PDA

View Full Version : Greg's Tau project

Grreegg
31-07-2013, 08:48
Hello, I named this threat "Greg's Tau project" because I don't have original name for my army yet.

I started building my Tau army one week ago and goal is have it complete until end of September.

My actual roster you can see here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?377705-Pure-TAU-1999pts-tournament and what I will need to build is this: Shadowsun, Commander, 13 crisis, 6 marker drones, 20 firewarriors, 10 krots + hound, 3 broadsides and 2 skyrays. Because every time when I build army I use some original details or conversions I want to make it same this time. Big one difference will be use XV9 (forge world) instead of standard crisis (I really don't like this models and do you can imagine 13x XV9 on battlefield? awesome!). But you must wait for this, actually I am waiting for delivery of this lovely suits and just working on common models like Fire Warriors. So stay tuned for more in next weeks.

Commander Shadowsun:

Fire Warriors:

Marker Drones:

Bad monkey
31-07-2013, 08:52
Looking good like the weathering. How are you going to base them?

nebulushoax
31-07-2013, 11:08
Very nice! I also like the weathering on those fire warriors. I`ll be following this.

Tzabazeus
31-07-2013, 14:19
I had a similar idea with using the XV9's as count as crisis suits.

I'll wait and see how you do yours to give myself some persuasion.

which XV9 models did you plan as the base of the conversion? I think only the burst cannon variant has the guns separate from the arms

cheers, niall

bossfearless
01-08-2013, 00:34
Nice start to the army! I'm liking the slight variation on the standard Tau color scheme. The minimal highlights and light weathering are quite good, and this looks like it will be a good looking army on the table. What do you have in mind for basing? If you want a nice contrast you could always go with an urban rubble base. Sure, they won't exactly be "blending in" but that's not the point. You want your models to pop on the table, or else I doubt you would have painted them yellow :P

If you don't like the standard XV8 suits, try taking a look at my log (see signature) for some conversion ideas. And also funny stories about me burning myself and dropping molten solder on delicate bits. Also, you might want to consider upgrading one of your Sky Rays to a Metal Gear. Just sayin...

Grreegg
01-08-2013, 07:30
I am not decided yet with bases. Maybe some yellow desert style to make reason for yellow tau armor. but I would like something more contrast maybe something dark red/brown like from some death red planet or dark wet mud like from rainy forest. But how I sad I am not sure now, probably I will make some scenario for whole army so it will be something thematic and this is reason why I want do basing as last thing.

bossfearless
01-08-2013, 15:27
I've done armies with a lot of yellow and other warm colors before, and I would say that the trick to basing them is not to do more of the same. If you went with, say, a yellow desert base you'd wind up with an oversaturation of the color. The warmth of your color scheme screams out for a contrasting, cool base color. The red death world will have the same effect and be altogether unpleasant to the eyes. A dark urban landscape or perhaps a swampy foliage base would both be good for rounding out the overall composition. You might even want to look into the Tau bases that a lot of companies make, like Micro Art Studios or Secret Weapon. They look great and I'd use them myself if I didn't have to hide a bunch of LED hardware in my bases.

Grreegg
03-08-2013, 10:50

marker drones ready
(with small conversion of laser light)

Grreegg
11-08-2013, 15:51
Inspired by Black Library Shadowsun novel front page art I am working on Shadowsun conversion. After few full body armor try I decide to try something more like anime style and I like result. Now need to convert some small and nice jet pack and little bit experiment with some shoulders...

Grreegg
11-08-2013, 23:05
Greenstuff work is almost done... I hope, she will be painted soon ;)

carlospictor
12-08-2013, 19:14
Very interesting Shadowsun there. Your sculpting skills are really top-grade.

Unpainted, the guns look almost too ridiculously over-sized, but I'm hopeful that your painting skills will bring it all together.

The Fire Warriors and Drones you have painted up so far look lovely.

Grreegg
13-08-2013, 13:25
paint almost done. still missing wethering and base...

Grreegg
13-08-2013, 21:09
Commander Shadowsun is done.

BTW you can see my decision for bases ;)

http://www.tg.cz/volna/shadowsun_wip.jpg

bossfearless
15-08-2013, 23:18
Dangit. Now that I see this, there isn't any excuse as to why my Shadowsun isn't all cheesecake-ish.

Nomrana Est
16-08-2013, 22:56
I'll be honest, when I first saw your Shadowsun conversion, I wasn't sure it would turn out too well. Glad to be proven wrong though, as she's come out very nice.

The white on her top/sports bra thing looks a bit rough though, maybe a bit thick from what I can tell. Perhaps thing your paints out, and bring it up gradually from a dark tone rather than straight to white?

Grreegg
26-08-2013, 18:34
WIP on two Skyrays (putty + sand paper ... masking + airbrush = around 10hours of work)

Grreegg
28-08-2013, 20:12
Last pictures wasn't so good (taken by cellphone) so here something better... Still WIP but hull almost done
http://www.tg.cz/volna/skyray_wip.jpg

Grreegg
23-09-2013, 19:57
Skyray missile platform wip...

Grreegg
30-10-2013, 08:46
project continues... first XV9 crisis unit is done:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/43838ccdfaaae2c9166388f16076032d/tumblr_mvfw4aKGkR1sfjjf6o1_1280.jpg

if you are interest stay tuned on my Tumblr greg-40kgamer.tumblr.com (http://greg-40kgamer.tumblr.com/). Thnx

Toasted
30-10-2013, 11:04
Hazmat Tau :)

Captain Brown
30-10-2013, 17:49
Someone gave the thread a 3/5 rating. ???

I have just given it a 5/5 to bring up the ranking because your painting of the tanks and crisis suit is toop notch.

Cheers,

CB