PDA

View Full Version : Using WoC Marauder Cavalry

Korpacz
26-08-2013, 07:24
I've been having difficulty getting my points worth from MCav. For a long time I felt that warhounds were the clearly superior choice because they did everything the MCav do for a fraction of the point cost. You can get 4 units of dogs for the price of 1 unit of MoS Mcav with shields spears flails and Std+Music

I started taking MCav for mobile banners for Blood and Glory and scenarios that required holding table quarters with banners. There are quite a few tournaments that use these rules. Then I had some great success with them against artillery and some success with them against chaff so I started coming around to the realization that they could work alongside my warhounds.

The problem is, in some games they're great, while in other games, particularly those against opponents with no soft/easy points to pick-up, I find it very hard to make them useful. I'm talking about armies like WoC, most H/E armies due to ASF, lizardmen, etc. I've come to realize one of my problems is that I'm moving them to the best position for them THIS turn, when I really need to be thinking about the best position for them NEXT turn (after this turn is resolved they should be ready to (1) charge fleeing units, (2) sit behind units that will break to make them bounce off the board, (3) prevent opponents' units from setting up in a good spot for fear of being flank/rear charged by the MCav, etc.)

So, how do you guys get the most out of your MCav. I know they're good at hunting down cannons and killing stuff like sabertusks, but when they're not performing those functions, what do you do with them?

Lord Solar Plexus
26-08-2013, 09:19
I've been having difficulty getting my points worth from MCav. For a long time I felt that warhounds were the clearly superior choice because they did everything the MCav do for a fraction of the point cost. You can get 4 units of dogs for the price of 1 unit of MoS Mcav with shields spears flails and Std+Music

First of all, my points worth is a difficult and vague concept. It's not that dogs kill all that much but I guess I know what you mean - MHorse don't accomplish what you expect them to.

However, you can turn your description around: For that price, you get S5, MoS, S4, Std, Muso, a save and vanguard included (or does that go away with shields?). Please note that I don't think you need spears AND flails either but anyway, dogs don't have that. That means your Light Cavalry can hit a flank to support a combat, give you a hard to catch standard for B & G that incidentally can stand up to some Eagle hunting them. They also don't need much babysitting - dogs run away fast and are hard to rally without some leader. It's pretty much what you say.

If they don't have a good target, I either get behind the enemy and plink away, conserving their points - which in itself is a good thing - or I use them as diverters. They're more expensive than dogs but still expendable like Reavers or Pistoliers.

MLP
26-08-2013, 10:15
I use mine with MoN, flails, throwing axes, musician standard and often shields. Generally use them the clear obvious easy targets but if there are none I use them as a flank or rear charge. They'll add 2-4 points CR quite easily which can often be enough.