PDA

View Full Version : Proxies

Retrospectus
24-07-2013, 19:50
After reading a discussion about proxy armies and how cool people were with them, I wanted to start a thread to collect everyone's best and worst proxy stories,

So everything from the most awesome conversions and funny counts-as ideas to the laziest "put bottlecaps on the table for space marines" and "oh that thing I said was a melta is actually a plasma gun now" cheaters

HammerofThunor
24-07-2013, 19:59
When I was a kid we decided to play a big game of WFB using paper cut out into units with each model marked on. Cross off the guys when they die. Cut out another if they reform. It worked fine. We ended not buying any more models and playing most of our games like that. That might be why I'm mainly interested in painting and modelling now.

Theocracity
24-07-2013, 20:03
When me and my friends were starting out, before we had enough constructed models to fill out our games, we'd use proxies - the most famous of which was a cut-out rectangle of notebook paper with the words "Rhino! VROOM VROOM" written on it ;).

Now that we have the models we dot use those anymore, and our proxies have turned into nice conversions - for example, the neatly kitbashed Chaos Knights / Possessed that are used as bikers.

Gutlord Grom
24-07-2013, 20:12
A Rhino made out of folded and cut Magic cards. It wasn't pretty, but it was essentially Rhino shaped.

Calcabrina
24-07-2013, 20:17
I've made some pretty outlandish proxies before; like somewhat convincing cardboard land raiders and a soul grinder made entirely out of sprue.

As for counts-as, I have a decently sized kroot mercenary army with converted kroot-based stand-ins for tau units. The crisis suits are converted cold one knarlocs with magnetized weapon rigs, and the broadsides are forgeworld knarloc riders with similar gear.

Mandragola
24-07-2013, 20:50
A banana balanced on a mug, proxied for a night scythe, was pretty epic. A friend of mine used flower pots to represent monoliths before the model was released, which were the perfect size and shape. I still think of them as mark 1 monoliths.

Kalivos
24-07-2013, 21:36
I know a guy who uses red solo cups as drop pods for his Space Marines. I think that's a pretty common one.

ugavine
25-07-2013, 10:31
Nothing too outlandish. Pepsi can as a drop pod is the usual one I see.

Last week I was going to use my Helldrake for the first time, CSM allies with my Orks. Only I went and broke the model carrying it to my car. I looked at writing a new list but in the end used one of my Dakkajets, a converted Valkyrie piloted by an Ork, to count as the Helldrake.

Menthak
25-07-2013, 12:43
The only 'proxy' we use (more of a conversion really) is a Chaos Space marine riding a Tau Seeker missile. with a chain-lance, plasma pistol, possessed head and a huge cape.

Worldeaters
25-07-2013, 20:39
Most recent ones I've seen happen lately was my brother using a empty rectangular baby formula mix box to represent a wraithknight to trial it out. And before that I was using beer cans to represent dreadclaws for a couple of games before committing to purchasing drop pods and converting them.
Imagine the look on the other half's face while I'm trying to explain having a drink because I needed the cans the next day for a game of 40k.

Mandragola
25-07-2013, 23:04
Well technically they would have worked just as well with the beer still inside!