PDA

View Full Version : Sceptre of stability

Sexiest_hero
20-08-2013, 14:05
I've run the Sceptre of stability a few times and man what an Item! I run it on caster lord and it's a great way to shut down two magic phases combined with a scroll caddie or save you is you break concentration when dispelling. It's no longer a question to me this Item will be in any list I make from now on.

The bearded one
20-08-2013, 14:10
The new version of the slann's 'becalming cogitations' is a bit similar in that regard. It allows you to reroll your first failed dispel attempt per phase, meaning you can take a bit of a gamble with how many dice you use at the start of a phase. Very useful to extend your dispel pool to it's maximum potential and avoid catastrophe due to a pathetic dispel roll.

Commodus Leitdorf
20-08-2013, 15:25
The ability to not loose using your Lvl 4 to a failed dispel attempt is worth every penny in my opinion. I don't run a lvl 4 often, but when I do he's packing that.

popisdead
20-08-2013, 18:43
Hmmm thanks for sharing, something to look into.

Phazael
20-08-2013, 19:35
I have been taking this for a while in my Ogre and Brett armies. It is usually on a L2 who is also rocking the crown of command. It is an amazingly good item for the cost and lets you be a little more aggressive with your dispels.

Wesser
21-08-2013, 07:53
Myeah

Personally I practically never run more than one wizard below 4000 pts and a host of items including the inarguably better Dispel Scroll comes before this...

A good item if you spam wizards I sup..

Phazael
21-08-2013, 08:02
Ogres and Bretts get good utility out of their wizards beyond the magic phase, and other armies like to have multiple lores/L2s for various reasons.

The bearded one
21-08-2013, 11:32
Myeah

Personally I practically never run more than one wizard below 4000 pts and a host of items including the inarguably better Dispel Scroll comes before this...

A good item if you spam wizards I sup..

Do take note that if your main wizard fails a dispel roll and breaks his concentration he can't use his scroll during that phase either. Hence why I usually try to fit a lvl4 and a lvl1 in a list.

cycloptic squirrel
22-08-2013, 01:37
It could be observational bias, but I'm was finding myself failing at least one important dispel attempt per game (such as rolling less than 9 on 3d6), the scepter simply mitigates that. In games with only one wizard I've often taken the scepter over the scroll - though it requires a bit of a different approach to the dispel phase.

Rikkjourd
22-08-2013, 05:38
I have used this item i torneys and I like it. Sometimes it changes "I have to throw all my dispel dice at this one particular spell out of three to be sure" into "I can probably dispel two of the three spells he wants this phase". Also great for those times you just happen to do a really crappy roll. Certainly worth its points if you have a spare arcane slot.

Lord Solar Plexus
22-08-2013, 07:36
I usually take the Staff of Sorcery on an L4 and the scroll on an L1 but the sceptre is a close third.

snyggejygge
22-08-2013, 13:00
I like the Sceptre, however the Scroll comes first imo.

theshoveller
22-08-2013, 13:15
I usually take the Staff of Sorcery on an L4 and the scroll on an L1 but the sceptre is a close third.
I'm the reverse - the Staff comes third because of its cost (but I agree entirely on them being the best three choices).

Sexiest_hero
22-08-2013, 14:37
The staff is a little too pricy for me, but I can see why you like it. My lord usually blows himself up 2 diceing miasma so I keep him as cheap as possible.

Soundwave
22-08-2013, 15:59
I am in love with the "Earthing Rod" but hey i misscast on two dice most of the time...

MLP
01-09-2013, 10:44
I've recently been weighing the pros and cons of the sceptre and dispel scroll. I'm starting to favour the sceptre.

The dispel scroll gets you one certain dispel.

The sceptre lets you roll more aggressively for you dispels until you fail one and use it. Which means you can take a little risk and run on good luck for a while, which could last the whole game if you're lucky, Netting you a good few dispels you might not have had if you we're being more conservative and using extra dice to ensure your dispels.

And for 10 points less!

Main issue though is that it has to be taken on your level 4 to be effective, rather than your scroll caddy. This obviously limits magic items.

Any thoughts on this? Is the certainly of the scroll better or the extra risky dispels.

Shimmergloom
01-09-2013, 15:00
If you're only going to have one caster, then you take the scroll. If you are taking a back up, then put the scepter on your lvl 4 and the scroll on your back up.

agurus1
02-09-2013, 07:35
I personally prefer the Forbidden Rod on a Level 1 Necro in my Vamp list ;)

Sexiest_hero
02-09-2013, 18:15
Really? I've toyed with the Idea on goblin shamans or wizards with 4+wounds, but that's just asking to trade 70+ points for a few powerdice, I'd take a powerstone over the forbidden rod.

Soundwave
02-09-2013, 18:35
Really? I've toyed with the Idea on goblin shamans or wizards with 4+wounds, but that's just asking to trade 70+ points for a few powerdice, I'd take a powerstone over the forbidden rod.

Necro lvl 2 with seed of re-birth and forbidden rod hanging near a mortis engine for the win;).

agurus1
02-09-2013, 19:17
It has saved my army many a game. Especially when I roll that dreaded 1/1 for power dice ugh