PDA

View Full Version : 3 different questions

cabowers
21-08-2013, 20:08
Ok , had a game of fantasy today and three things popped up that while we agreeded how to handle in game I thought I would see what the consensus is on the internet,

1) my furies were placed in front of my opponents mournfangs in such a way that when he delcared a charge and I shrank down he was no longer in my front arc. This was deemed an automatic failed charge and because I did not declare a flee reaction he could not redirect. Is this correct.

2) my blue scribes roll for their spell and then auto cast without power dice, is this correct or do you need to use power dice to cast it still. Also if they roll a remains in play spell what happens the following turn when they no longer know it.

3) a skull cannon is troop type chariot and fires as a cannon, but no where does it say it misfires as one. In the BRB it specifically states the WAR MACHINE is removed as all cannons, mortars, stone throwers have the troop type WAR MACHINE. the other examples such as a hellcannon (MONSTER) & ironblaster (CHARIOT) have specific rules regarding misfires in fact so does the blue chariot so am I right in assuming that if the skullcannon misfires nothing happens as the war machine cannot be removed as it itself is a chariot, the chariot survives but the cannon is destroyed or the entire model is destroyed.

Thanks in advance

Mr Bump
21-08-2013, 20:24
1. If you mean by shrinking down, switching from skirmish formation to ranking up for combat. This is done after the charge is completed so charge should have stood.

2. Blue scribes still need to roll for casting value, any remains in play spells cast would still remain until dispelled

3. Don't have my rule/army book on me but pretty sure it says something about being treated as a normal war machine when firing so can blow up from a misfire I think.

ArtificerArmour
21-08-2013, 20:27
Questions about the daemon book?!?! well I never!!

1) At time of declaration if the furies are a viable target and in the front arc then it is a frontal charge, regardless of skirmishes shrinking

2) Spells count as a bound spell equal to their casting value, you have to roll dice.

3) The whole chariot is removed as a casualty. All 135points of it.

huitzilopochtli
21-08-2013, 20:47
Regarding q1, I was given this link a while back. https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14JSOKks_7eyeecC8HZ0N-8gQj82YBjG0iw1s-RneOt8

Hope it helps. :)

cabowers
21-08-2013, 21:07
That doc does help as it does state in the rulebook that shrinking happens after charge is declared but before the charging unit is moved, therefore it is a valid all be it douche move.

Lord Inquisitor
21-08-2013, 21:07
1) my furies were placed in front of my opponents mournfangs in such a way that when he delcared a charge and I shrank down he was no longer in my front arc. This was deemed an automatic failed charge and because I did not declare a flee reaction he could not redirect. Is this correct.
Edit:

Okay, notice that the issue in the "worst play" example is that the unit can't contact the skirmishing unit with just one wheel of 90-degrees.

Artificer is right therefore, that if the skirmisher unit is in the arc at the moment of declaration, you can complete the charge even if they form up outside your charge arc providing (a) you don't wheel more than once at 90-degrees and (b) you roll far enough. Mr Bump is wrong about shrinking not happening until contact though.

2) my blue scribes roll for their spell and then auto cast without power dice, is this correct or do you need to use power dice to cast it still. Also if they roll a remains in play spell what happens the following turn when they no longer know it.
Blue scribes are an exception to the normal bound spells ... their spell is cast automatically with a value equal to their casting cost (much like 7th edition bound spells).

3) a skull cannon is troop type chariot and fires as a cannon, but no where does it say it misfires as one. In the BRB it specifically states the WAR MACHINE is removed as all cannons, mortars, stone throwers have the troop type WAR MACHINE. the other examples such as a hellcannon (MONSTER) & ironblaster (CHARIOT) have specific rules regarding misfires in fact so does the blue chariot so am I right in assuming that if the skullcannon misfires nothing happens as the war machine cannot be removed as it itself is a chariot, the chariot survives but the cannon is destroyed or the entire model is destroyed.
Unfortunately the war machine rules don't really distinguish between "unit type war machine" and "war machine weapons" very well. There's a whole can of worms here.

But basically, yes, the skullcannon counts as a war machine when firing and the whole model is affected by any misfire.

huitzilopochtli
21-08-2013, 21:12
That doc does help as it does state in the rulebook that shrinking happens after charge is declared but before the charging unit is moved, therefore it is a valid all be it douche move.

Yep.

@LordInquisitor - edit, never mind.

Lord Inquisitor
21-08-2013, 21:17
Yup, I got that. I didn't edit fast enough! ;)

huitzilopochtli
21-08-2013, 21:21
Yup, I got that. I didn't edit fast enough! ;)

Me either. Stupid phone. :P