PDA

View Full Version : 6th ed Eldar or Tau

Tweakout
10-08-2013, 05:27
I am looking to get back into 40k after a long hiatus and I am having trouble deciding which army to get back into with. I'm stuck between Eldar and Tau. For either I want to do a mainly shooting based list with a minimal to no cc dependence. Aesthetically speaking I really like the look of both armies, with only a few stray models in either set being not to my taste. So I am just looking for advice on which one is more fun to play or provides a more varied set of lists I could make. Don't really care about competitiveness at all.

Thoughts?

Perth
10-08-2013, 05:40
Either will work just fine, what are your favorite units from each dex? I can help point you in the right direction from there.

Akwikone
10-08-2013, 05:53
Both have a "Dart and Weave" Style play, granted by Jetpacks and the new Battle Focus Rule. I feel if you want Pure Shooty you'd be better off with Tau as a good third to half of the Eldar Codex is CC units, limiting your options. If you want a Mech List, Eldar are probably better as Tau Vehicles are generally less loaded with guns and need Markerlight support to bring a lot of those guns to bear.

Perth
10-08-2013, 08:06
A good point above. If you want vehicles Eldar do that much better than Tau, but Tau win out on pure infantry.

BooTMGSG
10-08-2013, 08:15
Eldar are more mobile with a lot of their units fast, but with short range.
Psykic support is also a big part of eldar.

On the other hand why choose, they are battle brothers so you could play about with both.

Undyingswarm
10-08-2013, 08:29
Tau are great at long range firepower... Best infantry gun in the game imo... S5 30" shot 15" rapid fire.... Not to mention a couple of their HQs greatly benefit the role Firewarriors play, Cadre Fireblade gives them an extra shot, Aun'va can give them yet another additional shot... And at rapid fire range that 4 shots a warrior that is PURE firepower right there :) what is so amazing about the new codex is the amount of bullets Tau can dish out second only to pesky IG lol I would think at least...