PDA

View Full Version : Fortitude

MLP
02-08-2013, 00:23
I'm going to a tournament in a couple of months where the Blood and Glory scenario Fortitude is going to be a big part of the game.

So I was wondering how much Fortitude you bring to a 2400 point game? And obviously state your army and reasons too.

Lord Inquisitor
02-08-2013, 01:02
I think 6 is a minimum. That way if a freak event kills your general or BSB, you don't lose. After that, it depends on the army you're running. If you're running a gutstar or a black knight bus, you can often get away with only about 5-6 points of fortitude. Your deathstar carries enough fortitude by itself to keep you alive so that they really have to engage it in some fashion - and if you lose your deathstar you've lost anyway. Some armies have small units in order to hide a couple of points of fortitude around the board, often chaff like marauder cav that operate like chaff normally but for B&G can play catch-me-if-you-can with their banners. 7-10 points of fortitude are normal for an average army I would say. I ran daemons at a tournament with B&G last weekend and I had 7 points of fortitude.

Skullcrusher
02-08-2013, 14:03
Depends on how hard/easy your units with banners are to kill. I have fortitude 5 on my WoC tournament army, and I've never lost a single B&G match by breaking.

MLP
02-08-2013, 16:37
Depends on how hard/easy your units with banners are to kill. I have fortitude 5 on my WoC tournament army, and I've never lost a single B&G match by breaking.

I have the same. I'm struggling to get more than 5 for my WoC without them being easy points for the enemy to mop up.

I don't feel like it's enough but the break point is 3 fortitude so they have to kill either my daemon prince or BSB to get me below that.

If you're right Lord Inquisitor and 7 - 10 is average I'm going to have to kill about double fortitude compared to what they have to of mine.

Tarian
02-08-2013, 16:40
I play High Elves, and I run 8 Fortitude. I have so much because I like banners and small/medium sized units.

Lord Inquisitor
02-08-2013, 17:05
If you're running the standard WoC chariot spam, fortitude is going to be a problem. General (2), BSB, 2-3 units of marauder cav that's going to be your lot. That said, it's a reason people like seeing blood and glory in tournament packs - it discourages a few power builds that don't have a lot of banners.

As I said, if you can make your fortitude really hard to get, you can get away with a low fortitude. The problem is if you lose your general, you break. I've seen it happen, turn 1 general killed by cannon and the army is broken. Many tournaments award VPs these days rather than straight win/loss for breaking your opponent but I've seen the two minute game ended by a cannonball.

Skullcrusher
02-08-2013, 17:54
Ifyou're running the standard WoC chariot spam, fortitude is going tobe a problem. General (2), BSB, 2-3 units of marauder cav that'sgoing to be your lot. That said, it's a reason people like seeingblood and glory in tournament packs - it discourages a few powerbuilds that don't have a lot of banners.

As I said, if you can make your fortitude really hard to get, you canget away with a low fortitude. The problem is if you lose yourgeneral, you break. I've seen it happen, turn 1 general killed bycannon and the army is broken. Many tournaments award VPs these daysrather than straight win/loss for breaking your opponent but I'veseen the two minute game ended by a cannonball.

Mine is currently DP (2), skullcrushers (1), skullcrushers (1), marauder horsemen (1). And yes, I play in competitive level but I don't always use BSB.

Against gunlines I just have to keep my DP behind hill/impassable most of the game. I've seen lots of B&G games end in first turn by cannonball/amber's spear/stone thrower, but always the player who lost had made a major mistake.

Kahadras
02-08-2013, 18:30
It really depends on what type of army you're running. I usualy run with around 5 in my 2000 point High Elf list. I've seen one game where an army auto broke at the start of the game. He hadn't taken a BSB or any banners in his units so he only had the two from his general.

Kahadras

MLP
02-08-2013, 18:38
My list at the moment is DP, BSB, marauder block with standard and warrior block with standard. I also have a unit of marauder horsemen (but don't know if I want a banner on them) dogs, trolls, shaggoth and forsaken.

So I think 5 or maybe 6 is my maximum. Any tips for this sort of game? I've never played blood and glory!