PDA

View Full Version : High elf spearmen or sea guard

willieg
31-07-2013, 16:01
I bought the high army set off ebay for a considerable bargain (80) and im about to start making now. however I am unable to purchase the new army book until pay day and was wandering what I should build. 20 spearmen or 20 sea guard. cheers guys.

thrawn
31-07-2013, 16:36
I bought the high army set off ebay for a considerable bargain (80) and im about to start making now. however I am unable to purchase the new army book until pay day and was wandering what I should build. 20 spearmen or 20 sea guard. cheers guys.

i don't think there is a right answer here. i prefer the seaguard cause i got the island of blood models, but also i think they give me more flexibility.

sigmarus
31-07-2013, 20:09
I own both spearmen and sea guard, and I often use sea guard as spearmen if I need more models. They both have spears, so it is easy.

outbreak
31-07-2013, 22:52
I got the IoB sea guard as they are far better models (some of my favourites actually), if you ever want to run them as spearmen I doubt anyone will ever have a problem as well (unless you are running one unit of them as sea guard and another as spearmen but usually high elf lists take one or the other). I've been using seaguard lately and find they are pretty useful, with a unit of 20 archers next to them in my core I can pump out a lot of shots per turn and still have fun times in combat with all the re rolling spear attacks.

kefkah
01-08-2013, 03:10
Are these the regular spear sprues we are talking about?. Then Build half as spearmen, the other half as "sea guard" ( gluing the bow on the back and other bitz etc). They resemble each other very much, so you put the spear guys in the front ranks if going for spears or the sea guards in the front rank if going for them.

Thats how i did, bought 40 spearsprues and did 20 as spears and 20 as sea guards so i could switch between instead of buying 40 more spears.

jarbo
01-08-2013, 03:28
Everyone above is right. I think it's really a matter of preference and what else you take in the list. I have played a ton of HE players lately and some take sea guard and some spears. I'd assemble them as sea guard and run them as whatever you'd like.

Oberon
01-08-2013, 08:03
Sea guard cost 3 points more than spearmen and lose the ability to take a banner, but gain normal 24" range bows. Bows are good with wide formations (though narrower than with other races thanks to martial prowess), spears work best when narrow. With 20 models there's a 60 point difference before the magic banner is added. The tactical flexibility comes with 2 costs, and those are points and worse weaponry. I like to keep the two units separate (spears and archers) to give both freedom to operate according to need (stay back&shoot, advance and fight). Seaguard lose shooting if the march or charge, and lose combat if they shoot. With a defensive list they are a bit better than archers since the range isn't such an issue and 5+ save is nice, but if you are going to put pressure yourself I'd just take archers and spears.

hobbs3023
02-08-2013, 00:31
Neither. Sell them and get all archers