PDA

View Full Version : Forge World top ten bestsellers July 2013

Bigglesworth
19-08-2013, 18:22
Given how little sales data GW give out its interesting to see any, but FW seem to think this is a useful marketing exercise.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Forge_World_July_Best_Sellers_2013.html

Not a shock that new Horus Heresy releases make up the top of the list, but its rather surprising to the see the Vendetta gunship conversion kit as their 9th best selling item. I guess Vendetta spam is still well and truly alive ;)

Lord Damocles
19-08-2013, 19:58
And that, children, is why we don't get Xenos releases very often.

Kijamon
19-08-2013, 20:12

Hard to argue with you. Shame really as some of the Xenos kits are amazing. I love the Lifta Droppa, the daemon stuff, hell even the Dark Eldar stuff they have bothered to do is nice.

Self fulfilling prophecy though, release lots of shinies for SM, sell lots of shinies for SM.

There was never any doubt that Praetor set would be number 1, by far the best thing they've ever produced.

Inquisitor Engel
19-08-2013, 20:15
All this stuff being in the top ten means it makes lots of money and we do get xenos sets occasionally. The profitable stuff pays for the niche stuff and always has. You don't think the Revenants paid for the Phantom do you? No... Warhounds paid for that.

Sgt John Keel
19-08-2013, 20:18
Interesting how the Kheres assault cannon and the close combat weapons sell more than the body, I guess dual Kheres/dual close combat must be the most common configurations by far.

All this stuff being in the top ten means it makes lots of money and we do get xenos sets occasionally. The profitable stuff pays for the niche stuff and always has. You don't think the Revenants paid for the Phantom do you? No... Warhounds paid for that.

So, you're saying that Xenos stuff gets made on (the now apparently dead) 20 % time like Google's experimental things?

TheFang
19-08-2013, 20:28
Interesting how the Kheres assault cannon and the close combat weapons sell more than the body, I guess dual Kheres/dual close combat must be the most common configurations by far.

There's almost half a dozen different Contemptor bodies. Arms will sell way more than the individual bodies.

mostlyharmless
19-08-2013, 20:29

and why Warhammer Forge releases are once in a blue moon.

Sgt John Keel
19-08-2013, 20:32
There's almost half a dozen different Contemptor bodies. Arms will sell way more than the individual bodies.

Aha! Excellent point, totally forgot about the variations.

Hendarion
19-08-2013, 20:40
So you think the xenos kits didn't make more money than it had cost to produce them? That would be some very weird kind of logic for a company to make profit.

Killgore
19-08-2013, 21:27
So you think the xenos kits didn't make more money than it had cost to produce them? That would be some very weird kind of logic for a company to make profit.

This is the same company that made the 40K scale Manta

Bigglesworth
19-08-2013, 22:09
This is the same company that made the 40K scale Manta

And it took the designer nearly a year of working on nothing else but the Manta...

I think they've learned some things since then however. And from what I hear said about it they've sold anything from just 50 to 200+ So its probably not been a loss for them, just not a short term cash cow.

At the very least ignoring the wishes of designers, and potential sales, Some Xenos need to be made just to have a non chaos opposing force for imperial armour books.

Sgt John Keel
19-08-2013, 22:43
At the very least ignoring the wishes of designers, and potential sales, Some Xenos need to be made just to have a non chaos opposing force for imperial armour books.

That is true, but the format of Imperial Armour Volumes is, after all, a choice they made, presumably for some reason. The first two did not have any opponents, and neither did the softbacks before them.

Inquisitor Engel
20-08-2013, 00:54

Ah, perhaps I worded it poorly. It's not about ACTUAL COST (warhounds don't subsidise the cost of Phantoms)

It's not purely about individual kit profit though, it's about sunk cost and opportunity cost. It takes a much more experienced designer to do GOOD xenos kits, potentially taking much longer to do so. Space Marine kits and IG tanks let Forge World keep the lights on and keep other designers doing things while we get our nice big Eldar superheavies and Tyranid beasties.

Hendarion
20-08-2013, 05:43
Yea, of course, Marines are easy money. And the more of them are sold, the more players have Marine armies and want more of it. A never ending cycle. Funny though that the Necron and Tau book are within the top 10 too. And I doubt it is because of the Marines inside it. I don't see the Horus Heresy book there though. Funny coincidence?
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Space Marines. Just somehow non of them wants to be played in a 30k ruleset.

Inquisitor Engel
20-08-2013, 06:24
I don't see the Horus Heresy book there though. Funny coincidence?

No, the book is almost a year old at this point. The Necron book is the most recent and the IA3 reprint is fresh as well.

Fizzy
20-08-2013, 07:34
. I don't see the Horus Heresy book there though. Funny coincidence?
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Space Marines. Just somehow non of them wants to be played in a 30k ruleset.

A lot are playing them with the 30K ruleset. But a year after the book is released most people of those who want already have it. Now they just need a ton of the heresy models. They dont dont need 5 books for 1 army. But they do need 5 squads of marines and maybe 5 contemptors.

Also Fulgrim is a pretty new release so even though you only need 1 of him he is still being old in large amounts.

Hendarion
20-08-2013, 07:46
Seriously now, because I have no clue about it. Is there really someone playing 30k? Or everyone is just buying the book, drooling at the rules and taking the stuff in 40k? The move from FW to move the 30k stuff into 40k/Apoc-legal entries won't be by chance but with the selling point in mind (not blaming them here).

MiyamatoMusashi
20-08-2013, 08:06
<Puts hand up> I'm playing HH. Our entire gaming group is. Not in favour of 40K, or anything, but alongside it. (In fact if anything it seems to have replaced Warhammer in our group, which no-one is interested in any more - not that that's due to HH, it's due to Warhammer 8th Ed being a dreadful game and the army books being uninspired - if HH hadn't come along, maybe we'd just have played more 40K instead, or maybe a few more of us might have tried Warmahordes; only a few of us are playing that at the moment... sady).

Kijamon
20-08-2013, 08:17
I've got a few legion armies on the go but the gaming opportunities are slim to nil at the moment.

I've kept my Space Wolves unassembled until they get their book so I don't mess up and miss out on any upgrade kits that are rumoured. I've got my Imperial Fists starting now that will be as close to 40k as possible so I can use them as my first generic SM army (woo!) and my World Eaters are all but finished. They will be nearly impossible to put in to any 40k codex, I might put the army list up and see if any one can manage to put them in one in the most effective fashion.

Poseidal
20-08-2013, 08:50
Seriously now, because I have no clue about it. Is there really someone playing 30k? Or everyone is just buying the book, drooling at the rules and taking the stuff in 40k? The move from FW to move the 30k stuff into 40k/Apoc-legal entries won't be by chance but with the selling point in mind (not blaming them here).

Some people around here have picked up Comtemptors and some of the HH figs. Some may own the books but no one ever plays 30k; instead the stuff gets used as proxies (the Contemptors are used frequently as Dinobots, for example).

Hendarion
20-08-2013, 09:54
I will make a poll in 40k general about it, curious now.

Inquisitor Engel
20-08-2013, 13:54
Seriously now, because I have no clue about it.

Come on man, you're smarter than this. Confirmation bias is the enemy of Internet enlightenment. :) I've played a couple of 30k games, as have people in my area. It's a nice change of pace.

Hendarion
20-08-2013, 13:58
You mean Marines versus Marines? :p
Wouldn't it be nice if Forge World not only showed the most sold items, but also the ranking of the highest turnover-items?

Inquisitor Engel
20-08-2013, 14:01
You mean Marines versus Marines? :p
Wouldn't it be nice if Forge World not only showed the most sold items, but also the ranking of the highest turnover-items?

That would be an interesting statistic to see. They definitely PRODUCE more marines, but every time I've been in Lenton and tried to purchase Xenos stuff, they always seem out of stock on at least something and have to ship it to me...

Hendarion
20-08-2013, 14:11
Well, what I mean is that Marine-weapon-kits or infantry-models are more or less cheap compared to other larger stuff which gets sold less often. That could end up in a totally different top-10.

Poseidal
20-08-2013, 14:14
I wish their corsairs were higher quality (I don't mean sculpting quality, I mean design).

They look worse than using pre-WD127 Eldar for Corsairs, and apart from the weapon sculpts (identical to GW for the most part), they look a bit slapdash and don't have the details given to Imperial units.

Inquisitor Engel
20-08-2013, 15:07
Well, what I mean is that Marine-weapon-kits or infantry-models are more or less cheap compared to other larger stuff which gets sold less often. That could end up in a totally different top-10.

Ah gotcha. That would be interesting indeed. I get the impression that Forge World is still primarily made up of people with 'passion' instead of people with business knowledge. I'm not sure there's a "data guy" at FW quite yet, though they're sure to be getting one soon. ;)

I wish their corsairs were higher quality (I don't mean sculpting quality, I mean design).

They look worse than using pre-WD127 Eldar for Corsairs, and apart from the weapon sculpts (identical to GW for the most part), they look a bit slapdash and don't have the details given to Imperial units.

I like the helmets, but dislike the wings. Organic shapes are a little more difficult to give detail to and not have it look silly.