PDA

View Full Version : What happens if the unit being charged is destroyed?

Sinsigel
17-08-2013, 16:33
These are the things happened in today's tournament.
My unit of reavers charged skaven warpfire thrower, which opted to stand and shoot.
It however misfired and blew itself up, i.e., destroyed.

Now, my reaver has no target for charging save for the clanrat unit which stood next to
removed fire thrower. in this case, must my reaver redirect the charge to nearest unit(i.e. clanrats),
or are my reavers free to move since their original target is now gone?

Spiney Norman
17-08-2013, 16:49
You won't be able to move as normal, once you have declared a charge you are committed to it. If your target is no longer there you will fail your charge unless you manage to redirect into something else because there is no way your unit can move into B2B with the target of your charge.

The only problem with that is you are only allowed to redirect into another unit if the unit you have charged chooses flee as their charge reaction, so I think by RAW in this situation you have an automatic failed charge.

King Arthur
18-08-2013, 10:42
What about if you are already in combat and the unit gets destroyed by magic such as shield of thorns would they get a reform or overrun move?

Spiney Norman
18-08-2013, 13:23
What about if you are already in combat and the unit gets destroyed by magic such as shield of thorns would they get a reform or overrun move?

Not that I am aware of, you certainly can't overrun unless you wipe out the enemy in combat (not including wounds caused by unstable - thanks FAQ).

I can't recall any rules that would allow you to reform if the unit you are fighting is wiped out before the close combat round but I don't actually have my book handy to check ATM.

Artiee
18-08-2013, 15:18
It would be a failed charge, since there is no unit left to complete the charge against. You can only redirect if the unit flees.

Blinder
18-08-2013, 15:35
Not that I am aware of, you certainly can't overrun unless you wipe out the enemy in combat (not including wounds caused by unstable - thanks FAQ).

I can't recall any rules that would allow you to reform if the unit you are fighting is wiped out before the close combat round but I don't actually have my book handy to check ATM.

Also don't have the book at hand but page 7 of the English rulebook FAQ indicates that when a unit completes a charge but the target implodes before combat (Shield of Thorns or similar), you get a reform/overrun before any other combats happen (it's the entry right after they went back and decided Unstable *does* allow overrun). Doesn't help in the case of the exploding warp fire thrower, Spiney and Artiee have the right of it, but at least the thing is also dead in that case.

Blkc57
18-08-2013, 15:52
Also don't have the book at hand but page 7 of the English rulebook FAQ indicates that when a unit completes a charge but the target implodes before combat (Shield of Thorns or similar), you get a reform/overrun before any other combats happen (it's the entry right after they went back and decided Unstable *does* allow overrun). Doesn't help in the case of the exploding warp fire thrower, Spiney and Artiee have the right of it, but at least the thing is also dead in that case.

Here ya go Blinder you can just quote the FAQ it answers the Shield of Thorns question exactly.

Q: If I charge an enemy and they are wiped out before the Close Combat phase, can I choose to either Overrun or Reform From Victory? If I can, when does this occur? (p58) A: Yes. This occurs at the start of the Close Combat phase before any blows have been struck.

Artiee
18-08-2013, 17:16
That FAQ has no bearing on this question. The target of the charge was destroyed before the charging unit was able to charge.

Blkc57
18-08-2013, 22:04
That FAQ has no bearing on this question. The target of the charge was destroyed before the charging unit was able to charge.

It wasn't posted in reference to the original question but in relation to the question about Shield of Thorns that is in this thread. If you read the thread you'll understand the the conversation.

bigbiggles
19-08-2013, 05:21
As to the original question. I think it should be an automatic failed charge. It is quite scary to watch a small weapons team explode after all