PDA

View Full Version : Post-Heresy Dusk Raiders

Tornik
31-07-2013, 21:35
From the off, I feel honour-bound to mention that this log will be infrequently updated. It's something of a vanity project, and an idea I've been wanting to get to since I first read Flight of the Eisenstein.

As the title suggests, I'll be painting up some post-heresy Dusk Raiders. I have more detailed fluff ready, but the short story is that immediately post-heresy, Garro and the loyalists he escaped with from Istvaan were reconstituted into a new Chapter under orders from Malcador/the Inquisition. They took the name and colours of the original Dusk Raiders and used the confusion of the Second Founding and the confusion of the post-heresy years to stay unnoticed by the Administratum at large.

Thus far, I have one finished mini, little more than a tester for the paint scheme, but I have a handful of others lying around ready to go.

17545017545217545417545517545617545717545817545917 5460175461

Tornik
31-07-2013, 21:42

ss_cherubael
01-08-2013, 00:02
Looks pretty good!

Dusk raiders were the original designation of the Death Guard right? And Garro and the other einstein lads end up as GKs?

Looking forward to it, pretty cool scheme, suits power armour.

Are we going to see a whole lot of resin from fw?

D-FLINCH
01-08-2013, 01:36
Like where this going! Love the scheme and the fluff! Do them justice mate!

Tornik
02-08-2013, 16:46
Thanks for the comments gang.

Yes, the Dusk Raiders later became the Death Guard. Ever since I read about them in the HH books, I've wanted to try the colour scheme as I thought it sounded quite simple and effective. So far it seems like I was correct. Although it does seem like Garro and the other surviving loyalists became Grey Knights (or at least proto Grey Knights) I actually wrote my fluff up before GW actually wrote that into the fiction. My idea was that these Dusk Raiders were originally made up of the handful of loyalists Garro managed to escape with from Istvaan. In the aftermath of the heresy, they were reconstituted into a new chapter under Malcador's orders. They adopted the Dusk Raiders name and colour scheme, and took advantage of the confusion of the 2nd Founding and post-heresy turmoil to stay unnoticed by the Administratum at large.

Although the name Dusk Raiders has been forgotten by almost everyone outside of the Inquisition by now, they've gone out of their way to stay out of the history books, quietly but zealously getting on with the business of smiting heretics.

The paint scheme I'm using is fairly straightforward - Mechanicus Standard Grey basecoat, two washes of Nuln Oil, another coat of Mechanicus, keeping out of the recesses and some of the panels on the armour, then highlights with Dawnstone. The red is a Khorne Red basecoat, two washes of Baal Red, another coat of Khorne Red, again staying out of the recesses and panels, with highlights picked out with Wazdakka Red.

I'm not sure if I'll be using a lot of Forge World bits - mostly due to cost, but also due to fluff. Because the chapter started out with very little resources, they don't have much in the way of relics. In fact, the chapter as a whole have been keen to embrace new technologies, and as such I'm going to have a few marines with MK8 armour in there, just to shake things up.

My original idea was to use drybrushing to paint all of the models, thinking that the dirty/basic look would suit them well, but I wasn't happy with how it turned out, and went for a more clean, crisp look. The extreme highlighting look isn't something I've used before either, so it'll be fun getting used to that. I've attached pics of my first tester model with the drybrush look, to show how it turned out.

Tornik
09-08-2013, 21:26
Small update, gang. I've completed one more figure, and almost finished a few more, some pics attached. Apologies for the wonky lighting; it's late night here.

Idomeneus
10-08-2013, 10:53
Garro and the other einstein lads end up as GKs?

Well, they couldn't all end up as grey knights, seeing as you have to be a psyker to join, and none or very few of them are. Also it has been explicitly stated (by a BL author, I can't remember which, in a WD) that Garro himself does not become one. So currently there are 70 odd death guard with nothing to do. When you think about it, you only need one Death Guard (as chapter master) for the entire chapter to adopt their philosophy and identity. This looks like an interesting project, though I'm not entirely convinced by the red on the arms. Maybe a more muted red? currently overpowers the main scheme.

Tornik
10-08-2013, 16:02
Well, they couldn't all end up as grey knights, seeing as you have to be a psyker to join, and none or very few of them are. Also it has been explicitly stated (by a BL author, I can't remember which, in a WD) that Garro himself does not become one. So currently there are 70 odd death guard with nothing to do. When you think about it, you only need one Death Guard (as chapter master) for the entire chapter to adopt their philosophy and identity. This looks like an interesting project, though I'm not entirely convinced by the red on the arms. Maybe a more muted red? currently overpowers the main scheme.

As I posted earlier, the germ of the idea came to me before GW (apparently) settled on their plans for Garro and his loyalists post-heresy. With GW's cavalier attitude to the fluff of late, and the fact that I'm a stubborn so-and-so, I had no intention of changing my ideas.

Regarding the paint scheme, I'm quite sure that any concerns about the red overpowering the grey are due entirely to my poor photography skills. IRL, the red is quite muted and complements the grey very well. It's in no danger of overpowering the grey. Here are some (hopefully) better photos.

176095 176096

Tornik
14-08-2013, 12:24
Moar updaetz. Given that this is a 'for fun' project, and not intended to be a real army, I wanted to do something a little different whit the bases. Normally, I would settle for the tried and tested method of sand, black paint and bone drybrush. With these guys, I wanted to push the boat out a bit, so I decided to experiment with some industrial bases for them. They're mostly done, with maybe a few tweaks to follow.

176326 176327 176328 176329 176330 176331 176332 176333

The bases themselves are mostly plasticard, cut to size and filed down , with some plastic rods, aluminium mesh and parts of a plastic kneedlework guide also used.

Mannerheim
14-08-2013, 16:43
So far so good!
Subscribe me, I really want to see more of it!