PDA

View Full Version : Base rule Inquiry, 25mm (Orcs) basing a Chariot Size base (50mm)

SonofMagnus
29-08-2013, 21:32
So last night I was playing a game against a friend of mine, he claimed something regarding base size that I had to have feedback on that caused..... a bit of a stir up among my gaming group.

I had a unit of Orc Boyz, he charged it with a Dark Elf Hydra, he based the unit, supposedly "maximized" attacks.

The hydra was on a chariot base, this is normally 50mm across, he based orc boyz, they are 25mm across.

He claimed that when doing so that in response I would only get 3 based ranks attacking instead of 4, despite the fact that on the diagonal a chariot base "Should" touch 4 models, after he claimed that I objected on the grounds of "basic math", then afterwords looking at base sizes he noted to me that the 25mm models ever so slightly (by about a milimeter at most) do in fact overhang, and because of that the chariot scale base DOES NOT rank up to allow 4 ranks to attack, instead denying me attacks on one side. :wtf: :confused:

Effectively his argument is this;

XX -Hydra
XXXXX - Orc boyz (but these slightly overhang "apparently")

He claimed the hydra DOES NOT rank up against 4 of the models because of this o' so slight difference in millimeter scale.... Is this him being gamey? or is this a legit issue that GW screwed up and made a 25MM base a 25.5mm base? It seems ridiculous to me and if anyone other then a close friend had tried it in the way he did I probably would have stopped the game as it seemed EXTREMELY rules-lawyery for a casual game.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!! :cheese:

theunwantedbeing
29-08-2013, 22:01
If his hydra can't be in base contact with 4 models, he's on an illegal base and is cheating.

Doesn't matter that GW bases aren't overly accurate.
Wrong base and refusal to follow the rules as if it was on the correct base is cheating.

Chariot bases are 50mm wide and 100mm long.

Sotek
29-08-2013, 22:44
But if he's on the edge then there's 2 infront and 1 diagonal. If he's not on an edge then 4 should be able to lay on the stabbage.

SonofMagnus
30-08-2013, 02:08
Sotek wouldnt the base size matter? the 25 base figs should have 2 in base, and 2 on diag that can touch, its a chariot base.

dementian
30-08-2013, 03:09
I think he is referring to your "diagram" where the spaces in your writing were removed before the x's for the hydras base. Making it look like the hydra aligns with the outside orc.

He is a douche for saying you cannot get 4 in contact with the hydra.

Sotek
30-08-2013, 07:00
I think he is referring to your "diagram" where the spaces in your writing were removed before the x's for the hydras base. Making it look like the hydra aligns with the outside orc.

He is a douche for saying you cannot get 4 in contact with the hydra.

I assume you mean the OPs opponent not me!

Pokoko
24-09-2013, 01:52
I had someone in my gaming group do this same thing. It was for a horde unit of chaos warriors versus a unit of 4 mournfang. He only allowed his opponent to have 9 models in contact because it was like, just centimeters off. He was right I measured them and every thing but, they are suppose to be on 50 by 100 base ad he was being a douche. Just refer to the website or box for the unit it will say what size base it is suppose to be ,albeit slightly off.

Ramius4
24-09-2013, 02:15
If they're not touching the correct number of models, then they've either used the wrong base, or perhaps filed it down (illegally).

BattleofLund
24-09-2013, 14:46
If they're not touching the correct number of models, then they've either used the wrong base, or perhaps filed it down (illegally).

Or used GW's incorrectly-sized bases (cav and chariot).

We cut down on the arguing and simply use the theoretical, rather than actual, measurements.

herohammer
25-09-2013, 07:17
Yeah the GW cav and chariot bases are too skinny. They always have been and GW are too lazy to redo them or more likely they realize that 99.99% of players don't care about the discrepancy. GW advertises the base that a hydra goes on as being 50mm by 100mm though so manufacturing failure aside this is really clear. 4 guys on 25s can attack the hydra.