NG BB BSB w/ Standard of Discipline, shield and light armor
NG Shaman Level 2

NG x70 w/ spears, standard, musician, nets, x1 fanatic
NG x70 w/ spears, standard, musician, nets, x1 fanatic
NG x40 w/ bows, standard, musician, x1 fanatic
NG x40 w/ bows, standard, musician, x1 fanatic

NG Squig Herd w/ x15 Squigs, x25 Herders

2000pts after 15 NGs removed for character placement

It's tidy, painted, and WYSiWYG. But my meta is a full-up dwarf gunline w/ gyros, the best showing ever was a mutual slaughter. The only thing I can say about it is it can take a beating. Just how in difficulty am I actually?

thomas
15-08-2013, 23:50
If you want to win any battles add warmachines, mangler squigs and trolls....

normalphil
16-08-2013, 02:47
Pretty sure I don't need trolls at all; Big Boss reinforced spear blocks seem to win fights when they get in them (particularly with a bit of Little-Waagh magic) and like I said, I've noticed that they can take quite a beating. Not sure what a Mangler can do that enough fanatics can't do. It would be really nice to be able to reliably counter-battery warmachines with little-waaagh magic again but those days are done; that's spear blocks and it's ugly by the time it gets done. Do you have a more discreet recommendation for that?

sigmarus
19-08-2013, 16:40
If this list is going against dwarves, I would really invest in a Ironcurse Icon for your main unit. For 5 points, it will save many goblin's lives.

thrawn
19-08-2013, 21:21
If this list is going against dwarves, I would really invest in a Ironcurse Icon for your main unit. For 5 points, it will save many goblin's lives.

that's a good suggestion. also i wouldn't worry too much about artillery, what's he going to kill, 3 point gobbos? take the iron curse cross cause it'll pay for itself in one turn, but even if he does kill gobbos it shouldn't be a problem.

outbreak
19-08-2013, 23:44
if all your playing is dwarfs it may not be too terrible but even then if he takes some gyros, flame canons and grudge throwers you could be in trouble. Up against most other armies though (especially ANYTHING that can cause panic checks) i don't know if this list would do much of anything.

If you wanted a more balanced list i think it'd need to look at manglers, trolls, warmachines, giants etc and be more of a night goblins and friends theme or just a more powerful night goblin tribe that can have tag a long monsters. My big annoyance is that apart from skarsnik a NG army is stuck with terrible leadership (even with a standard of discipline) in my lists I don't want to take a common gobbo warboss so I really wish they'd made some rule where if you have no orcs in your list you can upgrade you night goblin/common goblin warboss to a crafty boss or something and have him get +1 or 2 leadership and maybe +1 toughness to represent the fact that he's managed to raise a substantial waaagh all on his own. They'd still have bad leadership in warhammer as whole (plus if you leave a unit outside the generals range and it's hit with a panic spell or something it's screwed) but it would help out a bit.

normalphil
07-09-2013, 20:54
Thanks, all. Heeding.

(This is also my travel list, which is why there's such things as a dispel scroll and simple storage and transport is a consideration.) Last edition I was once close to tabled on my first turn without one weapon raised or shot fired by anyone. I can't sing enough praises for squig herds, and it's a pity snottlings are as useless as they are (...I've five bases...). Putting Skarsnik in a 2000 point list isn't trivial. If I don't compromise my magic, the 9 point leadership bubble means there's at least one substantial unit making do with a 6.

Circling around all this is having in ones mind's eye phalanxes of night goblins rattling their spear-shafts on shields and screeching a rythmic "Waaagh! Waaagh! Waaagh!" in staccato beat, seeing how far they can take remedial organization and remedial organization alone. To get that half-way across the table unsmushed by Monstrous Monsters or run off by flying lizards or nocturnal mammals is worth the mental contortions of hiring a few warmachines, though.

My proposed solution to a "yeah, this is never going to work" conclusion is to get a Black Orc Warboss, some boxes of Black Orcs, a brace of Rock Lobbas, and run a Black Orc cadre trying to use regimented Night Goblins- essentially making the meta the actual.

Jind_Singh
23-09-2013, 01:44
Personally I like it - but to make it a bit more balanced (for you) I would have...

1) Had a single unit of 100 NG with spears or whatever - loaded with some big bosses as my main 'shoot me' unit
2) Back it up with 2 units of 50 NG with 2 characters each
3) 2 squig Herds with 15 squigs, 10 herders
4) Manglers
5) Squig Hoppers (Still make a mess of warmachines)

And then run up the board and hope your Shaman has the luck needed to blast his lines apart!