PDA

View Full Version : Boar Boy hammers

Steapa
25-07-2013, 15:55
I was thinking about this the other night. I was thinking about running boar boy hammer units 6strong in 3x3 formation with black Orc bosses. Black Orc bosses would get 2+ armor save and can give them a magic weapon for extra potency. I think these would work well providing support for my big block of bign savages. The one thing I hate about OG cav is the low iniative. But you could get 3 str 5 boar attacks 5 str 5 boy attacks and another 3 decent str attacks from the boss without getting all Death Star like.

Opinions?

Ratarsed
25-07-2013, 16:18
I don't think it will work. Firstly 6 boar Boyz is not what I would describe as a hammer unit. More a chaff unit. Also any failed animosity roll and the black orcs will quell it at the cost of probably half the unit!
The only success I have had with boar boys is to upgrade them to big'uns and shove in Gorbad! Nothing like the units you are proposing.

Steapa
25-07-2013, 18:53
I understand your point. Mine is that it provides a unit that can't necc be ignored but isn't too much of a points sink. Even if boar boys are lost you still have a black Orc rompin around in the unit. I was just thinking it would synergize well with the army. Perhaps with a chariot or two.

K3nn3rs
25-07-2013, 19:06
How do you get 6boar boys into a 3x3 formation?
Or are you suggesting 3x BO bosses as well (for a total of 9 models)? If so I think that is a Death Star and likely prove in effective.

BigbyWolf
25-07-2013, 19:43
I was thinking about this the other night. I was thinking about running boar boy hammer units 6strong in 3x3 formation with black Orc bosses. Black Orc bosses would get 2+ armor save and can give them a magic weapon for extra potency. I think these would work well providing support for my big block of bign savages. The one thing I hate about OG cav is the low iniative. But you could get 3 str 5 boar attacks 5 str 5 boy attacks and another 3 decent str attacks from the boss without getting all Death Star like.

Opinions?

I understand your point. Mine is that it provides a unit that can't necc be ignored but isn't too much of a points sink. Even if boar boys are lost you still have a black Orc rompin around in the unit. I was just thinking it would synergize well with the army. Perhaps with a chariot or two.

If you like throwing points away and having expensive characters riding around alone, then it's a good idea. Bloc characters and Boar Boyz don't mix well. You would have a much more effective unit with a standard orc character in there.

boli
25-07-2013, 20:15
Best to move to 5(6) wide for rank, having 0 rank severely limits your combat potential.

Knifeparty
25-07-2013, 21:10
With Cavalry in any book you either go 6 wide with at most a musician and a flaming banner for cheap and effective monster hunting, or you go at least 12 with beat stick characters in the unit and make a death star.

Either simple and cheap or dressed to the 9's. Don't complicate things, especially with Boar Boys because they have bad initiative, and below average armour save for cavalry. If you charge this unit into anything it will die before it has a chance to kill anything, or likely suffer from rubber lance syndrome as you have no hatred or ASF, and then be butchered in return.

Fighting Newfoundlander
25-07-2013, 21:51
I have to agree with the other posters - I don't think this makes for a good hammer unit. They won't beat anything on their own, so they're basically there to assist a block of infantry. That means their speed isn't that crucial. If the plan is to use them on their own, I think you'd want a bigger unit. If being used to assist, I think chariots, especially orc chariots, do a better job

boli
25-07-2013, 22:30
Horde of blackorcs + boar chariot = win

Unit of boar riders combo charge with goblin unit with big bosses on front rank = different sort of win

Commodus Leitdorf
26-07-2013, 01:46
Yeah, even a large unit of boar boys isn't all that appealing. Let's face it, the hitting power of Boar Boys comes from the Boar, not the rider. Running a unit of 10-12 in two ranks means your missing out on the Boar attacks. You can counter that by making them Big'uns but then you want to make sure they can survive shooting so give them a shield...and well, at that point you just made a really expensive unit that doesn't hit as hard as other stuff available to you.

They are really better off being used as cheap flankers that can take more punishment then Wolf Riders. Say 1 or 2 units of 5-6 with just spears to maybe guard war machines to take out flyers.

Dark Aly
27-07-2013, 02:23
I like my 5 with spears, shields and a musician as a handy multirole unit but their uses other than this are slight.

snottlebocket
27-07-2013, 15:20

Why not? There's a decent chance it'll get in it's own way and if it does arrive... it's really not that scary.

russellmoo
29-07-2013, 00:23
I've been working on this- I will let you know if I can find a way to get it to work- so far it is not working.