PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question, but what is the difference between the Red Thirst and Black Rage?

dram
11-08-2013, 12:18
I've read the lexicanum pages for the Blood Angels' gene-seed flaws, but I'm still having trouble telling the difference between them.

Fear Ghoul
11-08-2013, 12:40
The Red Thirst is a Blood Angel's constant thirst for blood, hence the name and the denigration "Vampire" sometimes given to them. Those who succumb completely to the Red Thirst are locked (I believe) in the Tower of Amareo, where their howls of rage can be heard for miles around. The Black Rage is what happens when a Blood Angel starts believing they are Sanguinius aboard the Vengeful Spirit. In this state they become hyper-aggresive, nigh uncontrollable, and imbued with some small portion of their Primarch's power. Such unfortunates are inducted into the Death Company, where they are used as shock troops by the Blood Angels. Death Company members never survive the battle, because the Blood Angels themselves will kill any not felled by the enemies guns, and which is seen as a mercy killing.

Lothlanathorian
11-08-2013, 12:52
Nailed it in one.

SpanielBear
14-08-2013, 02:25
Speaking of which, assuming the red-thirst is a flaw in the geneseed that developed after Sanguinius died, it shows remarkable foresight on his part to have named his chapter "Blood Angels". It would have been dead confusing if they had been the "Remorseless Angels" or something instead.

Rufiodies
14-08-2013, 03:43
Ok, issue with this explanation

In "Fear to Tread" Sanguinius has to put down one of his own marines after the dude goes ape crazy, which would lead us to believe that marines were going crazy way before Sanguinius got stomped by Horus. I really don't see a difference between the two here. It seemed to be the same type of crazy, with the same type of mercy killing after the battle.
Am I way off here?

Grenzstein
14-08-2013, 03:51
Ok, issue with this explanation

In "Fear to Tread" Sanguinius has to put down one of his own marines after the dude goes ape crazy, which would lead us to believe that marines were going crazy way before Sanguinius got stomped by Horus. I really don't see a difference between the two here. It seemed to be the same type of crazy, with the same type of mercy killing after the battle.
Am I way off here?

He did go crazy, yeah. However it was more 'grr I'm a vampire', and less role-playing that they're Sanguinius in his final moments.

Well, that, and the Black Rage seems to grant them some terrifying physical capabilities. It's like PCP for Astartes.

Lord Squidar
14-08-2013, 06:13
Theres no reason why the Blood Angels would have had that flaw BEFORE Sanguinius died, not all of the primarchs were created equal or perfect. The other glaring example we have is Lemun Russ, there were Wulfen around at the time of the great crusade, they knew his geneseed was not entirely stable. The major difference is that in those times, they could afford a few mutations because there was lots of geneseed and lots more recruits, and the effects of the warp/mutation were not known yet. in 40K, flaw in the geneseed causes the Inquisition to get upset about mutation and they have wanted to put down the wolves and blood angels for a while. Also geneseed is far more rare now, as are recruits and so on.

blackcherry
14-08-2013, 09:03
It may have been that Sanguinius was hiding those few that were manifesting the Red Thirst before he died and the chapter in its higher command structures was covering up a flaw in the gene seed. After his death, there was less organisation and the flaw became more pronounced. Or else, perhaps due to his death, which was said to become etched into the memories of all the Blood Angels. That in turn suggests (however stupid or unlikely) that the image of his death was passed down genetically via the geneseed as a sort of 'genetic memory' and causing the flaw in the geneseed to flare up more often.

Just guessing here really :p. One of the themes of the Heresy is that all of the Primarchs could have fallen or resisted Chaos, as at heart, they all has the seeds of corruption within them. That the Blood Angels, Raven Guard and the Space Wolves didn't, despite the existence of flaws in their geneseed that helps create squads of 'others' that the rest of the chapter fears, speaks very highly of them.

Rogue Star
14-08-2013, 10:34
There was definitely something to the Blood Angels before Sanguinius death. Something often overlooked is the note in Sanguinius childhood on Baal Secundus, when his adopted tribe were ambushed by mutants, "Sanguinius slew them all single-handedly, although they numbered over a hundred. This was the first time the members of The Blood had ever seen the Angel truly angry, for he felt his comrades' lives were in danger. When the blood-rage overtook him he was indeed terrible to behold. The full powers of a Primarch came upon him and a nimbus of light played about his head,".

RagingScots
14-08-2013, 20:43
All the former posts are correct. The Red Thirst was present in the blood angels chapter before Sanguinius's death. The Black Rage on the other hand is a psychic scar imprinted on all blood angels gene seed. The first presence of it is mentioned in "Fear to Tread" when Sanguinius is injured and the blood angels go crazy. Sanguinius death at the hands of horus let out a psychic shockwave that affected all the living blood angels with the black rage.