PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ogres --- how do you arm yours

Bigman
27-08-2013, 00:40
Simple. Which is the best weapon load out on them in your view. Do you take them at all?

I take GW because str 7 still means something. WiC have lots of access to str 5 so adw isn't needed.

Nubl0
27-08-2013, 00:46
Prefer GW, str 7 is great for cracking all the high armour cav that's going around. Also their Initiative sucks anyway so a halberd isn't really worth it imo.

Sineater81
27-08-2013, 02:05
GW is a must. Anything else is a waste at initiative 2 . I have played them in 3 RTT and they rarely preform well against anything with a great deal of attacks they are fast flankers. I put them into a skull crushers flank last RTT and watched them munch them to dust at strength 7 any cavalry has a fighting chance at strength 5 or 6 but at strength 7 your save is looking bleak. Also these are your answers to tough 6 monsters and also fast enough to hunt war machines. If you are running a particular chaos lore I find they work the best with the Lore of Nurgle. They are fun to run because hey they are great new models and they are DRAGON OGRES! As long as you know when you take them they wont always be useful you will be fine.

Jind_Singh
27-08-2013, 05:49
I didn't think that you could mark them at all - thy are slaves to Chaos so don't get eye of the Gods OR ability to be marked??

I run mine with Halberds as while strength seven is MASSIVE I find ini 2 to be fine -so Halberds I took!

There are enough Ogre, OnG, Undead, Dwarf, and Lizardmen players in the area that I strike at the same time

Bigman
27-08-2013, 10:25
He means a spell lore in your army, not marking them.

GlenMorray
27-08-2013, 10:41
I'd go two hand weapons for the extra attacks, that way you can munch your way through weaker Str units with low armour. But then again I'm a relative new comer to Fantasy so odn't listen to this chap! :)

GREAT models though, one of my faves!

Lordcypress
27-08-2013, 14:10
They are glass cannons. No staying power in prolonged fight. The best way to use them is in groups 3 to 4. Keep them small an manoeuvrable. Kill monsters, clear annoying chaff, and flank attack once your main blocks are engaged. This last one is their best use in my opinion.

Importman
27-08-2013, 14:17
They are glass cannons. No staying power in prolonged fight. The best way to use them is in groups 3 to 4. Keep them small an manoeuvrable. Kill monsters, clear annoying chaff, and flank attack once your main blocks are engaged. This last one is their best use in my opinion.

Exactly that.

I tried using them in blocks of 6 but then they are so expensive points wise you can easily get a block of decent sized infantry with a lot more staying power in, i.e. chaos warriors.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Bigman
27-08-2013, 15:45
Agreed. They need toughening up via nurgle usually.

popisdead
27-08-2013, 18:26
At only Init 2 there are only a few reasons (chaos Warriors with GWs maybe?) to take Halberds. GWs to make them a can-opener. Helps vs monsters as well.

MLP
27-08-2013, 19:48
GW always. Adh is only giving the front rank the extra attack so it's not worth arming the whole unit for 2 or 3 extra attacks.

Halberds would be an option if your meta is one of the initiative 2 or less armies mentioned above. Or if against opposing GW armed monstrous units. But considering they're the same cost as GWs I just wouldn't use them for an all comers or tournament list.

With GWs the Drogres are at their best in my opinion. They can normally take a round of combat with 4 wounds a piece and then dish out the pain in return.

sulla
27-08-2013, 21:35
I use slaaneshi magic on my DP and shadow on my lvl2. If I took dragon ogres, I would probably go with halberds since I have a bunch of ASL or initiative modifying spells.