PDA

View Full Version : Exodite Eldar

Turgol
26-07-2013, 11:44
I was just wondering, since I'am quite new to 40k, if Exodites have ever been a playable army/have played a relevant role in playable CW Eldar Armies in 40k? Anyone knows if an Exodite Codex was ever planned? The whole concept and art around Exodites seems really nice. Maybe, having them would be too similar to HE-DE-WE from WHFB, but since Eldar and HE are not quite the same and DE and Dark Eldar are really different, it could work nicely.

Glenn87
26-07-2013, 11:50
AFAIK they've never had their own codex.
But you could perfectly make them out of the Eldar codex, altough you'll be looking at ALOOT of conversion.

A friend of mine is/has making/made an exodite army.
You can put Jetbike riders on Dark Elf Cold One Knights, and I've seen the new WD, the Lizardmen have alot of new toys for making Exodites.
You could use Stegadons as Wave Serpents (altough this might be stretching it a bit), or use one of the new Lizzie monsters as a Wraithknight...

Turgol
26-07-2013, 12:33
That sounds like a nice idea. It would be great though to have special rules for them (and, of course, models). Do you have any picks of those conversions?

Poseidal
26-07-2013, 12:47
Maybe Stegadons as Wraithlords?

Standard infantry speed, and it has Eldar on top manning the guns and using Flamers / Power Spears from the howdah on top.

Wishing
26-07-2013, 13:20
There has been some rules for their dragon riders as a single optional rules unit, as far as I remember, in an old codex. But that's a long time ago. There has never been a separate codex for them and they've never had any official 40k models released for them, to my knowledge.

I like the fact that GW have them in the closet, ready to be released as a new army type one day, if they feel like the world is ready.

Horus38
26-07-2013, 14:16
There were exodite rules for a couple units back in the 2nd edition codex, but at this point it is extremely unlikely they'll be getting any official support. It is rich ground for those people who like conversions.

Hendarion
26-07-2013, 16:35
We've seen techno-apes return and we see Marines riding on large wolves. One day we might see some Exodits again - with Supplements the chances are higher than ever - but still pretty low.

Gazak Blacktoof
26-07-2013, 16:46
Hopefully we'll see a few nifty conversions and project logs following the release of the new lizardmen. I might have a go at some terradon-dragon-knight-jetbikes. Some of the larger kits might make nice wraithlord, warwalker or wraithknight proxies with some good conversion work.

TheDoctor
26-07-2013, 17:06

These are some of my Exodites. I am by no means a master converter, but hopefully you can get some ideas.
The dudes I use as an Exodite clan leader and bodyguards (Dire Avengers count-as)
The Stedgadon is a wraithlord

There are a couple cool exodite project logs here on warseer that you can find (use the search function), and of course there are some from the internet that makes my stuff look like cave drawings

djhowitzer
26-07-2013, 17:17
i would also suggest a read of path of the incubus, which has a bunch of exodite fluff.

Turgol
26-07-2013, 18:47
We've seen techno-apes return and we see Marines riding on large wolves. One day we might see some Exodits again - with Supplements the chances are higher than ever - but still pretty low.

A second Eldar supplement about lets say Biel Tan or Ulthw would be boring if you compare it to big change like Exodites. Of course, Exodites would need a lot more rules and model releases. Short term this may seem too expensive. If, however, they do look nice, Id really think it a better idea than another Craftworld.

Turgol
26-07-2013, 18:48
The dudes I use as an Exodite clan leader and bodyguards (Dire Avengers count-as)
The Stedgadon is a wraithlord

There are a couple cool exodite project logs here on warseer that you can find (use the search function), and of course there are some from the internet that makes my stuff look like cave drawings

They are pretty nice though! Nice power sword there. The Dinosaur also seems great.

djhowitzer
26-07-2013, 19:45
stuff that. my girls are dying for the biel tan supplement.

Shamana
26-07-2013, 21:01
Actually, wouldn't exodites work better represented as dark eldar with craftworld allies? DE don't have a lot of armor, but can have a lot of weird units that you could "exoditize" such as beastmasters, wyches (wardancer-like exodites), etc. PfP can be represented as some weird exodite Khainite trance, the Talos as a Dinosaur, and so on.

Compared to CWE, DE have lighter armor and maybe higher offense, and this works well for exodites imo.

Wishing
26-07-2013, 21:48
I still think that exodites are best represented as an entirely new army type with their own codex, if GW ever feel like doing them. I feel like there is loads and loads of cool potential in a mixing of sci-fi, dinosaurs, wraithbone, and an edgy nature-punk aesthetic to contrast with the bondage-punk look of the dark eldar. They could be a totally new model range with a really different look.

djhowitzer
26-07-2013, 21:59
Ooh. Nature-punk. I like that idea. Then i can theme an army on early 80s new wave bands!

Shamana
26-07-2013, 22:15
Ooh. Nature-punk. I like that idea. Then i can theme an army on early 80s new wave bands!

Oh, the visuals ARE going to be way different, either requiring new models or a guide to converting, likely using both 40k and FB parts (cold ones etc). The question is, just how much of a new ruleset do we need?

Wishing
27-07-2013, 07:49
The question is, just how much of a new ruleset do we need?

The variety of marine rulesets out there, all of which use the same basic models, suggest to me that GW can make new rulesets for anything and people will enjoy them. :)

Saying that we don't need a new ruleset to field exodites, because we can just use some of the existing eldar rules, is to me like saying that we don't need a new ruleset to field dark eldar, craftworlders work just fine, or that we don't need a new ruleset to play chaos marines, we already have loyalist marine rules. All of this is true - but having a dedicated ruleset for this very different-looking faction makes things a bit more interesting to me.

djhowitzer
27-07-2013, 08:36
one of the things would be a roll for homefield advantage. say 50%. if the exodites got it they would be immune to all random terrain shenanigans, and those results would be much worse for the enemy. due to the world spirit and stuff.

also, they would take biomancy psychic powers.

Ambience 327
27-07-2013, 15:51
In my opinion, for a Codex: Exodites to really work, they would have to be something new and different, not just "another flavor of Eldar". Craftworld and Dark Eldar are somewhat distinct from each other, but are both fast, fragile and hard-hitting, with mainly infantry, jetbikes and grav-tank type things (and a smattering of other units).

Exodites should share some similarities (especially in the general statlines), but have their own niche. With my own Homebrew work on them, I have pushed heavily for a cavalry-strong army with no vehicles except Warwalkers and Knights. (My rules are only current for very early 6th Edition - I am working on an overhaul to bring them in line with the newer Eldar Codex). Multiple types of dragon-riding cavalry (Knights, Nobles, Herdwardens) backed up by units of beasts (controlled by their Dragonsingers) and some big monsters (Megadons and more) create an army that plays differently to anything else currently available in 40K. That is important when making a new army - and I believe it is why all the newer Marine books seem to be adding special "Dark Angel only" or "Blood Angel only" units, vehicles and gear. (Though you can really only flavor a Space Marine list so much before it isn't really a Space Marine list anymore.)