PDA

View Full Version : Random movement and skirmish

GiraffeCrab
01-09-2013, 11:48
It seems to me that the combination of skirmish and random movement can lead to a unit being extremely manoeuvrable unit. Does this combination of rules allow a unit with random movement and skirmish to reform to single file between units then rank up before contacting a unit behind said units. Assuming their movement role is fare enough to do this. Or to say to single file between a unit or piece of terrain then reform to make contact with a unit.

I ask as it seems that squig hoppers seem to be able to get into all the little nooks and crannies with great ease, and I hate them.

Mr_Rose
01-09-2013, 12:17
How are these units performing manoeuvres again? Those only happen in normal movement, and squigs don't have normal movement. RAW a randomly moving unit can only ever pivot and move in a straight line; changing formation is not an option they have without a rule to specifically say otherwise.

Spiney Norman
01-09-2013, 12:28
The rules for Skirmishers allow you to reform at any point during your move except when charging.

"However, unless it charges, a skirmishing unit is allowed to reform as many times as it wishes during its move" - p.77

There is no restriction to using the free reform in the remaining moves sub-phase, only that the unit has not charged, so I would say it can free reform as long as no model exceeds the value of the unit's random movement unless it would go far enough to contact a unit then the formation must remain the same.

Mr_Rose
01-09-2013, 12:46
Ok that seems fairly reasonable and also makes the scenario the OP described impossible; even if they had the movement o reach the more distant unit, they wouldn't be able to squeeze past during a random charge.

Sotek
01-09-2013, 12:55
But IIRC things like squig hoppers HAVE to move their full distance, if you manoeuvre and the like this could make that difficult.

Spiney Norman
01-09-2013, 15:30
Ok that seems fairly reasonable and also makes the scenario the OP described impossible; even if they had the movement o reach the more distant unit, they wouldn't be able to squeeze past during a random charge.

Agreed, there's no way I can see that any unit can make a reform of any description as part of a charge move in normal circumstances.

But IIRC things like squig hoppers HAVE to move their full distance, if you manoeuvre and the like this could make that difficult.

Yes, but if you check the rules for random movement a unit containing two or more models with random movement moves as a unit, not as individual models, so you are not measuring the distance moved by each model separately, you are measuring the unit as a whole.

Also remember that from the rules for making a reform you have an allocation of movement when reforming, it cannot move more than twice its movement characteristic. Now admittedly the rules are a little bit ropey here and probably werent designed with this specific situation in mind.

As long as you always reform around the central model as per the rules for making a reform and ensure the unit as a whole moves its full distance I think you will have fulfilled the intention of the rules.

GiraffeCrab
01-09-2013, 16:11
So say a unit of 5x5 squig hoppers reforms at the begining of its movement phase to a 2x10 formation keeping the central model in the same place, then moves forward X inches measured from the front of the unit as per normal. The units movement carries the central model past the unit in the way to then preform a reform back to 5x5 which brings it into contact with a unit to the left of where the unit stopped.

Though it seems that determining movement with a skirmishing random movement unit would be better done from the central model rather than from the front of the unit?

(I know this is a very silly scenario is is probably very against the nature of the rules, but if one can know the silly things one can make a case for why its silly and how to explain why its silly)

Mr_Rose
01-09-2013, 16:42
If the skirmishing unit isn't charging, it can't reform into contact to fake one.

Also, I think that it's also mandatory to charge if the measured movement would bring you into contact after the pivot, but before any reforms. That is, you're supposed to pivot then measure to see if you're in charge range and only then, if you're not in range, do you move straight ahead.

If you are in charge range of something (anything) congrats, you just declared a successful charge; close up and make a normal charge move.

Spiney Norman
01-09-2013, 16:43
So say a unit of 5x5 squig hoppers reforms at the begining of its movement phase to a 2x10 formation keeping the central model in the same place, then moves forward X inches measured from the front of the unit as per normal. The units movement carries the central model past the unit in the way to then preform a reform back to 5x5 which brings it into contact with a unit to the left of where the unit stopped.

Though it seems that determining movement with a skirmishing random movement unit would be better done from the central model rather than from the front of the unit?

(I know this is a very silly scenario is is probably very against the nature of the rules, but if one can know the silly things one can make a case for why its silly and how to explain why its silly)

The problem with the scenario you have described is that a unit cannot reform as part of a charge move under any circumstances.

With random movement units that are also skirmishers I think the procedure would be thus (though feel free to correct if I have made a mistake)

1. Declare direction of movement
2. Roll distance
3. Measure distance along declared path
4. If no unit lies along the path of movement the unit may make free reforms as part of its move as normal
5. If the unit would contact an enemy on its current trajectory this is treated as a charge move (see the BRB FAQ) and no reform is possible.

GiraffeCrab
01-09-2013, 19:04
Excellent, very very good. I have been having lots of difficulty with squig hoppers and how these mechanics work together.

If possible could you copy and paste the FAQ rule in for me please? I am having a look but cannot seem to find the part talking about random movements and charges.

Yup for the life of me I cannot find it in the FAQ.

OHh no ignore me i found it, thank you very much guys!!