PDA

View Full Version : High Elf army comp questions from a returning player

heliodorus04
12-08-2013, 19:24
I had planned on building an army around a Loremaster of Hoeth (with the book of hoeth magic item), and I have a wide range of other hero models available (including a Handmaiden of the Everqueen, and an entire second Prince on Dragon model).

I am a person who really enjoys the modeling side, and that's why the Loremaster of Hoeth appeals to me so strongly (so try not to tell me I'm not playing mathhammer well in choosing that Lord).

In coming to the new edition, I see why hordes are so important, and I bought enough Phoenix Guard to make a 40-model horde block of them, probably to protect the Loremaster/benefit from ward saves in any miscasts.

I'm curious what people think good army compositions are given the models i have available.
I really want to paint a handmaiden and 15 sisters of avelorn, protected by the horde of phoenix guard and maybe another horde of spearmen. I think it would make a pretty army.

I am very curious what magic items I should use to protect the Loremaster; that becomes a diffficult choice.

I played with my high elf army in 2007, when the last book was new, then started grad school, and gave it up until a couple weeks ago.
I've played one game (a 1200+1200 HE+Bretonnnia vs 2400 Chaos) team game. I have a limited army selection (painted) but it's growing fast.
My core army (painted) consists of 60 spearmen, 16 Silver Helms, and 2 bolt throwers.
Soon to join the painted cadre are 29 Swordmasters and a Dragonmage of Caledor

Available for building are 40 Phoenix Guard, 15 Sisters of Avelorn (possibly 20, but I planned for 15, w 5 going to the Shadow Warriors)
12-17 Shadow warriors, 12-15 Illyrian Reavers, 10 Dragon Princes of Caledor, 3 Chariots, 1 Lion Chariot
(what can I say, I bought a lot in 2007)

Where to swordmasters fit in the scheme of things in the new editions? I always liked the models, but they no longer "always" always strike first.
Chariots, particularly a 3-model block of them, might be an interesting horde breaker, but who knows.

Thanks for any insights you can give me.

MR. GRUMPY
12-08-2013, 20:12
Swordmasters got weaker, Phoenix guards got stronger. White Lions is arguably still the most useful unit out of the 3. I still run 7x3 swordmasters with a high mage to great effect but if I was to build a tournament army with no restrictions (I play comped) I think 20-30 white lions with botwd and (if you run a inf based army) 25 or so PG with razor standard.

I like sisters, I run them in two units of 6 myself. Theres great debate exactly how useful they are and it depends a lot on the list, meta etc but overall a decent choice nontheless.

The big no-brainer of the new book is Frost phoenix so you can always get one of those. From a hobby perspective its a great model to so cant go wrong with it!

And if you like spearmen then run spearmen but silver helms being core along with reavers to now is pretty darn awesome.

My initial thoughts.. cheers.

hobbs3023
12-08-2013, 20:15
i have found that two groups of 15 sisters of avelorn is huge....

heliodorus04
12-08-2013, 21:35
Swordmasters got weaker, Phoenix guards got stronger. White Lions is arguably still the most useful unit out of the 3. I still run 7x3 swordmasters with a high mage to great effect but if I was to build a tournament army with no restrictions (I play comped) I think 20-30 white lions with botwd and (if you run a inf based army) 25 or so PG with razor standard.

I like sisters, I run them in two units of 6 myself. Theres great debate exactly how useful they are and it depends a lot on the list, meta etc but overall a decent choice nontheless.

The big no-brainer of the new book is Frost phoenix so you can always get one of those. From a hobby perspective its a great model to so cant go wrong with it!

And if you like spearmen then run spearmen but silver helms being core along with reavers to now is pretty darn awesome.

My initial thoughts.. cheers.

Other than inflicting Always Strikes Last (but only in CC), I don't see what the value of the Frost Phoenix really is. What am I missing? Same for it's flame counterpart. Too much randomness in its turn-to-turn utility, unreliable armor save, no ward. My other army is Lizardmen (again, no experience with the new rules let alone the new book) but if you want Monsters, I see the Dragon as the way to go (bear in mind, I have two of the models, so that my influence this notion in my head).

Ironically, White Lions are, or were, models I didn't like, but the new plastics are actually nice. Still, since I'm laying out a LOT of money on new High Elves and soon, new Lizardmen models, backtracking to buy the White Lions is a low priority. How can I maximize the usefulness of the Swordmasters I have, because they're really quite well painted.

What is a good sized unit of Silver Helms to run? It seems the game, where I play at least, has moved up to about a 2500 point standard size; in the past it was 2K only, with a lot of smaller games going on. Hordes of made bigger sized games more manageable, I think (which I like).

What about trying to keep a Loremaster of Hoeth alive (with a book of Hoeth, so only 45 points to spend on magic items).

boli
12-08-2013, 23:02
Frost Phoenix give -1S as well and multiple frosts will stack. With a combo charge with another unit basically gives the HE unit +1T +1AS. Very powerful.

Flame Phoenix real handy for bus units (slave slaves, night goblins).

Lord Dan
12-08-2013, 23:17
Any monster with a built in ward save and an effective +1T is a steal, especially when it has a high probability of getting even stronger (thanks to the Attuned to Magic rule) and when it boasts Moon Dragon stats at a fraction of the price.

As for your Loremaster I would either slap on a 4++, or give him a 5++ and put him in a unit with the BoTWD.