PDA

View Full Version : Which FW book do you recommend?

K3nn3rs
30-07-2013, 09:15
I've been along time admirer of the FW models and now that my long suffering SM and Eldar armies are finally almost all painted I though it would be fun to purchase a Forge World book and then some models to add too my collection.

So which book would you recommended and why?

Like I said I'm keen to add to my SM (home brew) and Eldar but I'm also drawn to the detailed fluff each book seems to add. I also enjoy reading the HH series.

The one model I'm currently most interested in adding is a Contemptor- which book has these rules?

Thanks for you help!

Kijamon
30-07-2013, 09:29
I'd wait till this Friday and buy the next Apocalypse book. (Okay it might not be Friday but it will be in the next couple of weeks).

It has all of this...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Imperial_Armour_Apocalypse.html

K3nn3rs
30-07-2013, 09:34
Missed that!

Thanks!

djhowitzer
30-07-2013, 10:03
Ia 11. Doom of mymeara

K3nn3rs
30-07-2013, 10:54
Does that have the Eldar FW stuff in?

Excuse my ignorance but will the new Apocalypse book be only for use in Apocalypse games?
My point being as I understand it FW books are allowed in 40k, even in some tournaments?

FashaTheDog
30-07-2013, 11:21
Of all the Imperial Armour books, I love the three Siege of Vraks books (5-7) from the pure fluff side, in my opinion the best fluff of all Forgeworld's books. Imperial Armour 12 is another book worth reading and that has the benefit of also having three current lists for sixth edition, one Krieg, one Minotaurs (Marines), and one Necron. If as a Marine player, the Minotaurs are a Chapter you particularly like, then this might be worthwhile for you to get. You may also notice the trend in the Death Korps of Krieg department here. Guilty; hand me my gas mask.

As for Marine players, the Badab War (9 and 10) gives you a much more Marine centric focus, an exclusive one actually. There is an army list in each part as well and rules for a number of Marine characters from different Chapters that participated in the conflict. The fluff here is also fun to read and worth your time as well. For a Marine player, you get more rules out of these books as well and more variety of Chapters, which is useful if you are undecided as to what Chapter you regularly run or just play the "Whatever these Marines damned well want to be this week" Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes.

Regarding Imperial Armour 11, yes that is the book with the focus upon the Eldar with rules for the Wolf Lord Bran Redmaw, who is something of a genetically engineered super-werewolf, if you're into that sort of thing.

Hendarion
30-07-2013, 11:55
Ia 11. Doom of mymeara
IA 11 is totally outdated. The Phantom and Revenant are in the new GW Apoc Book. The Phoenix and Nightwing are in Imperial Armour: Aeronautica, the Wraithseer, Lynx, Vampires, Hornest, Wasps and Warp Hunter will be in the next Imperial Armour: Apocalypse.
Except for the fluff, there is not a single rule of Eldar models that is still viable (Corsairs have lower stats than Guardians, less shots and cost the same, Shadow Spectres are just overexpensive and even more now with 6th Ed Codex and all the other stuff is in the other already mentioned books with changed rules/stats).

I'd say there's no book for Eldar that anybody would be looking for. IA11's fluff is medium, the rules somewhere between outdated and illegal. The other books mostly only include rules and no cool story (IA:Aeronautica or IA:Apocalypse).