PDA

View Full Version : Your MVP

Lord Dan
11-08-2013, 07:03
Frostheart Pheonix.

In a game this evening he took down a K'Daii Destroyer and a Hellcannon, and swung into position to charge some Infernal Guard in the rear (though we ran out of turns). In that time he took just 1 wound.

Yeah YEAH.

Oh, and I lost the game. :p

Who is your MVP?

Cobra
11-08-2013, 07:09
Changes from game to game but usually the peg rider dreadlord.
dark pagasus
whip of agony
dragon helm
pendant of khaleth
black dragon egg

I usually point him at the thing from the other army that I most dont want to fight (usually a monster, other combat lord or MC unit) and he takes care of them.

NemoSD
11-08-2013, 07:28
My generic BSB Noble. Normally mount him on a Griffon. The Griffon was shot out from under him, then the WAAC dwarf opponent proceeds to fire three cannons a turn at the noble who is either missed or wards out of each hit (on a 6+ ward). The tunnel vision rage wins me the game as that noble merges up with a PG unit, before being shifted into my spearmen horde.

The center which was weak after having lost Allariele got bolstered with the BSB in there, and we proceeded to collect beards as my secondary level 4 kept on dropping mindrazor on those spear men. The cannon were handled by reavers that he ignored in his tunnel vision rage. Dwarf lines quickly collapsed. Game goes to turn 7, with no Dwarves not running.

Didn't mention the white lion chariot and the bolt throwers that were just playing mary hobb with his dudes.

Sh4d0w
11-08-2013, 08:05
Beasts of Nurgle a.k.a my plague toads, rarely die and always seem to do something exciting.

Belakor
11-08-2013, 08:12
My smaller units with scouting and vanguarding Maneaters.

Always a thorn in the opponent's side and they have swept several gunlines off the table (a win-win situation so to speak).

Urgat
11-08-2013, 09:30
Usually when I win it's thanks to my throwaway wolfriders who did something to help me win or save me from losing. They usually die in the process, but I'd have lost if they hadn't been there, so they still get all the credit :p And they occasionally kill something absurd with their five poor little bows (like an ogre, or a aspirant champion who felt totally safe on his own near them).

Bingo the Fun Monkey
11-08-2013, 10:18
My Black Orc Battle Standard Bearer with Talisman of Preservation. Not only is he a staple of any attempt at reliability or stability in my army (and I like to take lots of trolls), he's no slouch in combat either.

danny-d-b
11-08-2013, 10:57
Hellblaster volly gun with master engineer a.k.a the knight killer, no one brings knights anywhere near it now after there current kill count of 9 DP, 2 eagles, 5 blood knights, 2 blood crushers, and 7 questing knights

SteveW
11-08-2013, 13:12
My Loremaster: he has a spell for everything and then isn't a dummy in close combat.

Boreas_NL
11-08-2013, 20:17
It's a close call between the horde of Halberdiers (with Warrior Priest) and the Helblaster (with Master Engineer)... Never play a battle without either and they never fail to make an impact...

Artinam
11-08-2013, 20:29
Bretonnian Lord with the Virtue of Heroism (Heroic Killing Blow), its either eternal glory of death.
I've had people feel anxious when their Nurgle Daemonprince faces this Human Lord and laugh their ass off when the Lord actually pulls off Killing Blow or misses completely.

Best time was a failed impetious test charging a unit of Knights errant into a unit of Skaven with the Bless. My knights break, only the champion and the Lord alive. They rally and charge in again, Lord doesn't take it and with a single hit cuts down a vital support beam, crashing the whole thing to the ground. Next round he and his buddy survive and flee of the board having done their Knightly charge.

Lordcypress
11-08-2013, 20:37
I know this is a cheesy one but my Deamon Prince of Nurgle hasn't died yet in 5 games of playtesting. He's killed a 12 Grail Knights, 2 Warshpixs, a Stegadon, bastiladon, All kinds of warmachines, Grimgor, Pegasus Knights, Saurus Warriors, Casket of Souls, Anvils.

This guy is a meat shredder and extremely hard to kill. Last game he got charged by a Stegadon and then a Bastiladon. He was down to his last wound. Then he tore into the Bastiladon and gained them all back. Ya some lucky rolls on my part but he didn't die!!!

Jind_Singh
11-08-2013, 20:46
My Giant - best monster ever, always does something each game even if that is just dying! Seen the guy walk up to a Nurgle Daemon Prince and thump him dead with a club, he thumped a Star Dragon dead, screamed and shouted to kill THREE Vanpires, stuffed an unkillable DreadLord down his pants, jumped up and down on Chaos Warriors, died next turn and fell on them - 40 Warriors dropped to less than 16 after 2.5 rounds!

yabbadabba
11-08-2013, 21:23
Outriders, definitely the biggest impact per point spent. For my friend it's his Black Orcs. It's always a blood bath trying to deal with them.

ArtificerArmour
11-08-2013, 21:42
For my khorne daemons - it's obviously the skullcannons. Easily make their points back every game.

For my beadtmen, my level 4 great bray shamen. Beast magic, Steel claws, jagged dagger, 4+ ward. WS5, T5, Savage beast, wyssans, hatred and strength 5-8 depending on how good my magic is and every model he kills becomes a power dice next turn...many games have been turned by this bad boy.

Litcheur
11-08-2013, 22:13
Hellblaster volly gun with master engineer a.k.a the knight killer, no one brings knights anywhere near it now after there current kill count of 9 DP, 2 eagles, 5 blood knights, 2 blood crushers, and 7 questing knights That's precisely the reason why my MVP is the Pegasus Knight. :D

Heepnose
12-08-2013, 00:42
Mines always been my chaos warhounds. I just take them as chaff but when they get charged fate always seems with them. Seen them hold up things like rat ogres for an entire game.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Anopheles
12-08-2013, 01:36
My Black Orcs, usually accompanied by the Black Orc Warboss. Dead killy, tough, and of course never run away. The Warboss sometimes charges off on his own to deal with big beasties or tough characters.

More than a few times a Stegadon is stomping through my Orc Boyz until the Warboss comes over and thwacks it in a round or two of combat. "Do I hafta do ever'ting misself?!"

outbreak
12-08-2013, 01:44
My Giant - best monster ever, always does something each game even if that is just dying! Seen the guy walk up to a Nurgle Daemon Prince and thump him dead with a club, he thumped a Star Dragon dead, screamed and shouted to kill THREE Vanpires, stuffed an unkillable DreadLord down his pants, jumped up and down on Chaos Warriors, died next turn and fell on them - 40 Warriors dropped to less than 16 after 2.5 rounds!

I only just had my first game with my OnG (even though I've had them painted for 3 or so years) on the weekend. Took double giants against ogres and they killed it. One of them thumped an ironblaster to death, the other one held up a unit and kept 'eadbutting a firebelly until they broke and got run down. The ironblaster one also helped yell and ball a couple times to hold out a multi combat when my night goblins general's night gobbo bus got charged by my opponents generals unit which was seeing me lose far too many goblins a turn for my liking of holding normally (even with a crown of command in there).

Maybe it was a random one off great game but from all the hate giants were getting on the net I was expecting them to do nothing ( they did take wounds from weak things like gnobblars though)

Montegue
12-08-2013, 02:20
My Runelord. Followed closely by the Organ gun.

HereComesTomorrow
12-08-2013, 13:28
My Bretonnian Lord with the heartwood lance and Virtue of Heroism. He needs a second, smaller castle for his trophies.

Lord Shadowheart
12-08-2013, 13:42
My 20 strong Zombie units, time and time again, these things will kill stuff way above their points values.

Knighted
12-08-2013, 13:45
Mines always been my chaos warhounds. I just take them as chaff but when they get charged fate always seems with them. Seen them hold up things like rat ogres for an entire game.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I came here to post this exact thing. Love my dogs!

Commodus Leitdorf
12-08-2013, 13:57
My Averland Huntsmen! My god the destruction! Either they are shooting fast Cav and cheap fliers to death or Suicide charging things with surprising results, always in my list!

Noble Korhedron
12-08-2013, 14:48
Is this for our all-time 'MVP' models? Or a 'Model of the Match' type of thing?

Captain Collius
12-08-2013, 15:23
Skink Chief on a ripperdactyl with spear shield and armor of destiny. Also know as Achi-lez. He is the ultimate flank charger

Blinder
12-08-2013, 15:54
For consistency I'd have to say my humble Men at Arms, sacrificing themselves battle after battle to defeat the enemy through sheer frustration (or should it be the obligatory Damsel + Icon...), and even the occasional bout of "angry peasants" (Wyssan's + nearby Tower of Blood, that was interesting...).

My Knights Errant are currently at the top of the "overachiever list" though, played against a Chaos army the other day with a pair of chimeras, one of the khorne chariots, some warriors and some knights. Just about everything bounced off their targets until around turn 4 (my opponent was rolling ward saves like crazy on the chimeras, and I had some absolutely comical hit/wound sequences), when the KE finally worked around from the far edge they had to start on to charge a chimera... eat it, overrun into a chariot that was supposed to hold them up for a turn and proceed to work their way through about half the chaos army (much of which broke and escaped, but still... they had something like 5 fights in a row at charge strength and managed to hit for once)!

Theocracity
12-08-2013, 16:00
I'm relatively new and haven't played that much yet, but so far I've been impressed by the outsize effect that my Gutter Runners can have on a game. Who thought that 5 rats could be more dangerous than 50?

Wash
12-08-2013, 18:35
BSB Exalted Hero of Tzeentch on Disc with Talisman of Pres, re roll ward saves of 1, Halberd. Single handidly won me games, and I use him regularly as a war machine hunter, tying up warmachines by turn 2 is always a massive plus. He's got a good combat res because he's generally always charging, and has a BSB. Not overly afraid to send him after big units solo.

boli
12-08-2013, 20:31
Last game: sky chariot with bolt thrower, it was scything through his knights!

It was really coming into its own!

Myster2
12-08-2013, 20:31
Saurus scar vet cowboy. Now with stegadon helm for impact hits. :).

SteveW
12-08-2013, 21:49
My last game it was my Aracknarock spider, killed 20 wolves, a black coach, some grave guard, and hit a terrorgiest with his flinger making it killable for my black orcs before it could strike.

Looking forward to having it in games for the years to come.

Imperator64
12-08-2013, 22:22
Gutter runners. Almost every game they manage to cause chaos and take out many times their own points of enemy.

willieg
12-08-2013, 23:33
Grimgor ironhide

Lord Dan
12-08-2013, 23:46
Grimgor ironhide

Really? Still?

Ramius4
13-08-2013, 02:00
In my game last night it happened to be 25 Skinks in horde formation (leftover from 34 Skinks and 3 Kroxigors). They were charged by 18 Boar Boy Big Uns, held for a couple rounds of combat as their Kroxigors got killed off. The final round of combat the Skinks killed 5 Boar Boys, only took 2 casualties in return and chased down the Orcs :-) Priceless.

Rudra34
13-08-2013, 02:27
For Skaven its typically my doomwheels. I always run two and they rarely disappoint me. Even if they don't kill anything, they are always entertaining.

For Empire it's peg captains hands down. At 2400 and up I run three of them with various kit and they have won me countless games.

Once Bitten
13-08-2013, 02:35
My Bretonnian Lord with the heartwood lance and Virtue of Heroism. He needs a second, smaller castle for his trophies.

Same here. I add the Tress of Isoulde (one use, hit on 2s). He has killed almost every big, nasty thing on the warhammer planet.

Lord Dan
13-08-2013, 03:02
Same here. I add the Tress of Isoulde (one use, hit on 2s). He has killed almost every big, nasty thing on the warhammer planet.

Not Armor of Agilulf? WS10 seems like a great addition to that build.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see what you did there. ;)

manickze
13-08-2013, 03:40
the Humble Beast of Nurgle

tmr8188
13-08-2013, 06:33
Black guard champion with whip of agony. He has won many a challenge against unit champions, heroes, and mages.

Wesser
13-08-2013, 06:48
Ol' Joe Empireman.

After every win I've had with my Empire the usual conclusion tends to be that no unit did particularly well or particularly badly... everything usually slouches through win good old human averageness and wins games. (well except in a few exceptions where flaggies goes bonanza..)

Uh, and for VC it's the Corpse Cart... it's actually been called "beardy" a few times now...how about that..

snyggejygge
13-08-2013, 08:43
If I were to count all my games since I started about 20 years ago I'd say my Chaos Knights are my mvp unit, however I don't use them in 8:th edition any more due to skullcrushers & trolls being much better point for point.

I've only played 3 games since the WoC book was released, & in those my hounds have been the mvp unit.

scavenseer
13-08-2013, 08:49
Vlad Von Carstein, Hero killer and defeater of dragons!

Sexiest_hero
13-08-2013, 09:26
Goblin great shaman on Aracharok spider. In my mine i pay the extra points to get a spider in the lord slot that can dispell for a few more points. However that shaman olle Nik-Knack. has been the end of many a unit in combat. Last game, HE not the spider finish off a carnasaur and it's rider, then they flanked a unit of saurus and he combined with the lvl 1 shaman on foot to kill it's scar vet in combat, He then charged the remains of a temple guard unit and put the last wound on the slaan himself. I swear he is the combat muscle of my O&G army. That makes me both proud and very sad.

Soundwave
13-08-2013, 14:00
My opponent,i play with some eitheir a:inexperienced guys or b:i generally use fluffy lists and win against them!

King Arthur
14-08-2013, 18:45
My bretonnian Bsb with his trusty prophetess whos 15 knight unit got shot from around them by a dwarf gunline army then take out 25 thunders with savage beasts and pann pelt take out an organ gun and cannon a very annoying slayer then slays my Bsb my prophetess promptly miscasts and slays the slayer :p and my prophetess takes out another cannon classic well probably my Bsb as for 124pts always does his points.

RTGamer
14-08-2013, 18:57
For me it's a unit of 5 Furies. So far never killed but ran off a Pheonix the other day!

Blinder
14-08-2013, 20:21
My bretonnian Bsb with his trusty prophetess whos 15 knight unit got shot from around them by a dwarf gunline army then take out 25 thunders with savage beasts and pann pelt take out an organ gun and cannon a very annoying slayer then slays my Bsb my prophetess promptly miscasts and slays the slayer :p and my prophetess takes out another cannon classic well probably my Bsb as for 124pts always does his points.

Speaking of miscasts, I've always felt that in 8th at least the requirement for a lance to surround a Prophetess/Damsel is less about protecting the Favored of the Lady and more about punishing those knights who allow their faith to wane and fail to seek the Lady's Blessing...

HurrDurr
14-08-2013, 21:49
Wood elf lvl 4, last shot before i end my turn. eh only thing i can see is a steam tank and it takes
an avg of 70 or so shots to wound, oh well ill fire my shot.

she hits
rolls 6 to wound
tank fails its 1+ save causing it to lose its first wound
the next turn the engineer didnt spot the critical weakness in the boiler had been hit, the tank explodes
nearby statetroops are heavily damaged in the blast
a unit of greatswords are almost wiped out.

Maoriboy007
15-08-2013, 05:33
My Mortis Engine...always makes the game interesting. Powers through my spells while sucking my wizards or their levels into the warp, on the rare occasion screams off a small unwary unit or character, my favourite use is the desperate charge turn 5-6 blowing up from combat res taking half the table with it...

SteveW
15-08-2013, 06:19
I had a Dragon Prince champion with enchanted shield and ogreblade take out a chaos lord.

King Arthur
15-08-2013, 09:59
Speaking of miscasts, I've always felt that in 8th at least the requirement for a lance to surround a Prophetess/Damsel is less about protecting the Favored of the Lady and more about punishing those knights who allow their faith to wane and fail to seek the Lady's Blessing...
The blessing was strong and in full effect although doesn't compensate for appalling rolls such as the time I lost 4 knights to a goblin bolt thrower.

Jim
15-08-2013, 10:07
Just started taking an Wizard Lord LvL 4 on Death mounted on a Pegasus and with a Power Stone.

Last game I played against VC he whizzed around the flanks Purple Sun'ing Ghouls, Crypt Horrors & Zombie hordes to death all the while generating tons more Power Dice to continue to fling Death Snipes at the Vampire and Spirit Hosts.

Was the first time I've really seen a Death Wizard go absolutely mental!

Still lost the game though!

Jim

sigmarus
15-08-2013, 17:22
Last night I played a 4,000 points game of Night Goblins vs Empire. My 12 spear chukkas single handedly won me the game. 420 points of spear chukkas took out karl franz's griffon, a luminark, a celestial, 20+ knights, 2 cannons, a hellblaster, and a few halberdiers. They tripled their points worth in victory points.

Noble Korhedron
15-08-2013, 18:09
Last night I played a 4,000 points game of Night Goblins vs Empire. My 12 spear chukkas single handedly won me the game. 420 points of spear chukkas took out karl franz's griffon, a luminark, a celestial, 20+ knights, 2 cannons, a hellblaster, and a few halberdiers. They tripled their points worth in victory points.How did you run them? Singly? Or in batteries of between 2-4 spear chukkas?

TheDanish
16-08-2013, 00:27
In repeated games, Phoenix Guard prove their worth as a solid and reliable anvil. Throw a BSB near them and they go nowhere.

As for a one-time deal... back in 6th edition I played a game in which my Eagle's Claw Bolt Thrower crew killed two Chosen Chaos Knights. Yea.

igortheugly
16-08-2013, 10:55
Casket of souls - killed nothing with its ability all game then it died by frost phoenix and the ensuing explosion took half the wounds off the phoenix and destroyed the dragon princes nearby. Absolutely priceless!

GenerationTerrorist
16-08-2013, 16:27
In 3000pt+ games, my "Tank" horde unit of 40 MoT Chaos Warriors with Hand Weapon, Shields, Full Command and Razor Standard is always my MVP. Smack bang in the centre of my line (or anchoring a whole flank by themselves), basically daring anyone to charge in and try to shift them and the arc of control they have over the 12+ inches around their position.
Nowhere near the most shiny thing in my list, but without them, the rest of my army would fail to function.

quietus1986
21-08-2013, 05:47
my terrorgheist its weard. even against cannon list it seams to do great. I lost say it took me almost a year to get realy good with it do. but sins then its done some great things for me peaple seam to under estemait it a bit.

Matt1982
21-08-2013, 16:27
Tempted to go with my Great Brayshaman but I think in truth it's my Wargor BSB the guy holds the army together, got to love the rerolls and with the way I build him the dude is a tank, everybody who's played me once doesn't bother assigning attacks to him any more :)

Noble Korhedron
21-08-2013, 17:43
Tempted to go with my Great Brayshaman but I think in truth it's my Wargor BSB the guy holds the army together, got to love the rerolls and with the way I build him the dude is a tank, everybody who's played me once doesn't bother assigning attacks to him any more :)Has nobody ever managed to snipe him with magic or target him with one of these so-called "unkillable" character builds? :confused::cool:

abdulaapocolyps
21-08-2013, 20:31
Odd that anyone would underestimate a Terrorgiest!
My chaos lord, Druug Warfiend.he goes with the unkillable build and a unit of knights with banner of swiftness.I pointed him at basically anything and charged him out of the unit, letting my knights lose elsewhere.
He run over so many things...
I sometimes use my mates goblins and my lord, the chairman of the goblin liberation front, is THE man.he refuses to use night gobbos OR manglers but his trusty gobs have yet to fail a LD test... Because they live for the cause! Viva la GLF!!

The Odor
22-08-2013, 00:42
Haven't played with the new Warriors book but in the old one it was my extra Exalted hero. He carried the Book of Secrets which could make him a lvl 1 Shadow mage which I used to get Miasma (Love that spell) and also swapping places with him and my Sorc lord if the sorcerer got threatend from something, like a big monster or a fighty lord.

Hillariously this Exalted would then go a head and whoop what ever was threatning the sorcerer. He killed Stegs, Slaans (With full temple guard followings), grail knights, Blood Knights, tooled up warrior lords from almost every race, dragons, Shaggoths and Archaon himself (probably an imposter...;)) .

Towards the end of the books reign people just left my Sorcerer lord alone if the exalted was within 18".

Probably the one thing I miss the most from the old book... Okay I miss a lot of things...

stonehorse
22-08-2013, 01:53
Units of 8-10 Leadbelchers. I have 24 in total, and they always pay for themselves either in shooting, or in clubbing things to death. They also have a massive psychological impact upon most opponents. I never leave the Mountains of Mourn with out at least one unit.

Ayin
22-08-2013, 05:14
Historically for my Dogs of War, it would have to be my Duelists. WS4 I4 skirmishers with pistol and hand weapon, they have put real hurt on things in the past, but more commonly then that they do what skirmishers do, and save my line. For the rest of the army, although I have only ever killed ONE THING with it, my Cannon is great. i would love it if the Hot Pot could pull something off, but it never has.

In my recent games, my GW armed Ogres, a unit of 6-8, combined with some light cav and running interference and Cannons, they are pretty much the one thing that gives me a chance against my buddies Demons.

DarKolia
22-08-2013, 10:08
Hi

In my last game, the witch hunter + ring of volan saved the day (helped kill the general and killed a unit of hexwraith)...
For barely less than a hundred points, I will not go without it from now...

Noble Korhedron
22-08-2013, 11:25
Hi

In my last game, the witch hunter + ring of volan saved the day (helped kill the general and killed a unit of hexwraith)...
For barely less than a hundred points, I will not go without it from now...How much is the Ring of Volans these days? I know the points of pretty much everything were adjusted when the new book came out.

Lord Solar Plexus
22-08-2013, 12:43
It costs 6 Spearmen without shields.

It's difficult to name one model or unit as an MVP for Empire. Not even the Stank usually falls into that category, most of the stuff works together in an elaborate fashion (or not and then it goes down from there). Captasus comes close and Pistoliers. TGM with Runefang is usually nice, too but much improved with a Hurri, as are DGK. I think the Hurri is usually a staple in my lists.

mostlyharmless
22-08-2013, 13:14
My level 2 Slaaneshi Sorcerer on Steed of Slaanesh. He managed to single-handedly take out around 1500 points of WoC khorne chariots and knights with one casting of Cacophonic Choir. He pulls his guitar out of hammer space, plays an a minor chord, and chariots explode. The awesome thing was, I just barely hit the casting value.

KaldorDraigo
24-08-2013, 22:48
My Wood Elf Highborn
Alter Kindred, Ogre Blade, Armour of Destiny, Shield.

His sole purpose? Waltzing up to a Level 4 and decking him. The thing is, he usually misreads the job description. He waltzed into a sword master unit, politely introduced Teclis to a beating Greenpeace style, then spread the joy to his unit over a few turns.

Noble Korhedron
24-08-2013, 23:05
My Wood Elf Highborn
Alter Kindred, Ogre Blade, Armour of Destiny, Shield.

His sole purpose? Waltzing up to a Level 4 and decking him. The thing is, he usually misreads the job description. He waltzed into a sword master unit, politely introduced Teclis to a beating Greenpeace style, then spread the joy to his unit over a few turns.*cracks up laughing*