PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at O&G competitive. Please help. (2,400 points)

Snake Eyes
30-07-2013, 13:42
Hi all. I have dabbled in writing various different fantasy armies, but I have never really played Fantasy. I do own an Ogre army which I have used a few times, but I find them quite boring to play. My gaming group are planning on going to a tournament in May which is 2,400 points. To get us enthusiastic about it each of us has chosen a new army to do.

I have chosen Orcs and Gobblins because they look like a lot of fun. Whilst a fun army is what I am after, I want it to be able to hold it’s own as we are heading to a tournament with these armies. My gaming group itself is very competitive so I imagine they will each be trying to come up with competitive lists themselves.

The list below is my first draft of an Orc and Gobblin army. I have gone for a couple of things I like the look of, but have tried to stick with a competitive theme. Sadly I have no experience with Orcs and Gobblins at all, so any advice and comments on the army list would be a big help.

Lord:

Gorbad Ironclaw – 375 points

Hero:

Savage Orc Shaman – 155 points

Level 2
Lucky Shrunken Head

Night Goblin Shaman – 110 points

Level 2
Dispell Scroll

Night Goblin Shaman – 85 points

Level 2

Core:

Savage Orc Boys (39) – 449 points

Big Un’s
Additional Hand Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer

Night Goblins (24) – 157 points

Short Bows
3 Fanatics
Musician

Night Goblins (24) – 157 points

Short Bows
3 Fanatics
Musician

Special:

Savage Orc Boar Boys (13) – 322 points

Big Un’s
Additional Hand Weapons
Musician

Rare:

Arachnarok Spider – 320 points

Flinger

Pump Wagon – 70 points

Spiky Roller
Out Riggas

Pump Wagon – 70 points

Spiky Roller
Out Riggas

Mangler Squig – 65 points

Mangler Squig – 65 points

Total 2,400 points

Kain187
31-07-2013, 19:40
For a competitive build i would add the below items:
BSB
Possibly make the Orc Shaman a lev 4 add fencer blades and drop the 3rd caster
2 packs of wolf riders
1-2 Doom Divers
I am a big fan of 1-2 solo trolls to chaff troops up

Other tweeks:
Most tourneys do not allow named chars(at least in my area)
Boar boys are not that great after you play test them a few times.
Frenzy is almost as much of a curse as it is a benefit when you play vs a skilled player.

Snake Eyes
01-08-2013, 07:56
Thank you for replying. The tournament that we are going to does allow Special Characters and with Gorbad being both the General and BSB at Leadership 10 with an 18" inspiring presence I thought that seemed like a good idea. Also the ability to take multiple units of Big Un's was quite nice.

Does the list need doom divers? I understand their roll is to deal with heavy cavalry such as Chaos Knights etc. But wouldn't the Fanatics and Mangler Squigs be able to deal with them just as easily?

What is really the point of a unit of 2 Trolls? It doesnt really have any staying power, or an offensive capabilities.

Is having a level 4 Wizard very important when it comes to fantasy? I do see a lot of armies from all different army books packing them, but wasn't sure that it was that important?

I had not taken Wolf Riders because the Boar Boys seem so much better, but if the big block of Boards isn't very good, would some thing like exchanging them for Black Orcs be a better option?

Sorry for so many questions, but Fantasy really isn't my thing.

kefkah
01-08-2013, 08:07
Some quick pot-shots on the list.

Gorbad does allow multiple unit of Big Uns, Orc biguns that is. So you cant have both a savage boar boys biguns and savage orc biguns. One of them has to change to regular Orc Biguns, the boar boyz in my opinion.

A lvl 4 is a very good defence. When going against some magic heavy armies, that 2+ to cast they have over you can mean the make or break of the game, thats why most people try to fit in a lvl 4 so the opponent wont get that 2+ to cast advantage over you when just taking lvl, so a lvl 4 and one lvl 1 is far better then 3 lvl 2s.

The solo Trolls are more like a chaff/rederiction unit. It can clear other chaff and help you avoid a charge in a pinch. Stupid though, so have to be close to the General ( well 18 inches :P).

Doom Divers are a goodsent. Yes fanatics and manglers handle tough armour saves, but manglers tend to die..like alot before hitting anything. Most people land a cheap unit on them and they go poof. You also dont need 6 fanatics, i think 2 each unit would be better.

Doom Divers are accurate, takes care of the 1+ units that run around and will allow you to stay back if the matchup allows it. So yes i would say include them somehow! I mean like really..include them.

In this case, a combat unit, def go Boar Boys. Wolf Riders are more chaff/warmachine hunters then combat troops. Going for Black Orcs over Boar Boyz depends on what role you see them doing. Black Orcs are though a more reliant unit then boar, but having cavalry is always great.

Kain187
01-08-2013, 09:22
In warhammer fantasy the game is won in the movement phase. You add the trolls and the wolf riders to control that movement phase as best you can. For instance if I was facing your 39 savage orcs I would place the wolf riders on the edge of your unit blocking any forward movement but when you declared a charge on them it would be a flank charge forcing you to wheel your unit to come into contact. Now with your frenzy you are forced to over run giving me your flank or sending your unit to the edge of the board making the unit useless for a turn or two. Then I would repeat with the solo troll. I have fed you 100 points worth of chaff and for 4 turns made roughly 600 points (with heroes) worthless while my 2300 points of army focuses on the rest of your army because you do not have chaff. Also the solo trolls/wolf riders can clear manglers and other items. My point is it gives you more options.

Doom divers are not only very good vs knights but Steam tanks, chariots, MC, DP, solo characters, etc. Alot of things your str 4-5 army will not have an answer for.
With your named char and 2400 you really cant fit a lev 4 shaman with the shrunken head. You can either not have the shrunken head or stick with the lev 2. I think the best option is to run a lev 4 night goblin with a scroll and then have the lev2 orc shaman with the head.
I would also add spears to your non biguns boar boys this will give them str 5 on the charge. I still think a different unit is better here but since you want to run a named char on a boar this is kind of a forced unit. Maybe play test them. You will find out calvalry at initiative 2 and a 5+ armor is lack luster at best.
I would consolidate the night goblin unit to a 35 man unit and add nets. Drop the pump wagons for the 2 doom divers, 2 units of 5 wolf riders with spears/muso and 2 solo trolls.

I hope this helps.

Snake Eyes
01-08-2013, 13:29
Well thank you for your time Kain187. I have done a lot of thinking, and spent some time reading a lot of the Orc and Goblin Tactics thread and have had a bit of a rethink. This is version 2 of the army list. As before all comments, advice and criticism is much appreciated, and will be taken on board.

Lord:

Savage Orc Great Shaman - 290 points
- Level 4
- Fencers Blades
- Lucky Shrunken Head

Hero:

Savage Orc Big Boss - 117 points
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Standard of Discipline
- Additional Hand Weapon

Orc Shaman - 125 points
- Level 2