PDA

View Full Version : How do you think "the" build will look like for the new Lizardmen?

Gharnukk
28-07-2013, 12:59
Greetings.

I'm sitting here looking at my old Lizardmen list. And with the rumour and the latest White dwarf
in hand I am trying to figure out how "the" list will look like. You know the build that people are
going to bring to tournaments and do really, really well. What do you think? Just one week away
until the new book comes out so please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

jarbo
28-07-2013, 18:19
There will probably be a few solid builds. I'm hoping for a viable monster mash list. Tournament wish I'd guess the slann will still be the way to go.

outbreak
29-07-2013, 00:17
Personally think monster mash will be the default with them. Lots of players like lizardmen for the monsters already and with the new kits coming mainly being monster type things I can imagine we'll see nearly full monster lists quite frequently. I actually like that for lizardmen

Gharnukk
29-07-2013, 05:13
I have done monster mash with Tomb Kings and really enjoyed it.
But they have much tougher monsters like the Sphinxes. Not
saying that it is going to be a popular build for Lizardmen aswell.

warplock
29-07-2013, 08:08
Well with Carnosaurs keeping the same sucky statline despite doubling in size, AND having to pay character-tax (it's nice that Scar Vets can ride them now, but you're still paying close to 100 extra points for no real reason), and with Bastilodons rumoured to be a similarly sucky T5, I think monster mash might be a stretch for Lizardmen. Stegadons sound like they will be ok still, and the Troglodon should be a nice buff-beast which can fight (though you'll want to keep it out of combat), but that's about it. The Slann is rumoured to increase by 25 points, so hopefully won't be nerfed COMPLETELY. I think magic-heavy will still be the best bet.

Zeroth
29-07-2013, 08:43
I would be surprised if monster mash makes it to a competitive environoment. I'm suspecting one or two tooled up slanns, some saurus blocks, skinks, terradons/ripperdactyl, salamanders etc. kind of the same msu style as previously. They are after all still cold blooded and I'm expecting magic on pair with a lvl 4 archmage casting at 5+ with a book coming out of a Slann

lees mekshop
29-07-2013, 10:20
I'm looking to go with the monster Mash but I also would like to try skink heavy list

Steapa
29-07-2013, 20:10
I see.. Lord on Carnosaur... Skinks for magic, stegs in special, new monsters in special, old blood on carn for rare... Pretty sure a skink priest can ride a monster now too... Whole lotta thunder stomping goin on

Gharnukk
29-07-2013, 20:25
At first I was thinking no Slann, I wanted a Lord on Carnosaur. But knowing how fragile they are I wont try it.
Not even a hero on Carnosaur. Probably going to use Slann, Scar vet on foot, a couple of large blocks of Saurus
warriors, some skink skirmishers, a couple of stegadons, chameleon skinks, terradons and salamanders and finally
a troglodon.

outbreak
29-07-2013, 23:28
Well with Carnosaurs keeping the same sucky statline despite doubling in size, AND having to pay character-tax (it's nice that Scar Vets can ride them now, but you're still paying close to 100 extra points for no real reason), and with Bastilodons rumoured to be a similarly sucky T5, I think monster mash might be a stretch for Lizardmen. Stegadons sound like they will be ok still, and the Troglodon should be a nice buff-beast which can fight (though you'll want to keep it out of combat), but that's about it. The Slann is rumoured to increase by 25 points, so hopefully won't be nerfed COMPLETELY. I think magic-heavy will still be the best bet.

once you have 5 monsters in your list t5 isn't as big of a deal. target saturation.

Steapa
30-07-2013, 15:58
Completely with outbreak. Can't field an army of anti monster slayers.

Besides.. All it takes is one or two of them to have a good round of combat to sway the balance

Gharnukk
30-07-2013, 18:50
And who would that five monsters be? :)

Nixon28/02
30-07-2013, 22:37
Nice to see GW buck the trend of big blocks with the new Lizardmen release...oh hang on. The fluff of the basiladon is that it's supposed to be this huge armoured incredibly tough dinosaur, but it's got a lower toughness than a Gorebeast Chariot? Looks like with this and the Carnosaur keeping the same bad stat line that they may have wasted the chance for creating an army that could be really different to any other (monster mash). Have to say personally I preferred the whole Aztec style theme rather than all the dinosaurs but that's just my opinion. The colour scheme on the Basiladon (white dwarf one with the solar engine - Green carapace) in particular, in my opinion, makes it look more like a plastic kids toy. Apologies for the rant, just felt like adding my 2 pence (though it's more like 50 really)

Gharnukk
31-07-2013, 19:38
Right now i'm thinking monster mash with Carnosaur lord, or infantry heavy with Slann? Hmmm.

tankrothchild
01-08-2013, 17:29
Skinks with monsters sprinkled in. I think there may be an exodus away from the LM post release.

Captain Collius
01-08-2013, 17:42
once you have 5 monsters in your list t5 isn't as big of a deal. target saturation.

Exactly this si why my mazdamundi skink priest on EOTG and 3 stegs and a horde of 50+ spear wielding saurus works. how many warmachines do you have..... Not enough.

Methios
01-08-2013, 21:30
Still a treekin has a better statline then a carnosaur... its not going to happen.

Fallenturtle
01-08-2013, 21:34
Oldblood with steg helm on a cold one
scar vet with horn on a cold one
cold one bus of 10

2 Briests (beast skinks)

Add in a trog nearby and that will be a fearsome unit.

BUB
02-08-2013, 10:29
Sadly still think Skink Cloud is the best choice for core, although at least there won't be double Slanns everywhere now. Cold One bus is a good shout. None of the new monsters are that great, l when it comes to the big gribblies think its all about the Ancient Steg with D3 wound impact hits will turn all those chaos chariots into mush

Spiney Norman
04-08-2013, 16:57
The best build I think will be a Saurus line, High loremaster Slann in temple guard, backed up by chameleons, solar Bastilodon, ancient stegs and salamanders, add terradons, swarms and other characters to taste.

I'm eager to try out a "Red Host" style list, Tehenhauin in a decent size swarm unit with an Ark Bastilodon to bulk it up further, then a scar vet on a carnosaur, a beast priest, a Saurus brick and some Skirmishers, finish off with chameleons, an EotG and as many salamanders as I can fit.

The bearded one
04-08-2013, 17:36
I suspect almost the same as it was before, with a handful alterations.

- Slann
- skink priest, probably still a scar veteran or two
- blocks of saurus and lots of skink skirmishers, probably a small skink cohort to put a skink priest and/or slann in
- Templeguard block/horde (with the handy change you're not forced to put the slann in there who might blow half of them up and deprives them of several supporting attacks), 2-3 units of chameleon skinks. Occasionally 1-2 terradon units. Possibly 1-2 stegadon with d3 wound impact hits
- Salamanders, and most likely 1-2 ancient stegadons with d3 wound impact hits

Shadoer
04-08-2013, 19:41
Personally I thinking the tournament build will look like this for 2500 pts

Lord
===========

Solo Slann:
Disciplines: (Transdental Healing, Focus Mystery, Harmonic Convergence, Higher State of Consciousness)
Magic Items: Forbidden Rod
Battlestandard: Standard of Discipline
Note: Will give you decent casting dice, solo so it won't harm your units and semi-immune to artillery, and still has +1 Leadership

Hero
=====

Scar vet on a Carnasaur
Magic Items: Steggadon Helm
Upgrade: Roar ability that forces terror to be rolled with an extra die.
Note: Yes, I am in the minority that Carnasaurs are coming back. Yes, he's cannon fodder. However with spells that can move us 20" in one magic phase, I think he's due for a comeback.

Skink Priest Scroll Caddy
Magic Item: Dispel Scroll

Core
======

2 Units of Skink/Krox each containing 3 Kroxigors and 24 Skinks
Note: Skinks got better with their Scaly Skin of 6+. Honestly I think the high st. Plus they have great speed and this will be a high maneuver army.

Special
======

2 Steggadons with the D3 Wound Upgrade
Note: This will be Ogres worst nightmare and be able to take down enemy monsters

Cameo Skinks of warmachine killing

Terradons of warmachine killing

Rare
======

1 Ancient Segregation with Engine of the Gods

2 Salamanders

First off, yeah I know points are way off. I'm still theorizing here.

This will be a super fast maneuver heavy army capable of dancing circles around the enemy. Aside from the Slann, the lowest movement score in this army is 6, making it capable of standing up to ogres in a straight fight. It also with both Terradons and Cameo Skinks on patrol, there is more than enough forces out there to take down or tie up enemy warmachines before your monsters die horrible deaths.

Basically, Lizardmen will go from a rather slow army to one of the fastest in the game.

The bearded one
04-08-2013, 20:28
2 Units of Skink/Krox each containing 3 Kroxigors and 24 Skinks
Note: Skinks got better with their Scaly Skin of 6+. Honestly I think the high st. Plus they have great speed and this will be a high maneuver army.

I think skink-krox became worse though, because the kroxigors can now be attacked and killed before striking.

You'll probably have to cut some stuff in that list. I didn't find LM particularly slow before to be honest, but if it's speed you're looking for I think you should give your carnosaur the swiftstride ability with the 'loping stride' upgrade.

Frankly
04-08-2013, 22:05
I think skink-krox became worse though, because the kroxigors can now be attacked and killed before striking.

Yeah this is a big deal, certainly more than a few tournament lists in my area have worked in skrox units into their lists over saurus units, purely for the reason that they can keep on bashing out str6 hits consistantly through a few combat phases. Taking that away takes shaves off utility value to the unit.

Shadoer
05-08-2013, 03:17

You'll probably have to cut some stuff in that list. I didn't find LM particularly slow before to be honest, but if it's speed you're looking for I think you should give your carnosaur the swiftstride ability with the 'loping stride' upgrade.

You know, I don't think Skink-Krox took that big a hit.

Yes, the Skinks lost a point of leadership. However, they did gain a 1+ Scaly Skin save bringing them to having a 5+ Armor save and 6+ Ward close combat. Also, now that Kroxigors are cheaper the whole combo went down in points.

Another point is that now the whole unit of Skink-Krox gains fear and the Kroxigors hit at Strength 7.

Now I fully realize that a unit of Skink-Krox cannot go head to head with Monsterous Cavalry, but really I want my Stegaddons and Carnasaurs with their D3 wound abilities to take care of that. The Skink/Krox just need to hold the line with steadfast and mope up other threats.

Also, yeah totally going to add swiftstride to the carnasaur if I can find the points for it. :)

The bearded one
05-08-2013, 03:35
Sure, a 5+ save in combat now, which is at least an actual save instead of the token 6+ they had before. But a 5+ save.. on ws2 t2 infantry.. is that point of save really going to make a difference? The unit used to be handy at dishing out attacks with kroxigors while the skinks took the hits, making them good tools to fight things like monstrous cavalry. You say you want "your stegadons and carnosaurs [...] to take care of that. The Skink/Krox just need to hold the line with steadfast and mope up other threats." , but then I just wonder why you don't let saurus do that for you, who are all around vastly better at holding the line and killing people. The only reason is because you want the 2pts of movement, but otherwise there's not much going for the skrox that either saurus or pure kroxigors cant do.

Shadoer
05-08-2013, 04:38
Sure, a 5+ save in combat now, which is at least an actual save instead of the token 6+ they had before. But a 5+ save.. on ws2 t2 infantry.. is that point of save really going to make a difference? The unit used to be handy at dishing out attacks with kroxigors while the skinks took the hits, making them good tools to fight things like monstrous cavalry. You say you want "your stegadons and carnosaurs [...] to take care of that. The Skink/Krox just need to hold the line with steadfast and mope up other threats." , but then I just wonder why you don't let saurus do that for you, who are all around vastly better at holding the line and killing people. The only reason is because you want the 2pts of movement, but otherwise there's not much going for the skrox that either saurus or pure kroxigors cant do.

Well the movement allows the Skink/Krox to choose and avoid their targets much easier than Saurus. With Movement 4, the Saurus can still get hit by a strong monsterous cavalry unit and get beaten to a pulp while the Skink/Krox can possibly manouver out of the way allowing the Steggadon to hit it. Even if the Monsterous Cavalry hit the unit of Skink/Krox, the still have to target the Krox if they want to live. That means the unit get a good couple of combat rounds with Steadfast, giving time for other units to move in and support... Saurus don't have that luxury, they'll likely break unless I have a character babysitting them or I run blocks of at least 25. The Skink/Krox have high initiative making them fairly immune to things like Purple Sun unlike the Saurus whom now get slaughtered in droves unless they roll a number of 1's. Finally running pure Kroxigors means that they are a special choice and I need to fill my core up, likely with Saurus, further eating up my points.

At least that's where my logic is heading, albeit this is still all theory hammer.

The bearded one
05-08-2013, 05:21
To be honest I think you're overselling how fast M6 is, especially considering all monstrous cavalry is faster and has swiftstride.

Additionally units of skink-krox and units of saurus average about the same number of models for the same number of points (assuming you take 1 krox per 8 skinks), so I dont expect saurus to break all that much faster, especially because they're more resilient against stomps and they're ld8 rather than 7.

I dont really expect either to be able to really deal with the stronger monstrous cavalry like skullcrushers and Demigryphs because their save is too good for saurus, while their offense easily kills almost all kroxigors in one round, whereas both should quite easily be able to deal with weaker monstrous cavalry like necropolis knights and mournfangs, who dont have 1+ saves and low weaponskill.

Shadoer
05-08-2013, 06:07
To be honest I think you're overselling how fast M6 is, especially considering all monstrous cavalry is faster and has swiftstride.

Additionally units of skink-krox and units of saurus average about the same number of models for the same number of points (assuming you take 1 krox per 8 skinks), so I dont expect saurus to break all that much faster, especially because they're more resilient against stomps and they're ld8 rather than 7.

I dont really expect either to be able to really deal with the stronger monstrous cavalry like skullcrushers and Demigryphs because their save is too good for saurus, while their offense easily kills almost all kroxigors in one round, whereas both should quite easily be able to deal with weaker monstrous cavalry like necropolis knights and mournfangs, who dont have 1+ saves and low weaponskill.

I don't know, but I'm interested in testing it.

I mean, a standard Skink unit of 24 with 3 Kroxigors nets you a total of 33 wounds and 6 ranks. A unit of 25 Saurus of comparable point value gives you just 25 wounds (all at toughness 4), no ward save if you have spears, and 5 ranks. Also with the Kroxigors/Skinks, at least with that the Monsterous Cavalry needs to make a choice of if they are going after the Kroxigors or the unit, that will help keep it alive through a turn. Also, when they charge the Skink/Krox, I also get a quick round of poison javellin throws.

Also you are right, I am overselling M6 a bit. However, it does help to try and avoid these things while giving me a chance to use my other monsters to take them down.

Nkari
05-08-2013, 06:41
you have a Engine of the gods.. wardsave you have on the saurus.. =)

jaysta
05-08-2013, 07:47
The Dwellers Below podcast just covered this very question. We concluded that you will probably end up seeing the optimsed lists being much as they were in the old book, with a bastiladon or two added in. Too early to definitively say, as the book is pretty well internally balanced so there will be some out there whacky lists that work, and a lot of monster mash, but in the end the tournament list won't end up changing much in composition. The difference will be in play style due to the changes in magic, with both the high lore, and beasts on the skinks.

Have a little listen:

Episode 21 - Dinosaurs Are Us. (http://www.thedwellersbelow.com/podcast/Dwellers21-DinosaursAreUs.mp3)

datalink7
05-08-2013, 20:45
I haven't sat down and worked it out, but I envision a sort of "Flying Circus" being a possibility. 3 units of Terradons and 3 units of Ripperdactyls, along with Skink Chief's on Terradons/Ripperdactyls makes for a lot of flying all over the place.

Spiney Norman
05-08-2013, 20:53
I haven't sat down and worked it out, but I envision a sort of "Flying Circus" being a possibility. 3 units of Terradons and 3 units of Ripperdactyls, along with Skink Chief's on Terradons/Ripperdactyls makes for a lot of flying all over the place.

I really like that idea, I'm thinking that when they FAQ Tiktaq'to to let him join Terradon units he will be a great addition to that list, I think ripperdactyls will be very good if you fully commit and take three units, being able to place three toads will make them very nasty.

The bearded one
05-08-2013, 20:55
If anything the high flying stands will make that army look smashingly cool on the table.

Frankly
05-08-2013, 21:43
Yeah, a flying army looks great both gaming and visual wise! Highly mobile lists seem a solid choice out of this armybook. It'll get smashed in both ETC and swedish comp systems ... but who cares.

Just reading through the rules for Ripperdactyl, pity about their average Int3, other than that they seem to be a very pretty solid as utility support/assassins unit.

You could add to the list Saurus Cav and hitty characters as well, maybe a Vet/oldblood bus?

For another list type I was thinking of was a type of monster mash list with its primary focus being Beasts/wildform spam with a Slann and skink priests + a EotG buff. Again, nice with a cavalry buses and flyer support?

siccore
06-08-2013, 10:57
I really like that idea, I'm thinking that when they FAQ Tiktaq'to to let him join Terradon units he will be a great addition to that list, I think ripperdactyls will be very good if you fully commit and take three units, being able to place three toads will make them very nasty.

why faq? he is monst. calv. they are monst. calv. he even has a rule "all terradonS in his unit" no need to faq that.

Spiney Norman
06-08-2013, 11:00
why faq? he is monst. calv. they are monst. calv. he even has a rule "all terradonS in his unit" no need to faq that.

Because terradons can fly, and according to the warhammer rule book, characters cannot ever join a unit that can fly, Tiktaq would need a specific exception to that rule to be able to join terrdon units (as would a skink chieftain).

cptcosmic
06-08-2013, 13:41
no love for carno?
imho LM are great candidates for monster mash lists cause they have cube + scroll, lots of cheap skirmishers, shooting and chamo skinks are great warmachine hunters.

something like:
oldblood and scar vet on carno
2 skink priest with scroll and cube
core full of skinks
special with camo skinks, maybe swarms and bastiladon
rare with salamander and troglodon

Spiney Norman
06-08-2013, 14:16
no love for carno?
imho LM are great candidates for monster mash lists cause they have cube + scroll, lots of cheap skirmishers, shooting and chamo skinks are great warmachine hunters.

something like:
oldblood and scar vet on carno
2 skink priest with scroll and cube
core full of skinks
special with camo skinks, maybe swarms and bastiladon
rare with salamander and troglodon

Why the troglodon, aside from the fact that it is terrible the only real reason to field it (its roar ability) will only effect your saurus cahracters. I'd swap him out for an ancient steg with sharpened horns, imho the best monster in the new list.

N1AK
06-08-2013, 14:36
And who would that five monsters be? :)

My first build with the new book for 2,400:
Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon
Ancient Stegadon
Ancient Stegadon: Engine of the Gods
Stegadon
Stegadon

Add in a Slann, massive Skrox unit (40 Skinks, 5 Krox) and some skirmishers and season to taste :)

N1AK
06-08-2013, 14:43

The Skink Krox unit I'm going to try out on Thursday is 40 Skinks and 5 Kroxigor in a horde. Given that it counts as having 6 ranks to begin with it should be steadfast vs any heavy cavalry or monstrous cavalry. It'll take down a single normal sized monstrous cavalry unit but not a unit with the same points value, but none of our core infantry will beat equal points of Mournfang, Skullcrushers or Demis :( but thats what my 3 Ancient Stegadons are for _

The bearded one
06-08-2013, 18:40
40 skinks and 5 kroxigors.. Yes, I can see that working ;)

Wolfyjoe
06-08-2013, 18:50
How are we going to build Chiefs? No Warspear anymore :(

Spiney Norman
06-08-2013, 19:01
How are we going to build Chiefs? No Warspear anymore :(

Its looking very much like skink chiefs won't really have a place in the new book until they FAQ them to be able to join Ripperdactyl units.

Wolfyjoe
06-08-2013, 19:09
Its looking very much like skink chiefs won't really have a place in the new book until they FAQ them to be able to join Ripperdactyl units.

That's dissapointing. I'm toying around with a Skink Chief with Fencers Blades or ASF sword. Plop him in a saurus unit with my Scar- Vet and use him for cheap challenge character and mitigate PF

sigmarus
06-08-2013, 19:42
So I have been hearing a lot of crying, and talk of Skrox / stegadon lists. What I havent heard people talk about is the saurus buff list that I have been thinking about. Take a horde of saurus or temple guard, and buff them until they kill anything in combat. You can give them +1I, 6++ ward, poison from swarms, +WS,Mov,I from hand of glory,and +1Str/+1Tough from wildform (beasts). Now yes, this takes a lot to get everything off, but seriously think about the possibilities. Plus you can get 2 wildforms off if very lucky. That makes your saurus hit on 3's with 5 or 6 str, lots of attacks from horde, and they hit first because high initiative. Then whatever lives from combat has a harder time hitting you, and you have bonus toughness and ward saves. In my local meta, most games are won via Close Combat.

Gharnukk
07-08-2013, 17:37
I am having trouble deciding two things.
Focus mastery or Wandering deliberations on the Slann?
I have had a great time with the eight signature spells on my High elf Loremaster.
And he is only Lvl 2. But then again I can see how great High magic is for Lizardmen.
The other thing is javelins or fireleech bolas on Terradon riders?

Spiney Norman
07-08-2013, 19:02
I have had a great time with the eight signature spells on my High elf Loremaster.
And he is only Lvl 2. But then again I can see how great High magic is for Lizardmen.

I'm taking javs for my terris, aside from the concept being totally retarded (spontaneously combusting leeches... please) I'd prefer to keep them cheap, that and I don't think my terradons ever go within 6" of an enemy unit unless they are in combat with it...

Regarding the Slann I would go with high magic, if the are any specific sig spells you want then its easy enough to do with the lore attribute.

Gharnukk
07-08-2013, 22:15
Yeah I will probably do the same. The bolas only advantage as I see it are the flaming attacks.
And I never tried High magic for my High elves so it could be fun to give it a go.

DrMooreFlava
08-08-2013, 05:49
So I have been hearing a lot of crying, and talk of Skrox / stegadon lists. What I havent heard people talk about is the saurus buff list that I have been thinking about. Take a horde of saurus or temple guard, and buff them until they kill anything in combat. You can give them +1I, 6++ ward, poison from swarms, +WS,Mov,I from hand of glory,and +1Str/+1Tough from wildform (beasts). Now yes, this takes a lot to get everything off, but seriously think about the possibilities. Plus you can get 2 wildforms off if very lucky. That makes your saurus hit on 3's with 5 or 6 str, lots of attacks from horde, and they hit first because high initiative. Then whatever lives from combat has a harder time hitting you, and you have bonus toughness and ward saves. In my local meta, most games are won via Close Combat.

Were you even around for the timewarp + speed of light days? Or the mindrazor days? Or the 8th edition days? Lizards magic took a hit, cheap magic is the new way to go IMO. 2 lvls 2's beasts, dispel scroll, cube of darkness.

N1AK
15-08-2013, 16:18
40 skinks and 5 kroxigors.. Yes, I can see that working ;)

Tried it last week and it worked well. All the Skinks got killed eventually but the unit wiped out some Ripperdactyls, a cowboy and a Bastilodon. Trying it again tonight. It combines well with the Stegs as they have M6 and the ranks make a mockery of most wannabe steadfast units. Pretty sure the unit will take a 3 man MC unit. I'm considering running them 8 wide as anything threatening will kill at least one Krox before they attack and it makes it easier to fit in the battle line.

N1AK
15-08-2013, 16:28

Generally any plan that is relying on you getting 2+ spells off to buff your unit is one I'm dubious about. When it starts needing a buff wagon, swarms in the same combat on top of that my dubiousness increases. I want to see people try it and I'd love to see it working and winning events but it doesn't strike me as a build that will. I actually put the Steg herd build I'm running in that camp: Great fun, enjoyable to play but not top table material.

N1AK
15-08-2013, 16:40

I have the same quandary about the Slann. I took Focus in my first run out but I am seriously considering moving to Wandering now. I personally think our lore ability is pretty weak. You need to cast a spell you don't want to keep (potentially wasting dice) and can only reliably get a signature spell in return. Against a heavy armoured list that went first you may not have time to wait till you can swap a spell to Searing Doom.

Wandering gives us probably the best anti-MC spell in the game (bar mindrazor perhaps) in searing doom. The most flexible magic missile (fireball). An excellent monster/character snipe (spirit leech), one of the best buffs (Wildform, S7 impact hits causing D3 wounds _), a great Hex (Miasma), a poor mans 5+ ward (Earth Blood), Iceshard Blizzard has uses and burning gaze is only nearly useless (good in certain matches).

What's more we benefit from their attributes which I believe are taken advantage of in all cases.

It means we can't get hold of the mega spells like Final Transmutation but we can't get those via Focus either. As epic as Fiery Convocation is the fact it can't one shot off characters without wards and is pretty ineffective against MC, MI etc with low model numbers or armour stops it being comparable.

trigger happy 24
16-08-2013, 15:44
okay so ive been hearing the words skink cloud tossed around and I was wandering what a skink cloud list would look like

Frankly
16-08-2013, 23:17
Skink cloud is a loose term for a skink heavy core selection + chammies. Both cohorts and skirmishers work well for their point costs as Many Small Units(MSU) running around redirecting and controlling the board, while some units are able to get to the flanks and support with ranged attacks.

I personally think 6 or 7+ is a 'skink cloud'.

trigger happy 24
16-08-2013, 23:43
thank you very much so this coupled with sallies ancient stegs and teradons/rippers could work or do you need the slann

Methios
18-08-2013, 10:53
A horde of Temple Guard is just to sexy to pass up on this book imo.

Zeroth
18-08-2013, 22:42

You can build some juicy 1+ or 2+ save heros with dawnstone fairly cheap. They'll be awesome.
What you are asking for is not a FAQ it's a rules change, highly unlikely seeing how Bretonnia have been unable to join Pegasus units for a while

Spiney Norman
19-08-2013, 07:58
You can build some juicy 1+ or 2+ save heros with dawnstone fairly cheap. They'll be awesome.
What you are asking for is not a FAQ it's a rules change, highly unlikely seeing how Bretonnia have been unable to join Pegasus units for a while

Getting slightly bored of repeating this to people who haven't bothered to read the new LM army book, but here goes, not only have skink heroes have historically always been able to join Terradon units but the special character Terradon rider (tiktaq'to) has a special rule that affects "terradons in his unit". Unless the designer intended for him to never be able to use his special rule its a good bet that it was intended for Tiktaq'to to be able to join units, if not other chieftains.

Its fairly certain that Tiktaq'to will be allowed to join Terradon units via FAQ, the only question is whether the errata will cover skink chieftains mounted on rippers/terries as well.

The thing with chieftains fielded any other way is they cannt do anything that a Saurus cannot do far, far better.

Captain Collius
19-08-2013, 16:42
Getting slightly bored of repeating this to people who haven't bothered to read the new LM army book, but here goes, not only have skink heroes have historically always been able to join Terradon units but the special character Terradon rider (tiktaq'to) has a special rule that affects "terradons in his unit". Unless the designer intended for him to never be able to use his special rule its a good bet that it was intended for Tiktaq'to to be able to join units, if not other chieftains.

Its fairly certain that Tiktaq'to will be allowed to join Terradon units via FAQ, the only question is whether the errata will cover skink chieftains mounted on rippers/terries as well.

The thing with chieftains fielded any other way is they cannt do anything that a Saurus cannot do far, far better.

Sad but true I love ripper models and specifically creadted a tik'taq'to on ripper model to be my chief he is a little tank himself but he is not better than a scar-vet on cold one as with 2 more points of armor you can have a 1+ model who can put out a lot of attacks.