PDA

View Full Version : Move distance while wheeling

Maetco
09-08-2013, 17:16
Hello,

How is the travel distance measured during wheeling in different gaming groups/countries/tournaments/etc.?

Explanation of my question:
If a unit wheels the whole unit is considered to have moved what ever the furhtest model moved. Our gaming group has always used "the real" distance meaning the circular arc but now I was informed that (at least certain) tournaments had rules several years ago that the distance is measured using a straight line (starting from the starting point of the model and ending in the ending point of the model). The straight line method would mean that wheeling would consume less movement than using the circular arc method. The difference between these two methods increases with the amount of wheeling. Eg if a unit would make a 180 degree wheel according to the circular arc method the travelled distance would be about 1,57 times what it would be according to the straight line method.

BRB doesn't say anything about how to measure the distance so we have always assumed that we're supposed to use the real distance. The tournaments mentioned above used 5th edition rules and according to a person who used to play back in those days the BRB said nothing about the matter in the 5th edition either. Another thing supporting the use of circular arc method is that the BRB forbids wheeling backwards and if the straight line method was used then the unit could just make let's say 340 degree wheel forwards and the practical effect would be the same as making a a 10 degree wheel backwards (since you only measure the distance between the starting and ending point).

I'm fairly certain that there are people who think I splitting hairs here but it really matters whether a move consumes 8'' or 12'' of my moving capability. It the 7th edition 0,5'' difference was a matter of life and death but now that's not the case since we have random charge distances.

Thanks in advance to all willing to help me solve how this is actually played around the world.

theunwantedbeing
09-08-2013, 17:44
You're supposed to measure the arc the furthest model moves.

Straight line measuring works for small wheels (provided you knock a little bit off each inch).
You can of course make up a wheel template.

Knighted
09-08-2013, 20:08
Hello,

How is the travel distance measured during wheeling in different gaming groups/countries/tournaments/etc.?

Explanation of my question:
If a unit wheels the whole unit is considered to have moved what ever the furhtest model moved. Our gaming group has always used "the real" distance meaning the circular arc but now I was informed that (at least certain) tournaments had rules several years ago that the distance is measured using a straight line (starting from the starting point of the model and ending in the ending point of the model). The straight line method would mean that wheeling would consume less movement than using the circular arc method. The difference between these two methods increases with the amount of wheeling. Eg if a unit would make a 180 degree wheel according to the circular arc method the travelled distance would be about 1,57 times what it would be according to the straight line method.

BRB doesn't say anything about how to measure the distance so we have always assumed that we're supposed to use the real distance. The tournaments mentioned above used 5th edition rules and according to a person who used to play back in those days the BRB said nothing about the matter in the 5th edition either. Another thing supporting the use of circular arc method is that the BRB forbids wheeling backwards and if the straight line method was used then the unit could just make let's say 340 degree wheel forwards and the practical effect would be the same as making a a 10 degree wheel backwards (since you only measure the distance between the starting and ending point).

I'm fairly certain that there are people who think I splitting hairs here but it really matters whether a move consumes 8'' or 12'' of my moving capability. It the 7th edition 0,5'' difference was a matter of life and death but now that's not the case since we have random charge distances.

Thanks in advance to all willing to help me solve how this is actually played around the world.

I have never heard or seen someone use a "straight line" wheel. I play in the Southeast US.

TheKingInYellow
09-08-2013, 20:15
You want this (http://www.litko.net/products/Fantasy-Battle-wheels%2C-20mm-Bases.html#.UgU_pJLql6w) or these (http://www.litko.net/products/Fantasy-Battle-Wheels%2C-Combo-Set.html#.UgU_ppLql6w).

Sadly the 25mm base set is not available on the site anymore?

Saldiven
09-08-2013, 21:04
You're supposed to measure the arc the furthest model moves.

Straight line measuring works for small wheels (provided you knock a little bit off each inch).
You can of course make up a wheel template.

The difficulty with a wheel template is that the actual arc of the wheel will vary based on the frontage of the unit doing the wheel. I mean, the curvature of the wheel arc is determined by the distance to the pivot point. A unit with a 250 mm frontage (horde of WoC, for example) will have a dramatically different wheel arc than a unit with a 100 mm frontage (five wide unit of HE, for example).

Imagine one circle inside another where the two circles intersect at a single point. You will see that the inner circle has a more severe arc relative to the outer circle.

Lorcryst
09-08-2013, 23:09
I've found, some years ago, some nifty PDF files with wheel templates for 20mm and 25mm bases ... just print them, cut them, align the middle line to the front of your unit with the edge of the template flush with the moving edge of the unit, and you'll have a very nice and graphic representation of how much your unit will move.

I've put them on my Google Drive : 25mm one (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6bHYWWL5rdbTHlac1ZBRkc2RDg/edit?usp=sharing) and 20mm one (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6bHYWWL5rdbZzNjWlBLbWFweGs/edit?usp=sharing).

Enjoy :D

Maetco
10-08-2013, 17:16
Thanks folks for your input. So in short we have been playing it correctly and there doesn't seem to be any differences between different countries.