful so far...

Weeeeell... Maybe at the 500 pts range you could have something. A bit more if you consider drones as "non-tau".

neko
21-07-2013, 20:51
What else is there to release? Only thing I can think of would be a new crisis suit kit being released at the same time as the physical farsight release in October which would be hilarious for all the bandwagon jumpers who loaded up on the existing suits with the digital release.
But isn't October a new boxed set release month?
Why would it matter if there's any models left to release? We've seen nothing to suggest that supplement releases will be tied to a model release.

Tokamak
21-07-2013, 20:59
My wallet is squirming.

ForgottenLore
21-07-2013, 20:59
I would like to point out that the Farsight book says "Note that you can only use the options from one codex supplement when choosing your army". That all but says outright that they intend for there to be multiple supplements for some codexes.

Myself, I think an auxiliaries supplement would be awesome, but we'll see.

Worldeaters
21-07-2013, 21:03
Why would it matter if there's any models left to release? We've seen nothing to suggest that supplement releases will be tied to a model release.

I know, my response was to the naftka rumour about another tau release separate to the farsight enclave release. it would be safer to assume it would (if correct) be more likely to be a miniature release rumour than a book release rumour.

MajorWesJanson
21-07-2013, 21:06
A Kroot Supplement for Tau seems like a logical idea. People have wanted Kroot mercs for a while now, and Tau sales were far better than expected.
I doubt new models, other than possible metal to finecast, but rules take less time, especially in a supplement where the rules are 2-4 pages.
Will Anghor Prok come back?

The bearded one
21-07-2013, 22:03
Wasn't there a fuzzy picture of a new kroot shaper with his weapon raised above his head (ready to strike) when the new Tau codex came out? I could swear I remember a fuzzy picture..

TimLeeson
21-07-2013, 22:13
A kroot expansion is something a lot of people have wanted, just like Farsight enclaves - so it doesnt sound unbelievable to me. As others said, it would also give them a chance to put some of their other units into plastic (assuming it will even have any model releases). Hope this one is true.

Killgore
21-07-2013, 22:15
GW giving the people what they want? Good times indeed :D

S_A_T_S
21-07-2013, 22:39
Kroot list? I would actually buy that, and it would be my only 6th ed purchase to date. Wife has a reasonable collection of kroot waiting to be built/painted, and I'm getting fed up of her forgeworld great and riding gnarlocs sitting on her painting station for more than 2 years. I'd assume gnarlocs would have to be in the book, but how likely is it that GW would take Forgeworld products and make them legit 40k? They've only done it with Apocalypse units like the Baneblade so far, and if they don't include gnarlocs in a kroot supplement, I'm not sure quite how successful it would be.

MajorWesJanson
21-07-2013, 23:01
Kroot list? I would actually buy that, and it would be my only 6th ed purchase to date. Wife has a reasonable collection of kroot waiting to be built/painted, and I'm getting fed up of her forgeworld great and riding gnarlocs sitting on her painting station for more than 2 years. I'd assume gnarlocs would have to be in the book, but how likely is it that GW would take Forgeworld products and make them legit 40k? They've only done it with Apocalypse units like the Baneblade so far, and if they don't include gnarlocs in a kroot supplement, I'm not sure quite how successful it would be.

doubtful, really. So far the supplements have added FOC changes, psychic powers and signiture/relic wargear changes, warlord traits, and special characters made up using the generic characters and wargear as a base. It's possible that later we may see new units and models for supplements, but unlikely.

Killgore
21-07-2013, 23:23
doubtful, really. So far the supplements have added FOC changes, psychic powers and signiture/relic wargear changes, warlord traits, and special characters made up using the generic characters and wargear as a base. It's possible that later we may see new units and models for supplements, but unlikely.

Why unlikely?

People wern't expecting the number of significant changes that the Farsight suppliment had. Why would GW limit themselves? Way I see it these supplements could include pretty much anything.

infamousme
21-07-2013, 23:41
I just have to say that I am really liking these rapid releases. Something new every month is nice.
A Kroot supplement would be very awesome, I have so many of the bastards.

ehlijen
22-07-2013, 02:00
While I don't think new Kroot or Vespid units are likely to be in this supplement, I think there is a non-neglibgle chance there will be at least new units made up of existing models. Ie 5 Kroot +3-5 oxen as HS? 5-10 shapers as an elites unit?

Probably not, though.

Hokiecow
22-07-2013, 03:39
I see the Kroot supplement coming out once models start getting released in conjunction with the supplements. This probably won't happen unit the first set of "no brainer" codex are released for the current 6th Ed codecies. Supplements that can be made with out new models.

We've heard rumors that GW doesn't want players to have to wait years to get some attention for their armies. Give them a new model or two every year or so with a supplement to reinvigorate there army.

Maybe this is were we'll see the Kroot MC and Sharper HQ that was rumored during play testing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Rogue Star
22-07-2013, 05:01
So now there is a Black Legion supplement, a Black Templars supplement, White Scars and finally Tau Allies supplements to come, in addition to the new game instead of Bloodbowl?

Sorry, some of these are made up. We know the next 40K Codex/army update, is Space Marines, followed by Orks, with the next being either Imperial Guard or Tyranids, then the other.

duffybear1988
22-07-2013, 07:59
So now there is a Black Legion supplement, a Black Templars supplement, White Scars and finally Tau Allies supplements to come, in addition to the new game instead of Bloodbowl?

Sorry, some of these are made up. We know the next 40K Codex/army update, is Space Marines, followed by Orks, with the next being either Imperial Guard or Tyranids, then the other.

This.

I find it a tad annoying that GW are supposedly pumping out supplements left, right and centre when there are still basic codexes that desperately need updating. How much longer are SoB going to have to wait?!

neko
22-07-2013, 08:09
I find it a tad annoying that GW are supposedly pumping out supplements left, right and centre when there are still basic codexes that desperately need updating. How much longer are SoB going to have to wait?!
Don't worry, the 'nids will get onto them soon enough...

Seriously though, the supplements appear to be releases alongside the main schedule, so stopping them wouldn't get you the other codexes any sooner anyway. Even if they did free up the author manpower from the supplements, the bottleneck for codex releases seems to be more to do with how many models get released alongside the codex.
This may not even be a function of how fact they can get the models released either, but acknowledgement that if they release too many different models at once people who would otherwise buy more models just wouldn't be able to afford to.

ehlijen
22-07-2013, 08:38
This.

We've had 4 codices in half a year and no end in sight for this new accelerated pace. When they're releasing codices at the fastest rate we've had in a decade despite these supplements is not the time to complain that the supplements are taking away developer time.

BigBarryJazz
22-07-2013, 08:50
Is something apocalypse related like a super-heavy, or tau-centric warzone, a possibility?

Polaria
22-07-2013, 09:22

This.

Supplements don't really affect the Codex release schedule because the Codices get released with models. Ever since Chapterhouse and other independents basically forced GW into "one-wave release" -style the Codex releases have been dependent on how fast designers can turn model concepts into actual molds and how fast the factory can produce the miniatures that have to be released with the Codex. As it it, the GW already has trouble producing models as fast as current Codex release schedule is working as evident by the problems they've had with filling pre-orders.

The writers (who do the supplements) have nothing to do with miniature production and can't really speed it up so rather than keep the writers sitting out and doing nothing in the office the GW is trying to get some money out of them by selling supplements. The only thing that would speed up codex releases at this point would be to invest into more factory space and equipment and I'm not sure GW has the capital to do that.

nosebiter
22-07-2013, 09:35
This.

Untill the emperor walks off the golden throne ;-)

dokfm
22-07-2013, 09:36

Right, White Scars will come alongside Space Marines and Black Legion will come along whenever (maybe alongside some Hobbit stuff at the end of the year or something). They're both simple enough that I don't think they need that much work. Everybody expected a boxed game around October anyway, so I don't see how that's a problem. I've only heard natfka's rumours of a full Black Templars codex, so I don't know where "Black Templars supplement" is coming from; if it is a full codex, it won't be till next year anyway. Plus supplements will be released alongside other armies, so (for instance) the rumored Ultramarines supplement is said to be coming alongside Tyranids.

The Tau Allies supplement could well be made up, but given they seem to be planning on introducing more divergence in the supplements, I could see those kind of changes. In any case, though, I don't think we'll see it for quite a while; on that, you're probably right: the schedule is far too packed for another supplement by the end of the year.

my_name_is_tudor
22-07-2013, 12:21
I really don't think we can establish a pattern to what Supplements will and won't do with only two released.

Many people said that Farsight Enclaves wouldn't mess with the FOC because Iyanden didn't, and look what happened there.

For off-topic example I would be amazed if a Saim Hann Supplement wasn't timed to coincide with the release of new plastic jetbikes.

I agree that for now releases are most likely to coincide with Codex releases. But I wouldn't rule anything out.

Edit: Supplements could be GW's answer to adding new Codexes (for now) with the benefit that someone who wants to play the new lists has to pay for two books.

That said if GW did release new Kroot units I would be surprised if they didn't also make it into the Tau Empire Codex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MiyamatoMusashi
22-07-2013, 17:50
It's suspicious timing. Right after people notice that the Farsight book explicitly allows for multiple supplements for one Codex... rumours appear about multiple supplements for one Codex.

Is that because someone's learned there is a Kroot supplement for the Tau Codex planned and the timing is coincidence; or because people noticed the possibility, discussed it, and before you know it's turned into a rumour? Too early to say, but my betting is on rumour reverb, for now.

Personally... I quite liked the Farsight supplement... but a Codex and two supplements is 90 RRP (less from discount sites and/or as ebooks, but still a lot)... yeesh. Still, that's for another thread, right?

Inquisitor Kallus
22-07-2013, 19:52
This.

Waaaah, I want my army! :eyebrows:

Seriously, it may take a little while, 6th ed is fairly new. DE players had to wait almost a decade for a new dex. Its great GW are creating alternate lists for dexes with extra background, everyones time will come, just be patient.

Charistoph
22-07-2013, 20:29

Actually, Templars was a codex, not a supplement, I believe, but still after Orks, if the rumor's timing pans out. But I've heard that 'Nids were first codex in 2014, too, so *shrug*.

dokfm
22-07-2013, 20:43
Actually, Templars was a codex, not a supplement, I believe, but still after Orks, if the rumor's timing pans out. But I've heard that 'Nids were first codex in 2014, too, so *shrug*.
I think the suspected release list, as it were, is Space Marines (October), 'Nids (beginning of next year, likely January), then a toss-up of Imperial Guard and Orks, and then, maybe, Black Templars, but that'll take until at least mid-2014.

MajorWesJanson
22-07-2013, 22:37
Why unlikely?

People wern't expecting the number of significant changes that the Farsight suppliment had. Why would GW limit themselves? Way I see it these supplements could include pretty much anything.

Mainly because GW supplements seem designed to sell GW models, not to induct FW models into the main game (that is half the purpose of Apocalypse, the other half is to get people to buy more models)

It's suspicious timing. Right after people notice that the Farsight book explicitly allows for multiple supplements for one Codex... rumours appear about multiple supplements for one Codex.

Didn't the Iyanden supplement also mention that you could only choose from one supplement?

Calcabrina
23-07-2013, 03:13

Is that because someone's learned there is a Kroot supplement for the Tau Codex planned and the timing is coincidence; or because people noticed the possibility, discussed it, and before you know it's turned into a rumour? Too early to say, but my betting is on rumour reverb, for now.

Personally... I quite liked the Farsight supplement... but a Codex and two supplements is 90 RRP (less from discount sites and/or as ebooks, but still a lot)... yeesh. Still, that's for another thread, right?
The Iyanden supplement already stipulated that you were limited to one supplement per army. Seemingly suggesting that multiple supplements for the same army were to be expected.

Considering all the "GW are being cheapskates with the rules, they took out two pages and charged us double monies!!11!" arguments, I think a second supplement for an army that already has one is necessary to definitively show that these are variant armies that you have to weigh the pros and cons of using (and only get to choose one of), not a money-fueled no-brainer codex powerup. When you must decide between powered up kroot, troop choice crisis suits, or the base codex's signature systems, the supplements will be viewed a bit differently I think.

Rogue Star
23-07-2013, 05:50

I think the suspected release list, as it were, is Space Marines (October), 'Nids (beginning of next year, likely January), then a toss-up of Imperial Guard and Orks, and then, maybe, Black Templars, but that'll take until at least mid-2014.

The most reliable rumour source we have, pointed out that after Dark Angels, it would be the Tau Empire, Eldar, Space Marines, Orks, then either Imperial Guard, or Tyranids, then the other. Given the poster's track record, and the fact he was dead on the money about the Tau and Eldar (even describing the 'giant suit' Riptide and that Eldar would get Wraithguard, a close combat version, and their own giant Wraith unit), I see no reason to believe Tyranids will magically move forwards, or the Black Templars will show, unless they are a supplement for Space Marines, in the codex, or their were the 'marines' mentioned.

Charistoph
23-07-2013, 05:59
The most reliable rumour source we have, pointed out that after Dark Angels, it would be the Tau Empire, Eldar, Space Marines, Orks, then either Imperial Guard, or Tyranids, then the other. Given the poster's track record, and the fact he was dead on the money about the Tau and Eldar (even describing the 'giant suit' Riptide and that Eldar would get Wraithguard, a close combat version, and their own giant Wraith unit), I see no reason to believe Tyranids will magically move forwards, or the Black Templars will show, unless they are a supplement for Space Marines, in the codex, or their were the 'marines' mentioned.

True, but it was more to the fact that the person I quote referred to the Templar rumor as a supplement when what rumor we have stated a codex. I added the rest more for the veracity of rumors in general rather than intending any slight.

I do believe the Templars will show as a full codex, but probably closer to end of summer next year than Dec/Jan the rumor specified.

MiyamatoMusashi
23-07-2013, 06:28
I do believe the Templars will show as a full codex, but probably closer to end of summer next year than Dec/Jan the rumor specified.

For clarifiction, is that belief based on hope/speculation, or on a source of rumour?

Natura
23-07-2013, 06:55

GW doesn't seem to want to release rules without a model to go with it. Look at the Tau Codex; the only new stuff in it has models. Despite the fact the numerous new alien races were mentioned in the Codex, we got no rules for any of them. Why? I strongly suspect this is to do with the Chapterhouse saga, but regardless of the cause, the fact would seem to be that if there isn't a model for it, GW isn't going to give us rules. Would a Kroot/Vespid/Alien Allies supplement require new models? Hard to say. If it does anything other than allowing Vespid Strain Leaders and Kroot Shapers as HQ, and Vespids as troops, then I'd have to say yes.

neko
23-07-2013, 07:13
GW doesn't seem to want to release rules without a model to go with it. Look at the Tau Codex; the only new stuff in it has models. Despite the fact the numerous new alien races were mentioned in the Codex, we got no rules for any of them. Why? I strongly suspect this is to do with the Chapterhouse saga, but regardless of the cause, the fact would seem to be that if there isn't a model for it, GW isn't going to give us rules. Would a Kroot/Vespid/Alien Allies supplement require new models? Hard to say. If it does anything other than allowing Vespid Strain Leaders and Kroot Shapers as HQ, and Vespids as troops, then I'd have to say yes.
Agreed that GW won't release rules that require new models unless they're also releasing the new models, but that was not the point I was replying to. That fact that there are no models outstanding for release for a codex does not diminish the chances for that codex to get a supplement.

wighti
23-07-2013, 07:19
This.

And for one thing, the normal test cycle for a full blown codex is something completely different than what these supplements get I'd imagine. Hell, I'm not even absolutely sure they even get playtesting.

stevegill
23-07-2013, 10:17

There is a very high probability that we will get a full restart for the sisters. Not just a new codex, possibly a whole new look. Every time the sisters have come up in a question and answer session GW points out that they are having issues with the models, they can't duplicate the current range in plastic.

If we are having a full restart then we will need to wait until there is a very large gap in the model release schedule, especially if the CH etc. shenanigans means that GW have to release the whole range in one wave.

Personally I like where GW are going with the supplements, they give greater depth and variety but are optional.

Charistoph
23-07-2013, 13:37
For clarifiction, is that belief based on hope/speculation, or on a source of rumour?

For the codex portion, statements reported by people who went the recent conference, as well as previous announcements made by staff who matter.

For the timing, that's more speculation. Orks and Templars are the last of the 4th Edition codices, and Sisters have been languishing for a long time. That having been said, as was said above, more reliable rumormongers have stated that the timing wouldn't allow them to be released in Q4 this year or Q1 next year with even Q2 unlikely, unless their whole routine takes a nose dive.

DoomedDiceThrower
23-07-2013, 22:31
I'm just copy and pasting, don't mind me being lazy please ;)

"via Stickmonkey on Faeit 212
I have a little more on the Tau mercs supplement.

First, I was told this wasnt planned be out til Q1.

Second, I was told that either this or one of the eldar supplements would be the first with a model wave to go along with it. I wasnt told which models or which eldar supplement.

warning: what follows is my speculation

My eldar guess would be the first round of the plastic aspects with beil-tan.

When the tau dex was released I went back to my sources about the allied races not getting support after seeing so much studio work on them, and this was eventually what I was told.
"

DoctorTom
24-07-2013, 14:40
That actually makes sense. They're busy dropping new armies this year, and we know at some point they're going to run out of army codexes to update along with new models (though I imagine Sisters will still languish for a while), so at some time they reach the point that they'll put out models without a codex and will most likely put out a supplement tied in witht he models to help push the sales of the models. It looks like they've decided that 1st quarter next year will be that point. If it's Tau, the Kroot supplement makes sense. If it's Eldar, it could be Saim Hann with jetbike releases (I suspect this is the most likely choice for the next Eldar release), or they go plastic with some Aspects and put out Biel Tan. Given that either Tau or Eldar will be the first with a model wave, it wouldn't be surprising to see the other one second or third with a model wave next year (it might be third if they decide to do something for Imperials in between).

Avian
24-07-2013, 16:27
Stickmonkey has no history of being correct when it comes to rumours.

dangerboyjim
24-07-2013, 22:39
'Tau Mercs Supplement'

Hmmm, Vespid aren't mercs, they are fully fledged members of the Tau Empire. So for them to appear in a mercs supplement would be odd. Tallerian dog soldiers would make it in..

Could just be a nickname that's stuck, so maybe nothing to read into it.

But, I can't see models getting released that aren't included in a codex, the market would be too small, so I would get my hopes up about anything non-kroot or Vespid getting released. And I can't see Vespid and Kroot together packing out a whole supplement.

I remain doubtful...

neko
25-07-2013, 02:24
I could see kroot packing out a supplement all on their own, so kroot and vespid together shouldn't have a problem.
It's not as if these things contain masses of rules...

VanHel
25-07-2013, 03:10
A Kroot supplement would get me to actually play Tau. I really like Kroot, but don't like the Tau themselves.

MajorWesJanson
25-07-2013, 05:23
Kroot Mercenaries is a bit more iconic of a name than Tau Auxiliary Races for a book.

That said, the Auxiliaries are the weak point in the Tau range so far. Krootox and Hounds are still metal/finecast, and so are Vespids. An a Kroot Shaper seems like an ideal candidate for a mini-sprue plastic kit.
Depending on how far GW goes with supplements (Farsight gave us FOC changes and named ICs that were just made out of the generic HQ options with wargear), it's possible that later supplements could be used to introduce new models/units entirely. Dual/Kits for something like Vespids (say a new close combat swarm version) would do interesting things for sales- plastic models that can be used in the normal Tau codex, and promote the supplement for rules for the new variant, as an example. It would also let GW add new units in more often, without putting the rules in White Dwarf.

Archibald_TK
25-07-2013, 05:31
Stickmonkey has no history of being correct when it comes to rumours.
When the majority of a rumourmonger accuracy comes from logical guesses (there will be new special characters, new finecast models, a new flyer, old iconic metal model transitioning to plastic as typical examples), while his real rumours are either false or confirmation of what another more reliable rumourmonger said before him, it's a pretty good warning sign.

dangerboyjim
25-07-2013, 19:50
I could see kroot packing out a supplement all on their own, so kroot and vespid together shouldn't have a problem.
It's not as if these things contain masses of rules...

A whole supplement? For one codex entry?

Admittedly there's Gnarlocs and Kroot hawks and the whole kroot mercs list of old to put in the background, but I just can't see it. Have they even got enough Kroot artwork to illustrate it?

Calcabrina
26-07-2013, 00:05

Admittedly there's Gnarlocs and Kroot hawks and the whole kroot mercs list of old to put in the background, but I just can't see it. Have they even got enough Kroot artwork to illustrate it?
There's actually quite a lot of official kroot art. The studio kroot were also repainted with sept-color warpaint in the new Tau book. Considering most of the variant kroot in the merc list were either meant to just use the kroot kit, or different ratios of existing krootforms; I see a kroot merc supplement as one of the safest experiments in adding entirely new unit entries in an add-on. Release a master shaper and finecast vulture kindred upgrade kit and you've given players all they need. Maybe finecast kroot eviscerators too, if they decide to bring that back.

MajorWesJanson
26-07-2013, 01:31

A single codex entry? for an entire Mercenary race with dozens of sub-forms?

dangerboyjim
26-07-2013, 20:15
A single codex entry? for an entire Mercenary race with dozens of sub-forms?

Is exactly how it appears in the Tau Empire codex.

neko
27-07-2013, 01:21
It would be ridiculously easy to expand on that single codex entry:
- X-Z Kroot Hounds can be taken as a Fast Attack choice.
- X-Z Krootoxen can be taken as a Heavy Support choice.
- A Kroot Carnivore squad can be taken as an Elites choice. If a Kroot Carnivore squad is taken as an Elites choice, it must choose an option from the Evolutions List.
- Supply an Evolutions List of options such as "Winged Kroot: The Kroot now counts as Jump Infantry. +X pts/model"
- Create a unit entry for a Master Shaper as a HQ choice.
- Obligatory other bits such as a new Warlord table and new wargear.
- Place some limits on how many non-Kroot units can be taken in the army.

Flesh out the above, and you should easily be able to fill up as many pages of rules as we've already seen in other supplements whilst also still allowing an interesting enough force. There wouldn't even be any real need to release any extra models despite expanding the number of options open to the Kroot, as the new units all use existing models. The only unit which GW doesn't supply models for as is would be the Evolved Kroot, but this would be a unit whereby the basic Kroot are supplied, and the hobbyist would be able to make their own changes to represent the various evolutions.

So yes, basing a supplement on a species group that is limited to a single entry in the parent codex would be an easily doable option.

Captain Ventris
27-07-2013, 12:20
Sorry Tau players, but I'm desperately hoping for the Eldar option and that its Saim Hann with the new Jet Bikes that Jes said were ready for production but skipped over in liu of the Wraith knight.... I NEED new jetbikes as I refuse to buy the 1993 models....

MajorWesJanson
27-07-2013, 12:34
Sorry Tau players, but I'm desperately hoping for the Eldar option and that its Saim Hann with the new Jet Bikes that Jes said were ready for production but skipped over in liu of the Wraith knight.... I NEED new jetbikes as I refuse to buy the 1993 models....

Do your jetbikes break at the ankles and are they incapable of bending at the knees and elbows? Eldar aren't the only race that could use some updated models for certain units.

dangerboyjim
27-07-2013, 14:05
It would be ridiculously easy to expand on that single codex entry:
- X-Z Kroot Hounds can be taken as a Fast Attack choice.
- X-Z Krootoxen can be taken as a Heavy Support choice.
- A Kroot Carnivore squad can be taken as an Elites choice. If a Kroot Carnivore squad is taken as an Elites choice, it must choose an option from the Evolutions List.
- Supply an Evolutions List of options such as "Winged Kroot: The Kroot now counts as Jump Infantry. +X pts/model"
- Create a unit entry for a Master Shaper as a HQ choice.
- Obligatory other bits such as a new Warlord table and new wargear.
- Place some limits on how many non-Kroot units can be taken in the army.

Flesh out the above, and you should easily be able to fill up as many pages of rules as we've already seen in other supplements whilst also still allowing an interesting enough force. There wouldn't even be any real need to release any extra models despite expanding the number of options open to the Kroot, as the new units all use existing models. The only unit which GW doesn't supply models for as is would be the Evolved Kroot, but this would be a unit whereby the basic Kroot are supplied, and the hobbyist would be able to make their own changes to represent the various evolutions.

So yes, basing a supplement on a species group that is limited to a single entry in the parent codex would be an easily doable option.

I hope you're right because all that sounds great, but what you're talking about isn't so much a supplement, as a codex.

There's whole new units there, some of them not supported by the model range and it would mean this supplement works very differently to previous supplements with a lot more rules than we've seen previously. Not that it couldn't, I for one would love to see the old Kroot Mercs list make a come back.

But I still don't think it's likely, as much as I hope you are right.

neko
27-07-2013, 17:23
I hope you're right because all that sounds great, but what you're talking about isn't so much a supplement, as a codex.

There's whole new units there, some of them not supported by the model range and it would mean this supplement works very differently to previous supplements with a lot more rules than we've seen previously. Not that it couldn't, I for one would love to see the old Kroot Mercs list make a come back.

But I still don't think it's likely, as much as I hope you are right.
You would only need 3 or 4 pages to flesh out the rules I gave, which is very much a supplement and not a codex. For all units except the HQ, you can refer to p.52 of the codex for the model rules, and if you're careful you could well fit the new army list entries onto a single page. Whilst it would be a slightly more expansive supplement than the 2 examples we've seen to date, it would still be well within the realms of the rumour that stated that supplements are being released with the least expansive supplements first.

Regarding models: the HQ would use a Shaper model, the FA would use Kroot Hound models, and the HS would use Krootox models. The only option for which there wouldn't technically be models would be the elite Kroot, and for those it would be easy enough to say "Use your Kroot, and model them in such a way to represent the flight/+1 strength/etc". Considering that supplements aren't as "core" as codexes, I could well see GW being more willing to encourage the hobbyist to use conversions for such a supplement. Alternatively, they could just stick to evolutions that would not show any blatent differences to the models (meaning that wings would be out, but +1S would be in).

To sum up, it would be no less likely than any other idea for a supplement, especially considering that we know so little about any general pattern that the supplements will follow.

The Dude
28-07-2013, 09:16
Let's just ease up on what COULD be done and concentrate on what is rumored to be happening.

The Dude
The Warseer Inquisition

DoomedDiceThrower
31-07-2013, 07:51
Selective Copy/paste from Faeit 212:

>>> [...]we had a very reliable source kick in and inform us that yes, Tau Mercenaries are in the line up, and that yes, another supplement beyond even that for Tau.

Tau Mercenaries
So what rumors do we have that give us information on what this might mean? Obviously it will focus on Kroot, and possibly Vespid, giving us HQ options, wargear, new army rules. There is a good chance that we will see Tau Mercenaries in 2014, could it bring a new model or two?

This will be a big release for the Hobby, as a kroot codex is something highly desired by a good section of our hobby.

Recent Whispers

Some old Past Whispers
1. Kroot HQ is in the works!

2. Kroot to get own transport

3. Kroot will get light armor saves (6+)

4. Kroot shaper will allow for the unit to have a special genetic trait.

5. Vespids reworked and getting a Heavy unit

Some Older and Speculative Whispers
Vespids get two slots (unknown if this is an additional two, or two overall). Kroot get an additional unit

No Knarloc riders,though perhaps something big (new WFB monster-szied) for the Kroot

minor psychic powers for Shapers or Shaper like character

Tau Expanded Empire
Now this supplement is intriguing because I do not know where it is going. Could it actually include the Demiurg? Human Conscripts? or is it just another part of the Empire and will be Tau centric. This one is still so far out, and unknown that really speculation is all we have beyond a temporary title that we can use for reference. Tau Expanded Empire.

dangerboyjim
31-07-2013, 08:30
Still sounds like wishlisting to me...

New model range unlocked by 30 supplement, even if half Tau players buy it, the potential market for the model range is only half the Tau players.

Might make more sense if it was available to all players, but then Vespid inclusion wouldn't make sense...

Avian
31-07-2013, 08:49
If Kroot and Vespid were so popular and GW had such high hopes for them, they would have gotten more stuff in C: TE to begin with.

MajorWesJanson
31-07-2013, 09:55
If Kroot and Vespid were so popular and GW had such high hopes for them, they would have gotten more stuff in C: TE to begin with.

Or it's a case of converting over a bunch of metal and finecast models (Kroot shapers, hounds, krootoxen, vespid) into plastic, and using a supplement to help boost sales by focusing on those units.

Archibald_TK
31-07-2013, 12:31
Or it's a case of converting over a bunch of metal and finecast models (Kroot shapers, hounds, krootoxen, vespid) into plastic, and using a supplement to help boost sales by focusing on those units.
When I complained that the Kroots were removed from the list of boxes we could order at the shop, despite the success of the new range and the Tau only having two troop choices, I got a "I understand, but anyway you must also understand that Kroots are far from being what we sell the most in that range" from my GW rep.

There is no reason for GW to take the risk of focusing on unpopular allied races that are not even available in stores and add even more models to them instead of continuing to produce models for the more popular big robots/anime looking Tau. That whole thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth and reminds me of the era when we were plagued with an overload of false rumours. The rise of the digital supplements acted as a catalyst to plunge us back into these times.

my_name_is_tudor
31-07-2013, 13:32

We know that GW aren't adding new units without new kits to match, and that they're only releasing 3 or 4 plastic kits per release.

That means that even if additional new units were planned/in progress/ready for Tau they wouldn't get Codex entries unless they were ready for release and also considered one of the 3 or 4 'best' releases.

I think when 40K 6th Ed gets into its second-waves GW will keep up the trend of adding new units. The waves won't be limited to plastic versions of existing kits.

MajorWesJanson
01-08-2013, 03:09
When I complained that the Kroots were removed from the list of boxes we could order at the shop, despite the success of the new range and the Tau only having two troop choices, I got a "I understand, but anyway you must also understand that Kroots are far from being what we sell the most in that range" from my GW rep.

There is no reason for GW to take the risk of focusing on unpopular allied races that are not even available in stores and add even more models to them instead of continuing to produce models for the more popular big robots/anime looking Tau. That whole thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth and reminds me of the era when we were plagued with an overload of false rumours. The rise of the digital supplements acted as a catalyst to plunge us back into these times.

Wasn't trying to start any rumors, just pointing out that GW has been shifting over to all plastic rather quickly, and a potential Kroot supplement would be logical if they were shifting the Kroot/Vespid kits to plastic. Better to sell kits with a book or rules to help build interest than just toss them out there unsupported.

Calcabrina
01-08-2013, 07:31
Before the Iyanden book came out, most thought there wouldn't be variant army rules. Before the Farsight book came out, the general consensus was that supplements wouldn't change the FOC, add new characters, or remove existing choices.

We've been told that the supplements are only going to get more intense with their alterations as time goes on. A kroot mercenaries book can be done with nothing more than miniatures that already exist and are usable in the standard codex. It sounds like a great opportunity to release a second wave of plastic miniatures that could be usable for the either book, especially since kroot saw a surge in recent popularity with their new focus as snipers in the tau book.

shaso_iceborn
01-08-2013, 17:10
Hmm, could this be the supplement I was told was going to be in the codex??? It seems to match what I was told way back when.

Hokiecow
01-08-2013, 20:08
Hmm, could this be the supplement I was told was going to be in the codex??? It seems to match what I was told way back when.

What was it you were told way back when?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Avian
01-08-2013, 20:26
You can read about it here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/448304.page

shaso_iceborn - Total rumors: (10 TRUE) / (21 FALSE) / (1 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

thrawn
01-08-2013, 21:00
i seriously doubt this rumour.

Brotheroracle
01-08-2013, 21:34
While I don't doubt that Tau could one day get another supplement, I doubt it is any time within the next 6 months. I mean there is the rumored Black Legion and White Scars books that are on the radar and I would imagine that Orks or what ever codex is after SM would also have a shot at getting a extra book before Tau got another one.

Calcabrina
02-08-2013, 03:29
Credit goes to you for being the first to suggest that add-on codex supplements would be a thing. In particular that an auxiliaries book was coming, which if released will see The Bird eating crow.

I get the notion that a lot of previously thought false rumors are going to find themselves retroactively validated by supplement releases. That's my hope at least.

stevegill
02-08-2013, 10:42
Credit goes to you for being the first to suggest that add-on codex supplements would be a thing. In particular that an auxiliaries book was coming, which if released will see The Bird eating crow.

I get the notion that a lot of previously thought false rumors are going to find themselves retroactively validated by supplement releases. That's my hope at least.

The big one is the fake release list - will it tie in to supplement releases?

Danny76
02-08-2013, 12:40
They could easily release a few 40k boxes alongside each fantasy release (and vice versa if we get the fantasy supplements).
It wouldn't fill out the schedule. It would be just like the supplements are doing now, just a side release, just happens to be some models there too..

MiyamatoMusashi
02-08-2013, 18:17

Oh, no, not this again.

You only "know" anything about Tau (clearly your favourite army, judging by your name), then most of it is proved untrue anyway.

Avian's already listed your rumour record - and most of the "TRUE" rumours you supplied us with include things like "Demiurg will be in the Codex / Demiurg won't be in the Codex" (when you claim both possibilities as a rumour, it's not surprised that one comes true), and "Tau will be out in early 2012 / summer 2012 / late 2012 / March 2013" (keep guessing and you'll inevitably be right eventually).

I don't know why you feel the need to do this, but I wish you wouldn't. It just obscures what might really be happening.