PDA

View Full Version : TK Mummies?

Wamie123
31-07-2013, 08:36
I'm not too clued up on the Tomb Kings' background but just wondering what happened to Mummies? They were part of the old VC's (or Undead back then) army lists and would really pad out the TK's infantry choices. Whilst the VCs have Zombies, Skellies, Ghouls and Dire Wolves as Core, TKs are just all varieties of Skeletons (regardless of how cool they are!). I feel that Mummies would bring them a nice Zombie-esque unit which are cheaper and more expendable than Skellies, and very fluffy. If there's enough interest could poll this afterwards.

Cheers :)

Bad monkey
31-07-2013, 08:50
Are the tomb kings themselves not an evolution of the old mummies.

Ramius4
31-07-2013, 08:55
The Tomb Kings and Tomb Princes themselves are the mummies. There hasn't been an actual mummy unit since 5th edition.

kefkah
31-07-2013, 08:57
Ah...the Ugly Mummies :p.

I dont think they were a Hero Unit Bad monkey, something like s4/T5 flammable RnF, i think. If you just want the models use mummies as skellies, the old ones were more akin to tough hard troops then expendable.

Ugly Models though

Sophet Drahas
31-07-2013, 09:36
Yup, the Tomb Kings, Princes and Queens along with the Liche Priests and Necrotects are the only mummies they have.

I used to be in the same camp and was hoping for a mummy unit for them, but I've come around and prefer them to be mostly skeletal.

zoggin-eck
31-07-2013, 09:41
As said, the Tomb Kings and Princes are "mummies".

Other than that, the Tomb Guard are described as "Partially mummified", and the models are somewhere between skeletons and mummies. I really like it this way, to be honest, despite owning quite a few mummy models (they may just end up as unit champions one day).

Arnizipal
31-07-2013, 10:57
I feel that Mummies would bring them a nice Zombie-esque unit which are cheaper and more expendable than Skellies, and very fluffy.
Why would mummies, who are much harder to create and better fighters than skeletons, be more expandable and cheaper?

I dont think they were a Hero Unit Bad monkey, something like s4/T5 flammable RnF, i think. If you just want the models use mummies as skellies, the old ones were more akin to tough hard troops then expendable.

Ugly Models though
Don't forget the three wounds each model had :eek:
Tough as nails they were.

Wishing
31-07-2013, 11:15
Don't forget the three wounds each model had :eek:
Tough as nails they were.

Wasn't it four wounds? I vaguely remember them as being S4 T5 W4.

Undead were pretty special back then for having these crazy expensive small-based units. Wraiths came as a unit too I think, each model costing 75 points.

So yeah, probably the most defining justification for the Tomb Kings becoming their own army was the principle that they wanted mummies to stop being a unit and instead be made into characters, befitting the fact that it tended to be kings, nobles and priests that were actually mummified back in Egypt. So as part of the creation of the Tomb Kings, the classic horror movie "mindless shambling mummy" was written out of the Warhammer World, and was replaced by intelligent lich-like mummy characters that looked more like armoured character skeletons than the classic corpse wrapped in bandages.

zoggin-eck
31-07-2013, 11:36
Why would mummies, who are much harder to create and better fighters than skeletons, be more expandable and cheaper?

Yeah, this bit doesn't fit the background at all!

Bad monkey
31-07-2013, 18:48

I dont think they were a Hero Unit Bad monkey

Ugly Models though

Yeah they weren't Heros but defiantly where the idea for tk came from.

Much like vampires became vampire counts, as necros were the main general back in the day.

Charistoph
31-07-2013, 20:41

Undead were pretty special back then for having these crazy expensive small-based units. Wraiths came as a unit too I think, each model costing 75 points.

So yeah, probably the most defining justification for the Tomb Kings becoming their own army was the principle that they wanted mummies to stop being a unit and instead be made into characters, befitting the fact that it tended to be kings, nobles and priests that were actually mummified back in Egypt. So as part of the creation of the Tomb Kings, the classic horror movie "mindless shambling mummy" was written out of the Warhammer World, and was replaced by intelligent lich-like mummy characters that looked more like armoured character skeletons than the classic corpse wrapped in bandages.

Still, there could be a place for the shambling mummy. Not created by any reverance or ceremony, no. These are the Cursed, doomed to live a half-life, tortured puppets of criminals bent to serve the will of Priests and Kings.

Wishing
31-07-2013, 23:29
Still, there could be a place for the shambling mummy. Not created by any reverance or ceremony, no. These are the Cursed, doomed to live a half-life, tortured puppets of criminals bent to serve the will of Priests and Kings.

Agreed. I don't see any problems with a new variation on the shambling mummy theme, where they would be closer to zombies than their original mega-tough incarnation. Though probably still tougher than normal skeletons - it doesn't seem to make sense for skeletons especially wrapped in embalming bandages to be weaker than normal skeletons.

The Clairvoyant
01-08-2013, 15:25

They were also M3 with no marching. Could be wrong but I think they were also all destroyed if they failed a break test. Mummies could be taken as units (45pts a pop if memory serves) and you could take a Mummy Tomb King as your general. The magic item 'Tomb Kings Crown', which was standard equipment for Settra conferred the mummys WS and BS to a unit within 6" rather like Settra does now. I still have my mummy model riding a skeleton steed (can't do that any more either!) who was armed with the crown and the WS10 sword (can't remember the name now).

I tend to think of the old mummy troop type as now being Tomb Guard. Afterall, grave guard are what Wights used to be and they were W3 as well back in 4th

Wishing
01-08-2013, 16:00
They were also M3 with no marching. Could be wrong but I think they were also all destroyed if they failed a break test. Mummies could be taken as units (45pts a pop if memory serves) and you could take a Mummy Tomb King as your general.

In the version of the army I'm thinking of, you definitely couldn't take a Mummy as your general. The only Lord choices were Necromancer, Lich or Vampire.

But I had a Mummy character on a skeleton steed conversion too. Pretty much a no-brainer. :)

The Clairvoyant
01-08-2013, 16:02
In the version of the army I'm thinking of, you definitely couldn't take a Mummy as your general. The only Lord choices were Necromancer, Lich or Vampire.

But I had a Mummy character on a skeleton steed conversion too. Pretty much a no-brainer. :)

Yep you're right. I'm sure you'll forgive me since i've not looked at the book for 15 years!

GrandmasterWang
02-08-2013, 19:40
I have two oop mummies. .. I use them as necrotects.

Nothing gives a skeleton rerolls like a mummy! !