PDA

View Full Version : Using old models with bigger bases?

emil1985
31-07-2013, 15:52
Hey guys
I am starting a High Elves army, and since I want to make an army rather cheap I have decided to get some old model archers and spearmen. Now my problem is this:
The old versions (before 5th edition maybe) of these two models use a base of 25 mm where as the new versions of these same models use a 20 mm.

How do I use the old models in a game now?
The new models can be stacked much closer together which allow them more attacks per unit, but also leaves them more vulnurable to template attacks.

Please give some advice to how to play with the differences - or correct me if I have made som error (could easily happen since I am new to the game)

thanks

theunwantedbeing
31-07-2013, 16:21
Put them on the correct size base.

20mm is the correct base size.

The guy below made a mistake and may not know how to edit their post to correct it.

dral
31-07-2013, 16:29
Elves have never been on 20mm, you just got a bunch with the wrong bases. They should be swapped as soon as you can really.

SkawtheFalconer
31-07-2013, 17:10
Hey guys
I am starting a High Elves army, and since I want to make an army rather cheap I have decided to get some old model archers and spearmen. Now my problem is this:
The old versions (before 5th edition maybe) of these two models use a base of 25 mm where as the new versions of these same models use a 20 mm.

How do I use the old models in a game now?
The new models can be stacked much closer together which allow them more attacks per unit, but also leaves them more vulnurable to template attacks.

Please give some advice to how to play with the differences - or correct me if I have made som error (could easily happen since I am new to the game)

thanks

It's not possible to gain a tactical advantage - the simple fact is that the rule book dictates they need to be on the correct base size.

Kain187
31-07-2013, 19:49
I thought you could always have a bigger base. You just can not have a smaller base. Either way i would place on the correct base.

Kneedles
01-08-2013, 03:23
They need to be based on the correct base as if you bought a new model of that type. Games Workshop does not explicitly state the base size of each unit. (I am of the opinion that they need to have it explicitly in the army book, to prevent modelling for advantage.) I do not know if there is an easy way to buy a large number of bases for you to rebase them besides Ebay or GW mail order.

Danny76
02-08-2013, 00:56
While we are on the topic of base sizes. I bought a Festus model and he had a 20mm base. Nothing in the army is 20mm, so sure,y he had the wrong base right?
I don't want him on the side of all my units all the time.

Pretty sure all WoC characters were 25mm...