PDA

View Full Version : Themed Vampire Counts 2500

agurus1
17-08-2013, 08:19
ok so we are starting up a little campaign around my local area and I wanted to fine tune my list. here goes, I'm trying to stick to a theme while retaining competitive ability. Maybe I should talk about the theme first so you know what is essential and what isn't lol:

THEME: Haakon (Vampire Lord)is a disciple of Wallach who escaped the Siege of Blood Keep, and now wanders the roads of the old world, whilst deep within the Drakwald, he came (unwittingly) to the aid of the Forest Spirits there by decimating the local beastmen clans. Theses spirits, long twisted by eons long struggles in the depths of the forest believed that the bodies the Vampire hung upon their oldest tree were offerings and signs of a symbiotic pact. Over time, the vampire hung many corpses from that tree, beastmen, brettonian and imperial knights... all who crossed his path he dragged their bodies to the tree. The souls of these corpses, denied a proper burial or ritual, clung to the dark tree and were soon harnessed by their killer's powers. Soon the Tree of Woe - as it became known- (Mortis Engine) began to exhibit life once more, after so many dormant millennia, though now it thirsted for the souls of mortals, and the twisted Dyrads (Vamp Hero, and Blood Knights) that now held court with Haakon beneath its boughs were more than happy to oblige. Together, and with myriad undead creatures drawn by the pooling of Dark Magic deep in the Drakwald, and the now mobile ancient tree bedecked with the Haakon's victims they swept from beneath the dark foliage and out into the Old World, a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Ok so now on to the army list, right now it sits right at 2,476 points:

Lords:
Haakon - Blood Dragon Champion (Vampire Lord) 543
Barded Nightmare, Shield, Heavy Armour, The Other Trickster's Shard, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance, Ogre Blade, Red Fury, Quickblood, SCotN, and Level 4 LoV

Heroes:
Necromancer - 125
Dispel Scroll, Level 2 LoV

Necromancer - 100
Forbidden Rod, Level 1 LoV

Chief Dryad (Vampire) - 290
Barded Nightmare, Shield, Heavy Armour, Lance, BSB, Obsidian Amulet, Power Stone, Fear Incarnate, Aura of Dark Majesty, Level 2 Shadow

Core:
50 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast 510

6 Dire Wolves w/ Doom Wolf 58

Special:
3 x 2 Bat Swarms 210

2 Fell Bats 32

Rare:
4 Blood Knights (Dryads) - 310
Muscian, Standard Bearer, Kastellan, Flag of Blood Keep

Mortis Engine (Tree of Woe) - 240
Blasphemous Tomb

Basically the plan here is to draw out opponents more important drops. Blood Knights go last on the flank that it seems I can most likely get a flank, surrounded by the bats & wolves. first turn get off a good invocation on them to bump em up and then take a flank hopefully. while the ghouls and mortis engine hold another flank.

Alternative list (I kinda favor it more, has a fear bombish thing going on and a harder anvil I think to hold that flank while my Vampires wipe up one side). Sits pretty at 2,497

Lords:
Haakon Blood Dragon Champion (Vampire Lord) - 553
Barded Nightmare, Shield, Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance, The Other Trickster's Shard, Red Fury, Quickblood, Fear Incarnate, Level 4 LoV

Heroes:
Necromancer - 125
Dispel Scroll, Level 2 LoV

Necromancer - 100
Forbidden Rod, Level 1 LoV

Chief Dryad (Vampire) - 290
Barded Nightmare, Shield, Heavy Armour, Lance, BSB, Book of Arkhan, Obsidian Trinket, Aura of Dark Majesty, Supernatural Horror, Level 2 Lore of Shadows

Core:
50 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast 510

6 Dire Wolves 48

Special:
6 Crypt Horrors (Perhaps converted Treekin models?) 228

2 Bat Swarms 70

Rare:
4 Blood Knights (Dryads) - 300
Standard Bearer, Kastellan, Flag of Blood Keep

Mortis Engine (Tree of Woe) - 240
Blasphemous Tomb

Basic strategy is that the Ghouls and Crypt Horrors hold the middle/a flank (with the Mortis Engine and Necromancers keeping their buffs going/IoN) while the Blood Knights w/ Vampires and the Batswarms+Dire Wolves swing up a flank eating units. I like the way that my points are spent here better, as well as the fact that the Book with the Blood Knights will make it easier to position myself to roll up someones flank rather than busting through a line and than taking another turn to simply turn around and do it all over again. But I do like the theme of tons of bats and stuff swarming out from a forest lol.

Anyway, thoughts? C&C welcome!

Lordcypress
17-08-2013, 15:54
You don't have enough blood knights. 4 is way too small. The very first shot you take from anything and you'll have to start randomizing between regular troops and characters. Also take out all of those batswarms. Replace them with spirit hosts. 3 individual spirit hosts are fare more effective and still give those deployment drops. Also you could save yourself a few points by making your one necromancer with the scroll a level 1. You already have lots of casters in this army. I think you'll be hard pressed to get them all casting spells every turn with the way power dice are generated now. Just keep as a scroll caddy.

agurus1
18-08-2013, 07:40
which list is the better one to work off of? 1 or 2? I see the point you have with the greater than 5 man unit of Blood Knights although in my meta, there aren't very many high strength shooting like cannons or catapults.

If I used list 2, wouldn't it be good to keep the crypt horrors?

agurus1
19-08-2013, 18:30
no other comments? are bat swarms really not viable? I wanted to run them alongside the blood knights to get them to strike first against most enemies :)