PDA

View Full Version : Critique my new Vampire list! [2500]

Rypher
13-08-2013, 02:07
Hey y'all. After a few tries with my old tournament list, I decided to change it up a bit. C&C please. It might be spreading itself too thin, so let me know what else I could do.

Lords
Vampire Level 4 [Vampires], Heavy Armour & Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Ogreblade, Red Fury, Quickblood, Beguile, Hellsteed

Heroes
Necromancer Level 2 [Death], Cursed Book
Necromancer Level 2 [Vampires], Dispel Scroll
Cairn Wraith

Core
20 Crypt Ghouls Crypt Ghast
20 Crypt Ghouls Crypt Ghast
41 Zombies Musician & Standard bearer
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves

Special
10 Hexwraiths Hellwraith
6 Crypt Horrors Haunter

Rare
Terrorgheist
Mortis Engine

From the start, the Lord is near either the terrorgheist or the hexwraiths, for marching and/or LoS if needed. He'll eventually join the Horrors in combat or get a double charge with the hexwraiths.
I was considering just hording the ghouls (who will have the Wraith & Deathmancer), nab a few more zombies (with the Necromancer), and call it a day.
I've tried a BK bus, but I find the hexwraiths do much more for me.

spagg
13-08-2013, 04:42
I would definitely combine the ghouls. 20 is not enough in a unit.

Juicy21
13-08-2013, 08:25
combine the gouls into 2 horde units that unit can take care of itself.
mounting your lord makes it a easy target for cannons be carefull

AM1640
15-08-2013, 21:34
I would love to play your list at a tourny, easy massacre. Your lord on a mount all by his lonesome would be easy pickings, I can charge it with just about anything with static combat res and wait for you to have a bad dice round. Highly recommend you take him of the steed and put him in a unit.
The ghouls are ok once you combine them into a single unit. I have yet to see them tear apart a decent enemy unit. maybe they can with the wraith, but don't put your necromancer in a combat unit unless you want him to die.
41 zombies??? 20 is enough for a bunker and the unit will grow. Don't even pretend that these guys can go into combat against anything better than a goblin. Sure you can build them up but they will lose combat and crumble faster than you can raise them up again.
Why keep the hexwraiths in a unit of 10(harder to manuever) vs 2 units of 5 (easier to manuever, attack multiple targets) and why have the unit champ? I doubt you conduct frontal assaults with this unit. I hope you don't conduct frontal assaults with this unit.

huitzilopochtli
17-08-2013, 01:39
I would say ditch the cursed book and pick up the book of arkhan. You have 8 levels of magic in that list. If you let the book eat D3 dice each turn you're not going to have enough for your actual wizards. The book of arkhan can meanwhile be cast fairly reliably on one dice. Keep your opponent guessing as you save one dice for the end - will he save one (maybe 2) of his own to dispel it? Or throw it out at the beginning of the phase to draw some dispels (he can't afford the 1/3 chance of failing on one dice and losing the +4 to dispel for the rest of your spells, so he will almost certainly use two dispel dice if you get it off). Book of arkhan would also be a boost to your ghouls and crypt horrors (re-rolling for poison), and your hexwraiths (who get to run through everyone one more time).

The others above have it nailed - horde the ghouls and drop the zombies to 20. And 2 units of hexwraiths is better than one. Regarding the hellwraith, I disagree with AM1640. I think the unit has real combat potential as there are a lot of things that simply can't hurt them back. Horde of trolls? Flaming S5 attacks. Unit in a building? Re-rolls to wound. Enemy knights? No armour saves. Frontal assault ho!

As for your lord, yeah. He may be a bit vulnerable to cannon fire, stone throwers, and every missile that can reach him. Stick him in a unit on foot or get him a black knight bodyguard. Does he really need to fly?

Rypher
25-08-2013, 04:42
Thanks for the advice, y'all. Taken into consideration and I'm just going to change up the list entirely. Something along the lines of this:

Lords
Vampire Level 4, Heavy Armour & Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Ogreblade, Red Fury, Quickblood, Beguile, Barded Nightmare

Heroes
Necromancer Level 2 Wizard, Book of Arkhan
Necromancer Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

Core
40 Crypt Ghouls Crypt Ghast
45 Zombies Musician & Standard bearer
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves

Special
5 Hexwraiths Hellwraith
5 Hexwraiths Hellwraith
10 Black Knights Barding, Lances, Standard of Swiftness, Hell Knight

Rare
Terrorgheist
Terrorgheist

Many of y'all suggested that I drop the zombies down to 20. The only problem there is that it's 70 points instead of the 145 that I'm spending now, and not nearly enough to fill out my obligatory core points. The other option would be to grab 20 skeletons for the same price, but I find the zombies are much better for sticking around. Combat resolution be damned, I like having an almost guaranted +3 rank bonus.

I'll try the hexwraiths as two groups, running in front of the knight bus with the lord and flanked with one or two terrorgheists as needed. I ran them as a unit of 10 earlier in order to run through something and then charge later on into a flank or rear, allowing for disruption and a lot less worrying about combat res with my other units. Since I do charge on the sides, a hellwraith isn't a bad investment. Plus, I have the points to spare.

Any other thoughts now? I like the faster cavalry feel of this list already.

Maoriboy007
25-08-2013, 09:05
Thanks for the advice, y'all. Taken into consideration and I'm just going to change up the list entirely. Something along the lines of this:

Lords
Vampire Level 4, Heavy Armour & Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Ogreblade, Red Fury, Quickblood, Beguile, Barded Nightmare

Heroes
Necromancer Level 2 Wizard, Book of Arkhan
Necromancer Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

Core
40 Crypt Ghouls Crypt Ghast
45 Zombies Musician & Standard bearer
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves

Special
5 Hexwraiths Hellwraith
5 Hexwraiths Hellwraith
10 Black Knights Barding, Lances, Standard of Swiftness, Hell Knight

Rare
Terrorgheist
Terrorgheist

Many of y'all suggested that I drop the zombies down to 20. The only problem there is that it's 70 points instead of the 145 that I'm spending now, and not nearly enough to fill out my obligatory core points. The other option would be to grab 20 skeletons for the same price, but I find the zombies are much better for sticking around. Combat resolution be damned, I like having an almost guaranted +3 rank bonus.

I'll try the hexwraiths as two groups, running in front of the knight bus with the lord and flanked with one or two terrorgheists as needed. I ran them as a unit of 10 earlier in order to run through something and then charge later on into a flank or rear, allowing for disruption and a lot less worrying about combat res with my other units. Since I do charge on the sides, a hellwraith isn't a bad investment. Plus, I have the points to spare.

Any other thoughts now? I like the faster cavalry feel of this list already.

Split the zombies into 2 units of 20 with a standard each, its handy for blood and glory, and you get more value from Invocations if you keep them together, essentially getting 4D6 worth of models instead of 2D6. Otherwise a fairly solid list. Hexwraiths are awesome, and in a pinch they will give a Look out sir to the Vampire if he has to leave the Knight unit as long as hes within 3